A more durable XD

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

A more durable XD

Postby soupdeluxe » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:50 pm

Hey All
Up here in the Pacific NW its XD country. I use this disc for drives,ups and putting. I carry 3 of these in different stabilitys and cycle these every 4 to 6 months depending on how many trees get in the way of them. I love driving fresh xds but they lose there "freshness" quicker than I would like. I would like some suggestions from you guys as to a disc that is similar but would last longer as a "driving" putter. Some further info. I like the grip and glide of the base plastic but realize durability and dx does not work. I also like the low profile of the xd. I solved this problem with my dx rocs by adding a more durable kc pro to my bag and love how that is working out. Thanks
SD
soupdeluxe
Noob

Favorite Disc: XD

Re: A more durable XD

Postby veganray » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:35 pm

Vibram Summit
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby JR » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:38 am

The grip is harder on the taller Summit and it is slower and shorter. My heavy one flipped more than even my 165 XD. There really is no premium XD that would last longer than the XD. Wedges are even faster, thinner and longer but Star bends easily to break in way faster than DX XDs. Latitude Spike is way less HSS so out of thin discs even that doesn't work. I'd jump on a premium durable disc that is as HSS or more with as little LSS if it were as thin. Judge is pretty tall with the bead but nicely straight when new albeit slower and shorter now there is the beadless version the Warden but it still is somewhat tall i assume so you could use a Warlock as well.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby itlnstln » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:47 am

Disc Golf Values tends to have Champ Classic Rocs available (from what I understand, CRs are just XDs with a bead). The Champs run flat and are a bit more overstable; almost like a faster BB Aviar. You might just shoot Mark at DGV and even ask him if they have something like a Star or Champ XD available. The last time I needed to stock up on Champ CR's (back in 2008 or 2009, no less), I called Mark since they had just gone OOP. He was able to procure a healthy stack of them @ 175g. I'm pretty much set for life on putters now.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby veganray » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:55 am

Both STAR & champion XDs will not fly even remotely similarly to a DX XD. WAY more overstable & WAY less glide-y. Champ & STAR CRs, even more so.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Postby itlnstln » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:41 pm

veganray wrote:Both STAR & champion XDs will not fly even remotely similarly to a DX XD. WAY more overstable & WAY less glide-y. Champ & STAR CRs, even more so.

Good to know. That probably explains why I didn't like DX CRs. Even the Star CRs were pretty abysmal; domey and somewhat understable (or less overstable, anyway). Champ CRs are money, though. Flat, overstable (very straight when beat in a bit), and they don't have a massive amount of glide, so they make a pretty solid, low-profile putter. They also make a fantastic driving putter as they're extremely predictable.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby veganray » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:55 pm

Not sayin' that any of 'em are "bad" discs (I rather like 150-class Champ XDs for tiki golf), merely that none is a more durable substitute for a DX XD.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Postby soupdeluxe » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:06 pm

I had a buddy that putted and threw with a star XD. He let me toss it and like VRay says they do not fly at all like the DXXD. I plan on giving a try to some of your suggestions, I need to go to my local shop and grip them to get a feel. I wish they had a disc library so I could try before I buy. Thanks for the input
SD
PS Cycling DXXDs is not so bad. At 7 a pop i'm not losing much if I lose one. I have a stack to practice and I like the feel of them, but I am in the mood to try some different stuff, go figure
soupdeluxe
Noob

Favorite Disc: XD

Postby JR » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:51 pm

If you want durability with almost as straight a flight Coyote is the closest match and it is pretty close and quite thin grip wise too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jaydub803 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:37 am

I found an xd with no info and threw it in my bag since the profile was similar to my Discmania D P3 putters and the weight was close (175). They are almost the same disc in my opinion. I can throw the D P3 or XD like a mid on any shot out to 200 feet as long as I have the height available and they work a good slightly stable line. D plastic is supposedly the same as Innova DX, but the first run D P3's I have are holding up as well as KC Pro. Discmania has the P3 in C line now too. It has less glide and is more stable than the XD or D P3, but with some break in, it can make the same lines with just a little more power behind it. I have pretty much replaced my rhyno's with the C P3 for the longer putts because of this. If I miss a putt within 100 feet with it, I either came up a tiny bit short, or it parks within a foot of where it lands. Its a great wind fighter too since you can give a lot of nose down. Just have to remember it has almost no glide. I use these discs along side a couple of R pro darts and a McPro Aviar for anything within 200 feet. I might carry a gator or champ rancho roc for the same shots if the wind is bad. If you get a C P3, I would suggest going like a gram or two lighter than what your XD would be, and try to get one with a flatter top. The flattest ones I have seen have been in 170-173.
Build a bag a day and keep the boredom at bay!
jaydub803
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion shark

Postby JR » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:54 am

200' is way safer for dx and against turning over. I had akuf throw my 165 dx xd with plenty of hyzer flipping late to flat at about 260' landing at 320' on the first throw. Iirc i need about 12 degrees of hyzer to a flat flip at 310' with it. Akuf threw 110 kph into radar and i only 92 but normally only 82-87. We had as much spin on the disc despite the speed difference.

To me the p3 is way taller feeling than the xd. A p1 in d is tacky and floppy and very straight at 200'. And still much more demanding on a clean release than the xd finger scraping wise from the added height.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby money 21 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:40 pm

try a star wedge.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Return to Equipment