Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Vi

Postby Stringbean » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:58 am

You can fling your wrist forward without actively using your wrist. Think of your arm as a trebuchet.

Actively using your wrist is more of an advanced technique which requires a lot of timing and a feel for how to manipulate the weight of the disc. You can speed up the process by handling a disc while you are watching tv, during long commutes, etc. Focus on the weight that builds on the trailing end of the disc and work on manipulating that weight to propel the disc forward.

Have you done hammer pounds?
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby niq » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:40 am

You're supposed to let it happen on it's own. THEN, once you get a feel for it, when it happens, where it happens, etc.. you slowly build up actively opening your wrist so that the opening happens faster/harder than it normally would.

The important thing is that you get your body mechanics/form into the proper position for your wrist to fling open naturally (without any active motion on your part, just from pure mechanics). The problem is that most people don't have the proper form/mechanics to have their wrist flap open at all, and then they'll start to try and actively open it... It doesn't work that way and it just screws you up even further.
niq
Noob

Postby Timko » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:58 am

I agree. You CAN open your wrist up actively, but the speed at which the discs comes out is drastically reduced. I actually do this when I'm trying to throw a disc in from 70' or 80'. That another way to control short distances situations.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby stormseeker75 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:17 pm

I played tonight and I "pounded the hammer". More spin. More accuracy. That felt nice! I'm getting some strength in my arm which is nice. Finally, I'm getting somewhere. I can't tell you how good that feels. I'll get this in small pieces. Your help is invaluable.
stormseeker75
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hornet, Avenger SS

Postby Timko » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:08 pm

I wish someone had been around to help me when I was playing. I just remember watching Aleksey Bubis throw Rocs 400' with a flick of the wrist and wonder how that was even possible. I wish that YouTube had been a big deal back in 2004 because that dude was a freak.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/analysis/alekseybubis.shtml
Timko

Postby BLURR » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:50 am

Boobs was naturally athletic :lol: All kidding aside, that guy had such a goofy motion, but damn he could throw a disc. Short reach back, similar to Walt Haney...and then sonic boom rip it through.

Another guy that I wish could have been put on video is LaRon Harris. One of the best roc throwers to ever play the game. Timko, any chance you have some footage of LaRon?
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Timko » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:21 pm

I don't. LaRon plays a bit still and teaches golf, but his body hasn't held up well to age and he's nothing like the player he used to be. From what I understand , he taught McCabe a lot about throwing.
Timko

Postby stormseeker75 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:22 pm

I need a sensei to train me.
stormseeker75
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:50 pm

Oh no you don't! Or if you want to get a real rough treatment you can buy a Comet and learn to throw it without off axis torque. That disc punishes for every form of OAT immediately so you'll know it was something you did unless there are winds to mess up the flight. It is a cold shower to learn with the Comet. Think pulling hair and jumping up and down on the Comet. You have been warned and i am not kidding. It is a rude disc and i have called it a brutal sensei before because of the learnoing curve and harsh penalties for the smallest mistakes.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby stormseeker75 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:19 pm

Then that is what I shall do! I'm getting myself a Comet this weekend and I shall throw it! I'm guessing OAT is what I'm getting by not throwing correctly? I've seen the term thrown around all over DG forums.
stormseeker75
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:29 am

In that case i hope you are a very patient person :-D The disc spins around the center when thrown purely. It is not that easy to do every time. Then the disc spins also on other axes causing the disc to flutter or wobble. That effect may not be visible with very overstable discs and drivers that have enough gyroscopics to counter the flutter before your vision steadies after the throw. Most mids and putters and understable drivers won't stop fluttering until they hit the ground on severe off axis torqued throws. But really Comet is harsh to the max and will leave most heart broken. Which is why i would not recommend it to players that don't have good basic skills already. Then it is a ood albeit rude tool for polishing all the details. AKA advanced skills. It sure is an advanced disc that will drive new players away from the game. Not much else is as non beginnger disc as the Comet is.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby stormseeker75 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:11 pm

Boy did I throw well yesterday. All that right pec practice is coming together. I actually felt a palm ejection on one throw. I'm starting to find the sweet-spot on grip tightness. There was SNAP yesterday. A long way to go, but it's getting there. Can't wait to start cracking 300 on drives.
stormseeker75
Noob

Postby Timko » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:33 pm

Awesome man. Just keep practicing. While there are some 'magic' tricks that you can be taught, nothing can replace repetition.
Timko

Postby stormseeker75 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:35 pm

And now we've got about 20 total inches of snow in MI with temperatures well below zero. No disc golf for this guy for the time being. :) I'll reach back out in the spring.
stormseeker75
Noob

Postby Stringbean » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:50 am

No no, you have to keep playing through winter. You will lose 4 months of improvement by the time you shake off the rust in spring. I made that mistake last year. Just bundle up, tape some ribbons to your disc and keep throwing. With muscles tight and footing poor, you have no choice but to slow down... which is perfect for working on your form.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

PreviousNext

Return to Technique