Winter Plastic

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Winter Plastic

Postby andrew » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:02 pm

Yep, it's almost that time again. I'm wondering how I only lost one disc, an uber-beat yellow P-PD, last winter. I came close to losing my beloved Glow Wizard- besides white-on-white preventing approach shots, spent 2 hours getting it off a thinly frozen lake by throwing sticks at it- and despite owning 10-11 exact back-ups, now realizing I don't want to risk it this winter. One thing I did discover is day-glow green is somehow the easiest color to see under the snow.

Anyhow, my primary question is this: what should I get to use as a winter-use Wizard, both in terms of softness and color? My glows are pretty much Soft, but if you throw it in the fridge it certainly stiffens. How many S's thrown in a fridge=Soft at room temperature? I'm thinking black for color mostly because then my collection would be awesomely black and white, but honestly I found a couple black discs last winter and laughed at the idiots who thought they'd be easier to find.

Another question: flx, yay or nay? Like should I bother, because in the summer flx is the worst, but that's irrelevant for winter use. I could simply bag an esp buzzz, but would buying a flx buzzz for the winter be worth it?

Thanks in advance.
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Re: Winter Plastic

Postby Flipflat » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:47 pm

I have a orange chalky wizard that works great in the winter. It's firm (more like S than SS), but what helps is the grip, it doesn't really get that slippery, it somehow retains it's traction and feels more like cold flesh.

As far as FLX, I would pass on it for winter use. Flexibility is useful I suppose when you're hitting trees, but it's still pretty slippery in the cold and wet. For me, grip is everything in the winter. I use a "Sure Grip" warrior and element, both light blue. Not the most durable of plastics out there, but it's worth the compromise to stay accurate. Or perhaps a Pro D Buzzz/wasp?
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby andrew » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:29 am

Thanks; that helps. So now I'm thinking a winter bag of chalky Wizard, zero soft pure, pro-d and/or esp buzzz, x-xl, p-pd. Last winter I know strategy became short and straight, not being able to run-up and not wanting to dive into snow banks.

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby Stringbean » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:14 am

Summit, Ridge, Ibex, Obex, Trak, Ascent, UnLace, Lace, OLace
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Flx is slicker than it once was thus more durable thanks to the harder material. Bending is a secondary benefit grip is the best part. Flx does not lose the grip like Vibram does. X link starts out great but dries to become slick in a year. I have no idea if and how x link soft has changed. Original is surprisingly slippery and worse than x link. We do not have Pow'r Tac here but beeswax helps some. Mark Ellis swears by Pow'r Tac. There are electrical warmers to warm up your skin. Most are too weak. Even a Hotronic Footwarmer 4 is too weak unless put into a small insulated pouch. Then it works wondefully in the middle of the winter if you have the time to use it. Twenty seconds makes a difference like night and day and moving from place to place allows that. It is expensive though so maybe you can find a better solution.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby andrew » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:09 pm

Update:

Got a chalky SS Wizard in black online that turns out to be the exact same feel/flex as the Glows I've been throwing for years. Unexpected but pleasant surprise. Now need to remind myself I don't need a dozen back-ups of black Wizards. Or do I...?

Also got a Zero soft Pure that is way too flexible at room temperature but left in the truck overnight with frost in the morning it felt great, so I think that'll work perfectly.

Finally, got a Pro-D Buzzz that didn't seem to have much glide (I normally throw Z), but still decided to challenge that theory by throwing it across a lake (hole 4 or whatever Exchange Park, Waterloo IA) that I've never lost a disc in and it dropped out of the sky right at the edge into murky water and disappeared. I don't know what that was all about.

Later on found an Axis, called the number and the guy said to keep it, so maybe that'll be my winter straight mid....

andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby andrew » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:56 am

When it snowed last week I got a round in with SSS Wizard, Zero Soft Pure, Opto Fuse, new X XL and seasoned P-PD. The only thing I missed was an overstable option so bought a FLX ESP Predator... the amount that discs stiffen up in the cold is more significant than I thought. I was very worried about the Zero Soft and would never want to throw that flaccid thing in warm weather. I bought a little square canvas bag at Goodwill and my winter-specific discs fit in there nicely.

andrew
Tree Magnet

Postby andrew » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:32 pm

Maybe nobody cares but here's the latest: played a round yesterday when the temperature was around 16F. The Zero Soft was the only disc that still had flex to it, which isn't necessarily a good thing as I like firmer discs. I think the Zero Medium (that I haven't thrown yet) would work just as well but anyway Pure is too overlappy with my Wizard in this 6 disc mini bag and I was missing a Buzzz so making that switch for next time- gonna use normal ESP as I don't own a FLX Buzzz but the FLX Pred worked out well, was firm but still grippy. Got some crazy angle bounces off the frozen ground. Harder to concentrate on putts in the cold. Feet were frozen by the end. I'll be glad to be in California over Christmas.

andrew
Tree Magnet

Return to Equipment