For Us Older Newbies....

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: For Us Older Newbies....

Postby PMantle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:09 am

Just trying to get you to speak his language :D
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Mark Ellis » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:47 am

aerohusker wrote:... sorry i only speak innova, lol. what i mean is i know those discs ratings pretty well.

https://attachment.fbsbx.com/file_downl ... gg3guEU_B8

ok, now i see...i have, one discraft a nuke ss, that i threw last year, it was a little overstable, but also heavy (for me) at 172, mybe i'll dig that out, but i think the key is lighter discs.

I clicked on your attachment and a blank page came up, so whatever is in there remains a mystery.

An internet diagnosis of your throwing needs is limited even with a video and much more so without. What is most useful for CONTROL is a disc, which for you, is dead nuts stable. Meaning that when you throw a good, clean, flat shot it goes straight. The farther it goes straight before it starts to turn the better. As you develop your form and strength that straight disc probably will not remain straight but will turn over (anhyzer). This is not bad nor is it a poor investment since you need discs which turn over.

Light weights are not always a benefit. You are a big guy and a max weight disc (175 grams for most drivers) is not too heavy for you. Light weights will fly slightly farther but they are clearly harder to control. That's in calm air. In winds a very lightweight disc is risky. So are lightweight discs worthless? No they are most useful for kids or a player with slower arm speed and limited snap. They are fine for players with good form and control who want a bit more distance and are willing to accept the risk.

Which players have the best control? Pros, of course. Do Pros throw lightweights? Seldom. Across the board the vast majority of discs in Pros bags are within a few grams of max weight. Why? Because control trumps distance. If the players with the best control won't take the risk of lightweight discs why do you want to?

With all that said a few grams is pretty much irrelevant. A dollar bill weighs 1 gram. A ping pong ball weighs 2 1/2 grams. I view anything within a few grams as comparable. Dropping up to 10 grams off max weight is a reasonable compromise. Beyond that I would be wary.

So what do you want to try? Everything you can get your hands on. Anything straight or mostly straight is good and worth experimenting with. PMantle's suggestions of Flash and Surge SS are dear to my heart but may not be optimal for you. Both are fast drivers without wide rims, so easier to control. They will be straight or close to straight for many players. That Nuke SS you own is something to keep working on. Eventually you may want to graduate to wide rimmed drivers.

Find the best players in your area and ask them for advice. If they are willing to watch you throw they will probably have a good idea what kind of disc you need and can spot any obvious flaw in your form (if any). Don't be shy. Most good players are happy to help. Ask him if he has any used discs he would be willing to sell which you could try.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby PMantle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:30 am

I hope to one day leave the lightweight stuff alone. Right now though, that 149 gramer is getting me to gimme on three of our openish holes(320 to 340). When in doubt due to wind, I just don't throw it. When I can reach those with something heavier, I'll then have little to no use for the Blizz. I've already over thrown one of those, and there is a street behind the basket. I'm close.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby aerohusker » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:40 pm

it was a link to the Discraft chart...

As i get near my 2nd anniversary (july '11) of finding this cool sport, i do see myself growing out of what is now understable discs, the Beast is now used for annie shots, and i'm having really good luck with a 159 teedevil, that flies surprisingly well into head winds. Threw a Dominator 168 today, did ok with it, one drive went hyser.
aerohusker
Noob

Favorite Disc: R-Pro Roc

Postby daleh2013 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:15 am

Most likely different discs work for different people. I have a 170 Beast that flies straight with a slight hyser at the end. My 168 Nuke SS gives me a great, long flex shot. I also throw a 165 Avenger SS on tight Annie holes as well. I do not seem to have too many control issues with the Blizzards I throw so I do not see myself getting rid of them any time soon and they do carry a bit further than my others. Surprisingly my Blizz destroyer flies great in the wind for me; especially into slight head wind. For winds left to right though I'll throw the heaviest discs I have since they are the most stable.
daleh2013
Noob

Favorite Disc: Varies

Postby aerohusker » Tue May 07, 2013 8:13 pm

update (if anybody is still following thread)

I've been throwing a Tern 168 and really like it, as well as a 172 D4, I've thinned out the bag a little more, took a blizz Boss out and a Starfire (used as a meathook)
aerohusker
Noob

Postby daleh2013 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:15 am

Nice...

