150 Lovers

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 150 Lovers

Postby JohnnyBee » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:22 pm

JR wrote:That is nice to hear. Should make long putts easier. How do they hold height and how much less power you need for at the circle and longer putts? How much less HSS they are in calm conditons? I assume they cannot stand up to drives in winds. Is that correct?

I played around with them a bit today. Banged a couple long putts with them. They didn't do too bad in the wind, didn't get knocked down at all, but will be trying it more this winter. Definitely easier to get up to speed on longer spin putts and just lasered in. I will be carrying these along with my 168-70s and put them head to head. At worst, they may take the place of my 153 X link Summit I use for annys and minimal space putting in the woods.
PD / Valkryie / Teebird / Eagle L / Leopard /Comet / Tensor / Tangent / Anode / Zone
JohnnyBee
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:08 am

That light weight should help in the disc dropping in rear winds but normally three quarters of wind directions tend to lift putts. Which i am afraid of with 150 and possibly low 160 Anodes even though they are not lids when it comes to glide. Too bad that the plastic is slippery for my dry skin in winter temps up here living with polar bear approved temps. That lower weight may reduce the required grip strength allowing a loose enough arm for good enough technique for accuracy. I have tried to force myself to use Anodes for putts and putter drives for a winter with electrical warming for fingers and beeswax for the disc to no avail down to 168 iirc. When summer and dry is a joy. So i switched to soft x Bangers that get eaten up on my rocky home course meaning i use Anodes or Judges in the summer or a Ridge if it is windier. Not having bought a Warden yet i cannot say if it is hss and easy enough to release cleanly with my bum arm but i sure hope so. Soft Judge is awesome grip wise in sub zero temps. We get them in Fahrenheits too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby domromer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:08 pm

Threw a couple beautiful slow bombs with a 150dx leapord today. Sadly it ended up in the Lake. I gotta get another one. Previous to this I had only thrown a 150 champion leopard and it had much less glide than the dx. I gotta say the whole 150 thing has been a success. I switched my entire bag over a few years ago and haven't looked back since. A few months ago I had to replace my entire bag and I went with all 150s. The only non 150s I still throw are putters. I just can't get used to a light putter.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby JR » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:07 pm

Aren't at least some FL courses ravaged by winds at times? What do you throw then? 150 is not the best thing in the winds regardless of the overstability of the mold when at heavier weight.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Re: Re: New Forum Is Active

Postby domromer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:05 pm

Blake_T wrote:Well, I finally got the new message board up and going. The old one was deleted about 18 months ago. Hopefully this one will get a bit more traffic.

I've never had any issues with 150s, In the wind. You get used to a discs characteristics and make it work. I subscribe to the theory its the Archer not the arrow.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:23 am

Question for you 150 lovers. I am making a 150 bag and wanted some input.

I was able to hit 425' max with Destroyers and Terns as of recent. However, I am not wanting to start off with any wide rimmed drivers.

Here's what I have planned so far.

Champ Orc - I have a friend possibly trading with me for one that's apparently very overstable
S PD - Overstable slot
Valk - Max distance...what's better here, Champ or Star? Flat or domey?
Leopard - understable and fairway duties. PD can cover OS fairway duties.
Roc - Thinking of grabbing a few KC's and DX to rotate

Putters - this is where I could use some help. I am tempted to get the Vibrams since they won't wear down over time, and I fear that any other base plastic in 150 class will wear down really fast. I want a slightly overstable mold and a stable (straight) mold. I feel competent with my forehand game so I don't necessarily need an understable mold.

Medium VP
Medium Ridge
DX Rhyno (are they all domey?)
Classic Aviar
D P2
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:26 am

Fightingthetide wrote:Question for you 150 lovers. I am making a 150 bag and wanted some input.

I was able to hit 425' max with Destroyers and Terns as of recent. However, I am not wanting to start off with any wide rimmed drivers.

Champ Orc - I have a friend possibly trading with me for one that's apparently very overstable
S PD - Overstable slot

Putters - this is where I could use some help. I am tempted to get the Vibrams since they won't wear down over time, and I fear that any other base plastic in 150 class will wear down really fast. I want a slightly overstable mold and a stable (straight) mold. I feel competent with my forehand game so I don't necessarily need an understable mold.

Medium VP
Medium Ridge
Classic Aviar
D P2

If you don't want to go for a dx valk I'd go star. Also there is a very nice gummy champ 150 leopard out there.I prefer dx but the 150 champ leopard is by far the nicest champ disc I've thrown. How about a 150 wizard? Baseline plastic is pretty tough. My putter if going on 6 years and it still kicks ass. I've got a soft glow for putts and a hard slick for approaches.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby JR » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:53 pm

At your power the Valk flips a lot and there is no need for the Leo if you can throw low enough with the valk to not fade a lot. 150 valk is great for quickly turning wide annies. Teebird for straight shots at your power. Wizard 150 is good a long long time.

but really mids are for placament and safety in all conditions like gusts and 150 is not gonna cut it at your power. Putters putt well but are touchier in drivers and suck in the winds. Fws in tb and pd are ok in some winds. You have plenty of power for heavy driving putters mids and drivers at least of the fw kind. so the only advantage is throwing over trees long putts staying fresh and relieving stress from achy places.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:45 pm

Yeah, I am assuming my game will be different with 150 class. My hand was injured from overuse, and I'm taking a few months off. Once I get back I wanted to start with 150 class to force myself to throw slower and smarter.

I won't be planning on hitting 425' with 150 Valks. If I get some Champ or Star Orcs from Hero, I may plan on using those for stable max D and the Valks for tailwinds.

