Need a Tunnel Mid

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Need a Tunnel Mid

Postby zeramant86 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:42 am

I'm needing to get a midrange tunnel disc. The list of discs I have is in my sig. I can throw my classic roc in a tunnel, but where it's a little understable, it tends to hold the line it's released on and my form isn't finely tuned just yet. What I'm looking for is basically a 5-7 speed disc that will fly a straight line 5-10ft high, slightly stable.

I'm fairly familiar with innova discs, but not many others. I know this could be accomplished better with proper form, but I'm hoping a disc can help some in the mean time while I work on it. I've been looking at the Mako3, champion, 170-175g.

Are there any others that I should be looking at for this type of throw?

Examples:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.ph ... 5&mode=hi#
Click the image to bring up the window

Pic20
Pic26/27
Pic58
Pic69
My Bag
Blizzard Ape
Prodigy D3 400G
Champion Groove
Champion Destroyer
Champion Mamba
Champion Glow Valkyrie
Lat64 Saint Opto
DX Viking
Lat64 River Gold
Prodigy F2 Clear
Cheetah DX
Classic Roc R+
Champion Classic Aviar
Omega AP
Wizard SSS
DX Birdie
zeramant86
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Groove

Re: Need a Tunnel Mid

Postby BentElbow11 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:12 pm

I would say Mako 3, Aurora MS, or Tangent. But if you're turning a Roc...
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby Tokyo » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:44 pm

I got rid of my buzzes and cros and mids and replaced it with champ leopard, I never could throw those like most to get good d and accuracy but leopard has has turned into a money disc for me as a mid
Tokyo
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champ Teebird

Postby keltik » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:57 pm

Fuse or Comet?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby zeramant86 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:52 pm

I typically use my champ valk or classic roc. The problem I have is they hold the release angle perfect. I can throw a beautiful low angle anny with either RHBH, but I need something more stable that will level to stay straight til it fades. I can do it with the roc, but not consistently.

I've got a buddy that has a leopard, may steal it for a round to try it out. I tried a friend's roc3 and hated it. It just feels huge to me.
My Bag
Blizzard Ape
Prodigy D3 400G
Champion Groove
Champion Destroyer
Champion Mamba
Champion Glow Valkyrie
Lat64 Saint Opto
DX Viking
Lat64 River Gold
Prodigy F2 Clear
Cheetah DX
Classic Roc R+
Champion Classic Aviar
Omega AP
Wizard SSS
DX Birdie
zeramant86
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Groove

Postby JHern » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:54 pm

Leopard is a ridiculously long disc for me, not a mid.

Buzzz is the best in this category.

Legacy is about to release the Gauge…Rico design specifically for this purpose, I'm certain it will be tasty.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:12 am

Too many candidates to mention but many have been. It is a matter of taste of grip and stability and ease of clean release and tackiness what to choose. Not mentioned other candidates are Warship and Axis with a nod to Coyote and King Cobra. The latter ones glide more and the Coyote is the fastest out of them but flip some after say 250'. KC does not but fades earlier.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:38 am

My Buzzz is straight through the tunnel, then fades out into the brush at the end. If I don't have to throw it too hard, my Meteor stays straight longer. Tursas, even longer. Fugitive being the best compromise of the lot for me.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Wordgie » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:50 am

I'm a big Buzzz fan and I use it on a tunnel home at the course I play. It doesn't get me the D I'd like to see , but on that hole it's a little better to lay up and go birdie instead of going for D and tacoing on trees and bogeying or worse.
Wordgie
Noob

Postby iacas » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:26 pm

Any of the Buzzz/Axis/Roc (seasoned) should be fine, or you can go Buzzz SS/Tangent/REALLY seasoned Roc and hyzer flip it if you don't want the gentle fade at the end.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby Mark Ellis » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Buzzz, Buzzz, Buzzz or let's see, Buzzz.

For straight shots or slight turns nothing touches a Buzzz. If the tunnel turns hard then I move up to a driver.

And yes, I carry 4 Buzzzes in different shades of stability.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Monocacy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:42 pm

Basically your choices come down to:

Hyzer-flip something understable (Fuse, Meteor, seasoned X Comet, super-beat Roc, etc.).

Throw something straight-stable (Comet, Mako, Tangent, beat Roc) perfectly clean and flat.

Flex something stable (Buzzz, Truth, Axis, seasoned Roc, etc.)

Any of these methods can work, and each will have their advocates. You will need to experiment to find out which method works best for you. Of course having all of the options at your disposal is preferable.

For example, sometimes a particular failure mode (too much fade or too much turnover) will be more risky. For example, #6 at Seneca Creek is a classic hallway - 300' dead straight. A recovery shot is usually available if you fade left, but turning over to the right usually puts you in jail. I usually flex something reasonably stable and take my chances with the fade. Other holes at Seneca have an OB creek on the left, so I will hyzer-flip something understable and take my chances with too much turnover.

I hope that helps.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby money 21 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:00 pm

there are alot of choices out there what i use is a SGM for shots like that or hyzer flip a flying squirrel.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:07 pm

On a related note...

The ability to hit a line with a disc which flies flat and straight is a skill which, when acquired, skyrockets a player's overall competency. Good Pros can do this with a putter or mid or driver. If you are not yet an accomplished Pro then this is a skill you want.

A good way to acquire this skill is to start with a disc which is a natural straight flier (like a Buzzz for instance) and take a stack out to practice. Don't worry about distance, instead try to throw a perfectly flat, straight line. Once you can do this, then work on hitting a line and still making it go dead nuts flat. With practice you can do this. When you can do this you are a stud and your competitors will fear you.

In this way a Buzzz is not just a great disc but a great teaching tool. Learn to pure your Buzzz.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:49 pm

^^^ I used to do this with Opto Fuses at a field, which worked very well except in breezy conditions. My choice of midrange for holding a line is now a Proton Tangent, because it will not deviate from the line it's thrown on, come what may. Understable?...wind?...untimely turn? Nope, the gyro design/effect completely negates this. The Tangent is by far the straightest flying and finishing midrange I've ever thrown...and I've thrown most. It also has a beveled putter-type edge which only adds to its perfectly neutral flight.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Equipment