Westside Kalevan Miekka (sword)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Westside Kalevan Miekka (sword)

Postby JR » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:32 am

After i got traction and power on the newer Sword it turned out to be a full notch JFC scale less HSS than the FR i had with more glide thus lower power requirement, more dependable on under 100 % and messed up throws while going farther. I need about 4-5 degrees of initial hyzer to flip this flat when in calm conditions the FR does not flip at all. I was wearing a lot of restricting clothing in low to high 30s F and still got it s-curved to almost 400' line drive to 380'. Bliz Boss 148 s-curved (flipping kind i also have a non flipping lighter one) to 410' in the same session. This discs is a good compliment to the FR and frankly needs the support of a more HSS and wind neutral disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Varsi » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:13 am

JR wrote:After i got traction and power on the newer Sword it turned out to be a full notch JFC scale less HSS than the FR i had with more glide thus lower power requirement, more dependable on under 100 % and messed up throws while going farther. I need about 4-5 degrees of initial hyzer to flip this flat when in calm conditions the FR does not flip at all. I was wearing a lot of restricting clothing in low to high 30s F and still got it s-curved to almost 400' line drive to 380'. Bliz Boss 148 s-curved (flipping kind i also have a non flipping lighter one) to 410' in the same session. This discs is a good compliment to the FR and frankly needs the support of a more HSS and wind neutral disc.

Is the difference in PLH similar to the swords I posted a pic of at the previous page? At least the flight differences sounds similar.
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby JR » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:47 pm

The PLH of the FR could be a little higher even and the dome is lower. The new one looks like the disc on the right.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Jerbob » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:33 pm

Any sword throwers out there got their disc worn in enough to produce some hyzer flip action? I just threw a tp and vip sword, pro destroyers, star destroyers, and one champ tern in an open field with a little wind. The tern had a ton of glide, but I was trying to figure out a way to just carry the swords and then maybe carry an overstable driver for wind. I liked the way the swords grip felt compared to the destroyers. I think I like the little more shallow rim or the illusion that it feels more shallow.
Magic Wizard Roc Gator Eagle Firebird PD Destroyer
Jerbob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle

Postby JR » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:12 am

I tested my non first run new VIP Sword 173 yellow two days ago in winds and it flipped way too much at full power into headwinds that were moderate at worst. In calmer spots and rear winds i got mine to flip a couple of degrees with full power shots landing at around 400' skipping and stopping to obstacles at 430-440' with rear wind. Even FR Sword flips in headwinds at that power with my spin but it is not that uncontrollable if you read the wind because the need to compensate is a few times less than with the later Swords in terms of degrees of hyzer angle. So yeah Swords need a beefier partner to help in headwinds.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby ranger » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:45 pm

yup

I just had the same experience
ranger
Noob

Favorite Disc: Nuke

Postby BLURR » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:11 pm

I carry two 173g TP Swords, one is 8/10 and the other is probably 6/10. They are both hyzer-flip machines. The black one will come out of the flip...but the navy blue one is getting to the point where once it flips up it goes over and will stay over for 99% of its flight. I did however just pick up another 173g that is pretty domey compared to the other two. Any word on how stable the domey runs are?
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby clard » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:32 am

I'm looking in to getting some swords. Anyone have any idea what the current production runs of VIP and TP are like. For reference I max out at about 400'.
clard
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby slowarm » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:14 pm

A friend of mine has got a bunch of Swords. He really loves them and they're the only +10 speed drivers he uses. They're pretty new, not sure if they're latest run or not. Anyway, there are those flat, speedy, hyzer-flip machine Swords that go really far. I can throw those things up to 375'. You could compare these to the understable Destroyers maybe.

Then there are those slightly domey Swords that I have no chance at all to hyzer-flip. (All of them are in VIP plastic). I can fight some headwind with these, in calm condition they fade sharp in the end of the flight.

And then...I've got two Swords (TP and VIP) that are somewhere in between the above mentioned. Go figure. Personally, I like the flat understable ones more, but they might be too understable for a 400' thrower.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby BrotherDave » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:14 pm

I just got a flat 165 VIP a little while ago. It's fairly Destroyer-ish. It feels like it's going to beat into a very straight, broken in Destroyer type of disc. The 169 VIP I got used is crazy straight. I really like these bad boys, this is one of the few proper distance drivers that my short fingers can get a decent grip with.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby xban55 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:54 am

King wing width is 23 mm Sword is 22. So they are a different speed.
xban55
Noob

Favorite Disc: fryingpan

Previous

Return to Equipment