Anyone have experience with the JO Roc3's? Tempting...
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:55 pm

Oh and are these the same 150 Wizards you guys are talking about?

http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_disp ... &PPQT1=327
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby money 21 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:56 pm

I picked some 150 scouts and wizard for a youth clas i teach each spring. the wizards held up real well for the kids.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby JohnnyBee » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:50 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:Question for you 150 lovers. I am making a 150 bag and wanted some input.

S PD - Overstable slot

Medium VP
Medium Ridge
Classic Aviar
D P2

I use both the PD and the Valkyrie as my primary drivers. I mainly use Champ Valkyries, since I bought 3 at once when I got them, and only have 1 Star, which I haven't given a fair shake yet. It seemed that the Star Valk had a harsher fade and wasn't as long as my Champs, but that is my results. Teebirds and Leopards also were a staple on wooded courses. I seem to prefer PD and Teebirds in Star and Valks and Leopards in Champ, but also have Star. The Star Leo seemed more understable to me at times.

I keep toying with the idea of getting a Japan Open Roc 3 in 150. Mids in 150 are the last I am trying. I picked up a couple DX Rocs, and I have Obex and Ibex in upper 150's, but only messed with them for a week or so, not enough to give a good opinion on them other than they take tree hits well. (Way to attached to my Tangent/Tensor combo). Will try them out again, as i am also taking a break right now, resting my achy shoulder.

I had no complaints with my 153 Ridge/Summit combo, very durable. I handpicked a 150 DX Rhyno, the flattest of the ones I saw, and loved it. I also got one of the few 150 class Anodes out there, good results with it to. I would love to see a 150 Ion to, just to get 150 MVP bag going.
PD / Valkryie / Teebird / Eagle L / Leopard /Comet / Tensor / Tangent / Anode / Zone
JohnnyBee
Noob

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:10 am

JohnnyBee wrote:I use both the PD and the Valkyrie as my primary drivers. I mainly use Champ Valkyries, since I bought 3 at once when I got them, and only have 1 Star, which I haven't given a fair shake yet. It seemed that the Star Valk had a harsher fade and wasn't as long as my Champs, but that is my results. Teebirds and Leopards also were a staple on wooded courses. I seem to prefer PD and Teebirds in Star and Valks and Leopards in Champ, but also have Star. The Star Leo seemed more understable to me at times.

I keep toying with the idea of getting a Japan Open Roc 3 in 150. Mids in 150 are the last I am trying. I picked up a couple DX Rocs, and I have Obex and Ibex in upper 150's, but only messed with them for a week or so, not enough to give a good opinion on them other than they take tree hits well. (Way to attached to my Tangent/Tensor combo). Will try them out again, as i am also taking a break right now, resting my achy shoulder.

I had no complaints with my 153 Ridge/Summit combo, very durable. I handpicked a 150 DX Rhyno, the flattest of the ones I saw, and loved it. I also got one of the few 150 class Anodes out there, good results with it to. I would love to see a 150 Ion to, just to get 150 MVP bag going.

I noticed the same harsh fade with heavy Star Valks too.

So you use both 150 PDs and 150 Teebirds regularly, or is it just in courses with wooded holes? I was thinking one or the other since my experience in heavy weights was that PDs can hit Teebird lines really well.

And yeah, I'm leaning toward premium plastic mids for the fact that they'll stand up to tree hits better. I need to go feel some 150 DX Rocs again, but I remember they felt too frail to be reliably stable for long. That being said, I'm still thinking I'll grab a JO Roc3 and Gator, and maybe beat in a DX Roc.

Could you do me a favor and give the ibex and Obex a few throws and let me know if you think they might work as a do-it-all 150 mid duo?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JohnnyBee » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:56 am

I noticed the same harsh fade with heavy Star Valks too.

So you use both 150 PDs and 150 Teebirds regularly, or is it just in courses with wooded holes? I was thinking one or the other since my experience in heavy weights was that PDs can hit Teebird lines really well.

And yeah, I'm leaning toward premium plastic mids for the fact that they'll stand up to tree hits better. I need to go feel some 150 DX Rocs again, but I remember they felt too frail to be reliably stable for long. That being said, I'm still thinking I'll grab a JO Roc3 and Gator, and maybe beat in a DX Roc.

Could you do me a favor and give the ibex and Obex a few throws and let me know if you think they might work as a do-it-all 150 mid duo?
[/quote]

I carry both 150 PD's and Teebirds in all conditions. I tend to use the PD as a distance Driver with the Valkyrie ( although I picked up a couple Starlite Wraiths that were money for me, got them in the fall), and use Teebird as fairway. Tend to use teebird more in the woods because the holes were shorter. You can't go wrong with either one. I have true 150 S- PD's, some that I bought later were 156-59 S-PDs that were way beefier than the 150-52 S-Pd's that I always carry. The 150 Teebird in Star is beautiful, and at times will go almost as far for me as the PD (depending on the day). I recommend it for anyone throwing 150s.

It will be a bit before I am out throwing again with this Arctic temps we have ( below zero), but i will give the Ibex/Obex another shot. The few throws I had , Ibex seemed fine for stable shots, the Obex did Ok for overstable, but not a beast like the Tensor. Definitely not enough to give you a true opinion on them. I will report back when I throw them more,
JohnnyBee
Noob

Postby JohnnyBee » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:13 am

I also went through my modest collection of discs, and found that I have a 155 Flying Squirrel that I bought ...well I don't remember when, but I am going to have to throw that in the 150 tryouts bag. That may cover understable to stable mid. I know they are hard to find, think I got it from Clearwater during tax return season 2 years ago and forgot about it. I can't give you feed back on it, because I haven't thrown it recently. I would love to find VIP Air Warships I hear are out there, but haven't found one.

(So there you go, more info for you FTT, that will not help at all until I throw them more )
JohnnyBee
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment