Is a KC Roc / Roc 3 Really What the Number Say?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Is a KC Roc / Roc 3 Really What the Number Say?

Postby TwoChain » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Sorry if this is not the right topic area to post this discussion (I didnt see a disc flight section or something like that). I just got a KC Roc (max weight) and it is the best approach disc I have ever used! I love it. I got a few birdy drives with it as well.

However I don't understand why a Roc has a turn 0 and fade 3. If I drive with a buzzz, and keep it somewhat on a hyzer it goes left pretty consistency (given the wind). But the Roc always escapes too far right for me. With best results it S curves (as a driver). I always try to emphasis the hyzer on the shot. Why is it that Innova didn't give it like a -3, 2 or something like that?

When I use the Roc as a mid range then it does hyzer very nicely. I have a VP putter and that hyzers way better than my Roc off the tee!! And it cant be that high of a speed.

Are the Innova numbers just kind of pointless here? Or do they only assume you wont drive with the disc?

Does anyone else get this behavior from their roc? Do I just need to throw it like a SS disc off the tee?
RHBH: VP > KC Pro Roc > Echo Teebird > Pro Katana > Echo Wraith
TwoChain
Noob

Favorite Disc: KC Pro Roc

Re: Is a KC Roc / Roc 3 Really What the Number Say?

Postby itlnstln » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Is your Roc beat or do you have a lot of OAT in your throw? I have never seen a Roc turn on its own unless it was a well-worn DX or something.

EDIT: I just noticed you said you have a KC Roc. Is this disc well used? Rocs are pretty overstable, in general, especially when new. With a new Roc, I can throw over 300' and the worst it will do is go perfectly straight.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby TwoChain » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Hmm, must be me b/c I just got it in the mail today and I've only used it once. What can I do to prevent OAT?

Why would the same throwing style with my Putter / Buzzz hyzer if I am throwing it with OAT?
TwoChain
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Bead or the band in the bottom of the Roc is different to the Buzz. The bead can catch onto the finger tips or scrape the side of the index finger easier than on the bottom of the Buzz. You can have a perfect throw otherwise but scraping can torque the disc on two axes fluttering and turning the disc anhyzer quite easily. Are your fingers under the disc aligned with the rim which is the vertical part? That is much more susceptible to unclean pivot and ripping off of the fingers than aligning the fingers vertically or almost. The longer the fingers and thinner the disc the easier it is to get the fingers vertical.

Rocs have manufacturing variations and i have had fairly dissimilar kcs and dxs. Good Buzzes are easy to spot flat top concave wing and non drooping outer edge makes them non flippy. That is the majority of them now in z. If the Buzz works maybe you should use it if grip modification does not help with the Roc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby TwoChain » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:03 am

I love the Roc for approaches but maybe it's not the best choice for drives yet. When I approach it's a standstill and controlled. When I drive I might be thinking I am going for power and just sort of blank out for a sec and try to hard. The funny thing is the "easy" holes are normally what kill my score. I reach for the VP a lot because I know how it flys and it's very controllable. I used to suck with it until I emphasized more hyzer and worked on my technique. Maybe I just gotta trust the Roc a little more and not kill it so much. That may be throwing me off.

I have been reading about follow through angle, I am going to try to emphasis a low to high release. I was going for "flat" drives and that's when it turns over.

As for the grip. My index finger curls under the disc with the bead between my top joint. Then I use the modified fan grip with my fingers stacked on my pinky. I think I am going for the fork grip? I could consider moving it so it's along the bead instead of curled under if it's catching.

I would love to get my drive down with this disc. I can throw it far! It is just a little inconstant right now.

Do you have a pic or visual of the grip you described?
TwoChain
Noob

Postby TwoChain » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:48 pm

Quick update: In today's round, I matched my top score at the local course at -1. And the thing is I missed about 4 birdy puts too! Also my Pro Katana turned over on hole 18 when I was sitting at -2 (so touchy). When driving with the KC Pro Roc I got around 3 birdies! The release follow through low to high was what I needed. I also put my finger along the bead instead of tucked under. The KC Roc even hit the poll twice! Thanks for the advice. Anyone with this issue remember low to high! It even helped me with my Katana (doing the oposite, high to low) for awesome long turn overs (on purpose).
TwoChain
Noob

Postby itlnstln » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:30 pm

TwoChain wrote:Do you have a pic or visual of the grip you described?

The "Fork Grip" (from here) is what I use on putters and mids

itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Return to Technique