Better Plastics

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Better Plastics

Postby jubuttib » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:20 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:Tarmac?
Yeah, my local course is built along existing paths (so they didn't have to cut down a huge amount of trees), which are paved walkways that criss-cross a small suburb and the green areas around it. On most of the holes there's a big chance of landing on the pavement, and because people walk about on the a LOT there's quite a bit of waiting included in the experience. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:55 am

I have only thrown clear Optos and they are brittle when hitting rocks even at 400' Does the opaque blend survive rock hits without broken glass like shattering pattern on the rim?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BentElbow11 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:47 am

Strange...is that happening at freezing temperatures?
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:51 pm

In the middle of the summer too. My pro Beast of three years main driver duty got sliced in the rim. It looks like it hyzered into a glass shard.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jubuttib » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:37 pm

The hell? All of my clear Opto discs (including Westside VIP discs) are immensely durable w.r.t. hitting things, and almost feel like they mend themselves after a while.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby BentElbow11 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:47 pm

He plays on a courses littered with broken bottles? :wink:

Clear Opto...great stuff!
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:57 pm

JR wrote:In the middle of the summer too. My pro Beast of three years main driver duty got sliced in the rim. It looks like it hyzered into a glass shard.

Now, wait a minute...your Pro Beast lasts 3 years without noticeable damage, but your Opto discs are about as durable as fine crystal on what I have to assume are the same courses?
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:14 am

BentElbow11 wrote:
JR wrote:In the middle of the summer too. My pro Beast of three years main driver duty got sliced in the rim. It looks like it hyzered into a glass shard.

Now, wait a minute...your Pro Beast lasts 3 years without noticeable damage, but your Opto discs are about as durable as fine crystal on what I have to assume are the same courses?

Correct. The course i play the most is on a rocky hill with grear view of the sea and some islands so it is a popular picnic spot and people break bottles. Luckily much of the glass has been cleared compared to what it was at its worst. I have no problems with vip so maybe they have changed the plastic to more pliable less shatter prone stuff. My opto experience is from quite a few years back. What irked me off of opto was an early Striker so that gives the time period.

The first throw with a z Pred on the same hill sliced it deeper than what ny pro Beast suffered. Plastic vs glass is a losing proposition and the grade of the plastic does not matter much.

Opto is impervious to damage from hitting trees. Rocks are the problem at least for older discs. I know that they have worked with plastic suppliers so it is possible that Opto is better now regarding rock hits. Btw granite is hard among rocks and is the most common stone here and on that hill.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby PMantle » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:05 am

BentElbow11 wrote:
PMantle wrote:
BentElbow11 wrote:Innova/Millennium/Discmania Pro plastic is barely better than DX when it comes to gouges and hangnails all along the outer edge. Too bad because the glide is superior, compared to Champion and Star.

I love drivers in Pro. I use them on open holes where they will never hit a tree. They last a good while using them that way.

Better hope they never hit a rock or rough surface either :wink:

Yeah, this one hole with a road left does present rim issues. No rocks in Central La. though. Nice soft Bahai grass.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:02 pm

JR wrote:
BentElbow11 wrote:

Correct. The course i play the most is on a rocky hill with grear view of the sea and some islands so it is a popular picnic spot and people break bottles. Luckily much of the glass has been cleared compared to what it was at its worst. I have no problems with vip so maybe they have changed the plastic to more pliable less shatter prone stuff. My opto experience is from quite a few years back. What irked me off of opto was an early Striker so that gives the time period.

The first throw with a z Pred on the same hill sliced it deeper than what ny pro Beast suffered. Plastic vs glass is a losing proposition and the grade of the plastic does not matter much.

Opto is impervious to damage from hitting trees. Rocks are the problem at least for older discs. I know that they have worked with plastic suppliers so it is possible that Opto is better now regarding rock hits. Btw granite is hard among rocks and is the most common stone here and on that hill.

In that case, it probably slices DX in half. I have early Opto and it's superb. In fact, some of the more recent Opto appears to be a dilution of the best early Opto blends, the clear stuff. Maybe you just got a weird Opto Striker.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:40 am

I had that shatter effect with two early clear Opto Strikers and one early Core.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BentElbow11 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:29 pm

JR wrote:I had that shatter effect with two early clear Opto Strikers and one early Core.

Gotta be below freezing temps.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:02 pm

In the middle of summer alas.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Equipment