Troubling Flick

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Troubling Flick

Postby JR » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:56 am

I have not thrown a Nuke OS and know that not all flicks are truly overstable at winds or lesser spin throw like the side arm. NukeOS was designed to give the distance throwing champion Dion Arlyn something reliable that does not flip for him with his 700'+ of power and from those people that have reviewed that disc here it is all that. Stupid overstable for normal players so i'd use the search function on this board. The charts are not accurate always. Actually they are very vague and inaccurate at times so there is no substitute for getting actual more aspects touching reviews from people who have thrown them. I trust the NukeOS to be very much more overstable than the Flick ESP i have based on what others have said here.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:18 pm

I've not heard anyone mention a Max, Monster or Ape. I've thrown the first two but at that time they flew the same as a firebird. Someone who has more experience with them may be able to comment.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby JR » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:48 pm

The Max is certainly a pretty overstable disc, i haven't thrown the Monster and the Ape is not as good as its Discmania Brother S PD2. Giant should work too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Trent2011 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:35 pm

I just got back from a round at my local course. Met a guy out there that says he has a similar problem with the Flick just not quite cutting it on really powerful or windy shots. He said I should definitely go for the Nuke OS if I want something outrageously overstable. I watched him throw one into a sustained 20 mph headwind with enough power to put it ~300 feet down range and it didn't even try to go anhyzer on him. Although, I will say his release was slightly hyzer which could have been why it didn't flip. On the exact same shot, my flick turned over on me from a 5-15 degree hyzer and went almost the same degree anhyzer before straightening out.
Trent2011
Noob

Favorite Disc: Flick

Postby JR » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Count me as third but with ESP Flicks knowing not about current Zs from personal experience. There are beefier discs that handle headwinds with forehands.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Yig » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:53 am

Trent, which Flick do you have ? ESP, Z , ???

I thought I read somewhere that some Flicks are rated by Discraft as 2.0 stability and some are 2.5 stability.

I just bought a mint used Z Flick 2.5 tie dye that is 170g , super flat top. Probably the thinnest, flattest disc I've seen. I was looking for a disc to throw fore hand , as the majority of my drivers are understable and flip when I try to fore hand them. With the Flick I have , I can fore hand it pretty much as hard as I can with some anhyzer , and it will give me a slight left hand line drive under power and fade right and drop hard straight in front of me. Doesn't seem to have much, if any, glide. Disc stays about 6-8 feet off the ground and goes about 300 feet.

I tried throwing a Halo and while I can get a bit more distance from it, it flies much higher and has more of an S curve to it. I like the Flick 2.5 because it gives me nice low line drives for a good distance (at least for me :P ).
Last edited by Yig on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DX Birdie 175g, Opto Pure 170g, VIP Warship 168g, DX Leopard 146g, Medium Trak 157g, Medium Lace 163g, RHBH , RHFH , RHOH

Just friggin do it.
Yig
Noob

Favorite Disc: Old Champ Cobra

Postby Trent2011 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:57 pm

Bringing it back from the dead, lol. But the solution I found was a Nuke OS. I've heard a lot of great stuff about the older Flicks, but never wanted to pay to get my hands on one in any kind of decent shape. Nuke OS was a monster to get the hang of for me compared to the Flick, but she is sooo much fun.
Trent2011
Noob

Postby Yig » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:15 pm

Which Flick did/do you have ?
Last edited by Yig on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DX Birdie 175g, Opto Pure 170g, VIP Warship 168g, DX Leopard 146g, Medium Trak 157g, Medium Lace 163g, RHBH , RHFH , RHOH

Just friggin do it.
Yig
Noob

Postby Trent2011 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:45 pm

Just the regular, newer version. They are all rated at 2.0, but they are a speed tier below the Nuke OS.
Trent2011
Noob

Postby Yig » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:03 pm

Ok. So the one I have is the older model then. I didn't really know anything about this disc before I tried it and bought it. Lucky for me I guess. Based on it's flight chart on the Inbounds website I probably never would have thought to try it. I guess that just goes to show the charts are just a very basic guideline. Thankfully Aaron at WYSIWYG disc golf store suggested I try it as a fore hand disc.

Hands on and a few throws later and I shelled out some cash ! :D

Just friggin do it.
Yig
Noob

Postby Trent2011 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:47 pm

I loved my Flicks while they lasted. If you ever get to a point where you have that disc down fairly well, I would definitely suggest picking up a Nuke OS. It's a wicked little disc, but you can pull of some shots that you wouldn't even think of with a normal disc.
Trent2011
Noob

Postby Yig » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:23 pm

http://discraft.com/prod_flick_z.html

According to the Discraft site , the Flick is a 2.5 stability, while the OS Nuke is a 2.2 , but the Nuke is a higher speed rating.

http://discraft.com/prod_nukeos_z.html

I suppose the Nuke OS has a wider lip than the Flick. I have trouble throwing the wide rimmed discs for some reason. Not a small hands thing, I can palm a basketball. I guess it is just a matter of learning to grip the disc differently than I am used to. :?

Tried throwing several of the wider lipped, higher speed discs , I just can't seem to get a good grip on em.

Just friggin do it.
Yig
Noob

Postby Trent2011 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:46 pm

Hmmm, haven't had a Flick in a while. So there is a really good chance I'm off on the ratings. All I know is that a guy showed me one from a few years back and mine looked like it had a round top compared to his. The edge of the disc was within a millimeter of the height of the center. I haven't seen one as flat since then.
Trent2011
Noob

Postby dgdc79 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:20 pm

Find yourself a Stiletto, that's a fun disc. Fast as hell, and pretty much refuses to hold an anhyzer.
dgdc79
Noob

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby JR » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:21 pm

A local bomber managed to anny the Stiletto on a high throw about 90 % of the way bh so not the same thing spin wise. Not everyone can. Some like Giants fh too. Flat Flicks are nice but so are flat Firebirds that are more os than fbs with dome. There are flatter Bosses that act more os too and they work well for fh monster Ville Piippo. Again not everyone can give enough power to those.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Equipment