Go with whatever works for you. I am convinced that a new player start with what is recommended and modify later on to what is best....for them. I think I have my game bag pretty much set. I did talk to and worked with a couple of guys that play lots of tourneys here in Medina and others regionally. Although I didn't know either of them very well they were exceptionally gracious and very helpful. The advice they gave me was perfect; I picked up maybe 30' consistently and my control is much better. Dropped 4 strokes almost immediately. The best tip they gave me was to not worry about raw distance but to work on timing and technique. The added distance came all on it's own. So, if you see anyone on the course that is throwing well ask them questions; they truly won't mind.

Play well!!
daleh2013
Noob

Postby ChainCrazy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:49 am

Ahhhhh...SWEET I found my people!! I am an old 42 and DG has really helped me stay in shape. I have 3 fused vertebrae in my neck and my doc suggested surgery. No thanks...I'll just play more disc golf with my son and friends. In the last 10-11 months of playing I have more flexibility and fewer pains in the shoulder and neck area......except for the normal strains of learning to throw and competing. I stretch and arrive early for tag rounds, dubs and tournaments to get properly warmed up. This sport is an excellent way to hike and play in the woods( we live close to Lake Tahoe). Have fun and keep improving!!
ChainCrazy
Noob

Favorite Disc: FLX Buzz

Postby daleh2013 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:43 am

Excellent...if you can function without the surgery then that's great...but; do not ignore warning signs either. If you're really hurting then get to the doc...preferably someone in sports med who can understand the motions required to throw. If you take care of yourself you should be able to throw for a long time yet. Have a ball!
daleh2013
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:52 am

I would go to a sports medicine doctor ASAP to chart the risks. Disc golf throws are similar to some exercises that are used to remobilize fused ribs to solarplexus and the opposite equivalent in the back so some movements are benificial to some health problems. Unfortunately some movements may crack you spine and make you a quadriphlegic or dead.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Grinder » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:44 pm

I have not read all the posts in this thread yet but in a few months I'll be an Advanced Senior Grand Master newbie!

Been playing for literally 5 weeks and have learned all sorts of things about my body! LOL Started RHBH but switched to teeing off RHFH. More distance and easier on my shoulder.

ANYWAY - just thought I chime in! almost 60 and loving life!

BTW - Champ Tern 162g(can't use)
Patroit 174g(go to driver)
Leopard 168g and 163g
Shark 168g
Buzzz 168g on loan (damn it)
Fuse 168g
(2)Avair P&G
Wizard
Grinder
Noob

Favorite Disc: Patroit

Postby aerohusker » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:38 pm

ok, so here it, summers over, i've been throwin for over two years now and heres whats been happening. I've dropped my shoulder a little, throwing more understable stuff with less of a annie launch....a bad habit i fell into trying to throw more stable disc.

Here's my bag this spring: This fall:

1.Tern 168 good distants, still new----------------------------------------not so new, still love it, great disc! For straight drives
2. Blizz Katana 157 (most consistent, farthest driver)------------------Blizz Katana 157 (most consistent, farthest driver) but will land to left (LHBH)
3. Blizz Destroyer 156 ?----------------------------------------------------- still carry in bag, hizer and side arm
4. Blizz Boss 156, also use for sidearm----------------------------------- gone, use Destroyer
5. Blizz Tee Devil 157 (alittle straighter then boss, pretty close)------ took out because it was becoming flippy, corrected throw and last week put back
6. Champ Archon 166 keeper (anhyser)------------------------------------gone ADDED SAINT
7. Champ Orc 166 ???---------------------------------------------------------gone ADDED ROADRUNNER
8. Eagle 170 Keeper---------------------------------------------------------- Eagle 170 Keeper
9. Tee Bird 166 keeper------------------------------------------------------ gone- use TL
10. Star Vulcan 166 ???? becoming a little flippy??? -----------------------flippy? lean how to throw...love it
11. Champ Starfire 175 (my windy driver) keeper ------------------------Champ Starfire 175 (my windy driver) keeper
12. Roc 168 keeper----------------------------------------------------------- Roc 168 keeper
13. Mako 170 keeper ---------------------------------------------------------Mako 170 keeper
14. Monarch 168 nice disc, roller, big anhyzer---------------------------- Monarch 168 nice disc, roller, big anhyzer
15. Buzz 175 don't use much, need to learn--------------------------------gone ADDED LEOPARD
16. Yetti 175 keeper----------------------------------------------------------Yetti 175 keeper
17. Champ TL 170 keeper----------------------------------------------------Champ TL 170 keeper

So for me, an older guy it seems like throwing more slightly slower stuff, use Eagle and Leopard as mid ranges & light, understable stuff as drivers works.
aerohusker
Noob

Postby daleh2013 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:31 am

I'll post my current disc lineup as well but of course it is subject to change. Worked on technique mostly and proper weight transfer; increased distance and accuracy came as a result.....who would have thought?!!

