Just picked up a Westside Sword

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Just picked up a Westside Sword

Postby Yig » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:56 pm

VIP 175g.

I've played two rounds with it. I have to admit I have a hard time throwing it backhand. I don't seem to get enough snap on it, it seems hard for me to get any anhyzer on it, at best it goes straight a short distance and fades left. Not terribly, but I can get equal or more distance with my Saint.

So I tried throwing it RHFH today. Yeah ! ! ! This thing cooks ! Easy throwing 300+ , loooooow long line drives.

Sweet. Now I need to work on my backhand . . . . . .

It is the heaviest disc I own, and probably the highest "speed" rated. So I guess that needs to be figured into my lack of backhand-ability with it.
Last edited by Yig on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DX Birdie 175g, Opto Pure 170g, VIP Warship 168g, DX Leopard 146g, Medium Trak 157g, Medium Lace 163g, RHBH , RHFH , RHOH

Just friggin do it.
Yig
Noob

Favorite Disc: Old Champ Cobra

Re: Just picked up a Westside Sword

Postby JR » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:14 am

Frist runs were not marked as such and they are shorter and way more OS than the later ones that flip at 400' power just a little and more in headwinds. FR does not flip without headwinds.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Yig » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:07 pm

Well, I just got it from a local shop, I suppose it could be an older first run disc that has been waiting around in a warehouse , but I don't think so. I generally have a hard time throwing higher speed discs backhand. I think it's just me.

I played another round at Mokena "The Oaks" today. Same story, having a hard time throwing it backhand, but forehand it is the longest distance driver I have.
Last edited by Yig on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DX Birdie 175g, Opto Pure 170g, VIP Warship 168g, DX Leopard 146g, Medium Trak 157g, Medium Lace 163g, RHBH , RHFH , RHOH

Just friggin do it.
Yig
Noob

Postby KrisRKeyes » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Yig wrote: I think it's just me.

I think you might be on to something here.. I'm not the biggest arm out there - average in the low 300s - but the my swords fly straight with a little fade, and they'll hold an anny line for sure if I turn em over. If I really get a good snap they'll take a nice S line, but if it's fading out quick for you or not holding an anhyzer line, my guess is form/disc speed. That being said - I'm no pro! So seek more advice! Haha

But I agree, this disc handles forehand really well. I generally throw RHBH and stick with anhyzers when I need to go right, but these handle the flick well.
KrisRKeyes
Noob

Favorite Disc: Star San Marino Roc

Postby KrisRKeyes » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:39 pm

P.S. - the sword has been my distance driver of choice as of late, so I've been throwing it often and on many lines.
KrisRKeyes
Noob

Postby Yig » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:35 am

Thanks for the reply. It does seem to hold angle well when I throw it RHFH , it has just the slightest amount of HST if I throw it flat.

I seem to be able to throw speed 9-10 discs with no issue RHBH , alot of times I seem to overthrow my Valkyrie , even when using a lot of hyzer it will power over to anhyzer . Perhaps that's partially due to it's low weight ? Lighter discs are less stable/more flippy, right ?

I think I just need to practice more and spend a lil time exercising . A bit more muscle won't hurt my golf game or anything else ! A few years back I was in better shape and my game/distance was better. So I guess that part is a no brainer.
Last edited by Yig on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just friggin do it.
Yig
Noob

Postby KrisRKeyes » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:53 am

Probably practicing form is gonna be the biggest factor. Watch a ton of YouTube videos of pros throwing, and read the "distance" threads on here. Distance is all about technique. My best throws haven't come from me ripping as hard as I can - that just makes me hurt myself lol. My best, furthest throws have been clean form, disc close to my body, good reach back, good follow through.

And I'm not super sure, but I do think lighter discs are easier to throw. I don't really know the the why behind it, but I've tried a few super light blizzard discs and turned those suckers right over. So, maybe try a sword in a lighter weight til your arm gets up to speed?
KrisRKeyes
Noob

Postby Yig » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:48 pm

Played a round today, been a few weeks without playing. Just too cold and/or snow. We had a heat wave today ;) , got into the 30's ! Was probably about 25 deg at 9am when we tee'd off.

Anyway, Sword did me right today ! Second hole at Mokena , IL. "The Oaks" my drive put me about 10 feet off the basket. Rest of the day was nearly as good. Lots of good drives with the Sword, had a few drives that I muffed and the Sword hooked me up. I had one that I just fired about 20-30 feet in front of me into the ground,the Sword just skipped, went another 30feet, skipped again and went another 30 feet, skipped again and went another 60feet. No lie ! Was pretty crazy. We even had about 2"-4" of snow on the ground , depending on location.

Seems to follow lines pretty good, it receptive to hyzer and anhyzer. I throw it RHFH , and typically put a lil bit of anhyzer on it. It powers just a bit left, straightens out and mildly fades right. Line drives, waist/chest high, 300' is pretty typical . Very controlled , straight liners.

Lovin it.

Just friggin do it.
Yig
Noob

Return to General Discussion