1. Bliz Beast......................hyzer flip- learned this summer
2. Bliz Boss.......................straight in L to R wind
3. Bliz Destroyer.................headwind
4. Bliz Katana.....................big hyzer shots
5. Bliz Krait.......................fairly straight
6. Bliz Vulcan.....................hyzer flip- more turnover
7. Lat.64 Diamond Opto Air....longest, straightest disc
8. Ch. Mamba 150
9. Ch. Beast Tie-Dye 170.......headwind heavy disc
10. Z Nuke SS.....................slight hyzer downhill
11. 2013 Ace Race Ti............first Ace !!
12. Ch. Leopard 165
13. Lat.64 Diamond PDGA Logo
14. MVP Tangent Neutron.......very straight controlled approaches
15. Z Zombee....................long approaches
16. Lat.64 Opto Fuse............long flex approaches, slight anhyzer
17. Lat.64 Opto Pearl...........anhyzer approaches
18. Z Buzz SS.....................long hyzer approaches
19. DX Kite.......................trouble disc
20. Blowfly 2.....................very soft putter for "killed" putts that will not run after impact
21. DX Aviar .....................most putting

Agreed, lighter and understable for the most part is good for me but there are times when heavier/more stable is better.
Last edited by daleh2013 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
daleh2013
Noob

Postby Mark Ellis » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:59 am

My bag is changed due to decrepitude as well. :D

Back in the day my primary driver was a Flash. I loved Flashes: straight controlled drives with amazing glide for the amount of power I put on them. I carried a stack, 5 maybe 7 depending on conditions and course. Then the Nuke came out and slowly won me over. Now I carry a stack of Nukes. For maximum power drives (throwin hard) a Nuke does everything a Flash does with greater glide and better wind resistance. At least in my hands. YMMV (saw this the other day, had to look it up).

I lost my favorite, beat-in-to-butter Flash and have spent a couple months trying to replace it. Grabbing from my Flash collection (darn it is great to be sponsored), took a bunch out to test. They were too strong, too overstable for me for straight shots. A few of the broken in backups were fine but not exactly what I wanted. I could force any of them straight but you don't want to have to force a straight shot. A flat to slight hyzer arm swing and release angle is easiest to hit a line with (for me).

A control driver is a special animal. There are a lot of tight long tunnels in our game. Tough, demanding shots. Sometimes vicious. The high percentage shot is straight down the center of a tunnel. Hit the first gap at the right speed on a straight line and good things happen often. A lot of backhand players use a midrange disc for this shot. Most sidearmers, like me, use a driver.

Tunnels are deuce or die opportunities. Lots of birdies, lots of bogies. These holes often decide rounds and tournaments. The good Pros on these holes are amazing when they get in runs. So anyway, this is a key spot in the bag.

So one morning I took a box of discs out to an empty course and found 3 tunnel holes that could be played in a triangle and practiced the shot (tight tunnel control drive) with the discs fighting for the 1st string. After 2 loops (empty the box of drives, collect them, then rethrow the best few discs. walk to next hole) a clear winner had emerged, with backups. The winner? a Z Tracker (1st run Players Cup). It was already in the bag but being used for anhyzers.

Not having the power I once did is changing the role of my discs.

Current Roster

Multiples (A few and more in different stabilities)

Nukes (primary driver)

Crushes (most underrated forehand overstable driver in the world)

Buzzzes (only mids I carry except for terrible winds)

Two (one overstable, one seasoned)

Z Trackers (straight and bendy tunnels)

Proline Rogues (long anhyzers)

Cranks (wide open, maximum distance, hyzer flip drives)

Magnets (putt/approach)

Rattlers (putt/approach, best disc ever made :D )

Hard to believe. No Flashes. When I expand back to a cart and can fit a few more discs a couple Flashes will go in. Gotta give them a chance to fight their way back into the 1st string.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby aerohusker » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:25 pm

lol, I see you also talk like your bag is the 'starters' and if they go out of the bag, they're back on the bench!

Also, one more thing and i know we're heard it time and time again...learn to putt!!!! good putts will knock 1-2 strokes off your game every time!
aerohusker
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury