stop losing golf discs

Sets of drills targeted at developing a full skill sets of shots and mastery of flight characteristics. Players taking part are encouraged to post their experiences and feedback.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

stop losing golf discs

Postby jendayi » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:30 am

How can I stop losing golf discs? I just started playing disc golf and I really love it. But I'm not very good and I have lost over $50 worth of discs. Does anyone know if there is some sort of small tracking device I could put on my discs,so that I could stop losing them? Oh and I already write my name and number on the back of my discs.
Last edited by jendayi on Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
jendayi
Noob

Re: stop losing golf discs

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:57 pm

Losing discs is inevitable but it should be a rare occasion, depending, of course, on the types of courses you play on. If there are tons of water holes then mistakes get submerged rather than just punished on the scorecard.

As you develop skills (throwing and finding) and a better sense of where your discs went finding them gets easier. But sort of like aces you can go a long time between occurrences then have them come in multiples. The more acquainted with the course you are playing the easier it is find discs as well.

The better the players you play with, the fewer you will lose because experienced players are very good at finding them. I notice when I play with beginners that they often will walk far from where their discs actually went then start wandering and looking aimlessly. As a matter of self protection I just walk straight to the newbie shank, find it, call them over, then go after my own drive.

Certain snow conditions and deep leaves are especially challenging but most of the discs I lose are from throwing multiple practice shots (during practice, not in a round) and forgetting how many I threw and simply walking away from a disc which would have been easy to find. There are other threads on this site where prevention techniques are discussed and worth the effort of searching them out (the threads, that is). The most important keys are throwing bright colors and carefully watching where your discs go. These sound obvious but I see lots of newbies shanking tye-dyed discs and turning away in frustration rather than following their disc's flight as it deflects off trees.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Flipflat » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:49 pm

Three things that help, off the top of my head:

-light blue and pink are the easiest colors to spot. Tye-dyed discs are pretty but are like cammo in the woods/brush.
-make sure you make a mental note of a landmark where your disc lands: that tree that's leaning a little left, patch of dead grass, etc...
-throw cheap, easily replaceable discs
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby smarkquart » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Flipflat wrote:Three things that help, off the top of my head:

-light blue and pink are the easiest colors to spot. Tye-dyed discs are pretty but are like cammo in the woods/brush.
-make sure you make a mental note of a landmark where your disc lands: that tree that's leaning a little left, patch of dead grass, etc...
-throw cheap, easily replaceable discs

I disagree with the color statement. I believe that it is going to be more of a personal color preference. For the life of me it is next to impossible to see red, especially as it gets darker. By extension I have a difficult time with pinks and purples. Blues are okay during brighter days or when the ground is very monotone and brown. I have trained my eye to see day glow yellow, chartreuse, and blaze orange. My eye is automatically drawn to these particular colors because that is what I see best.

So my statement, while I may be the exception more so than the norm in regards to the colors I can see, for everyone it comes down to what you can train your eye to instantly see from your peripheral vision. I personally like day glow, especially in the winter, where that yellow contrasts the snow perfectly, almost really emitting a glow that can be seen even in the lowest of lights.
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Depends on the month

Postby Stringbean » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:08 am

I lose the majority of my discs due to stupidity... forgetting to pick them up after a putt/upshot or losing track of discs during field practice. I started getting in the habit of knowing how many discs are in my bag during a round and then counting periodically throughout the round to make sure they are all there.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby zeramant86 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:52 pm

I play with a group, who is all relatively new. One of the things we do is spot for each other. Whoever is throwing most consistent throws first then moves about halfway down to watch from behind a tree or something. We like to play pinball off trees accidentally. This helps us spot where they truly fall on doglegs and such.

Another lesson I've had to learn hard is take a safety shot that leaves you open in tight areas, even if you get less D. Don't try to muscle them through a tight area with a bad setup for your next shot.

Always mark where the disc lands by a marker. Mainly a tree, rock, or similar to locate once you walk out from the tee. I've had several where I threw and they were 40-50' further than I thought they'd be, from a tree ricochet.

Last, color is important, but it depends on where you play. Here, it's mostly wooded. I tend to stay away from anything green, dark red, or dark blue. I also stay away from champion glow and black anything. My preferences are orange, bright pink or red, yellow, or chartreuse.

I don't know what people will think of this, but I saw a guy the other day who had something like this put on both sides of his discs. It seems like this would change the flight a little, but I don't really know. He pulled a flashlight out to see the reflection? Anyone else ever tried this?
http://www.reflectiveshapes.com/Reflect ... ircles.htm
My Bag
Blizzard Ape
Prodigy D3 400G
Champion Groove
Champion Destroyer
Champion Mamba
Champion Glow Valkyrie
Lat64 Saint Opto
DX Viking
Lat64 River Gold
Prodigy F2 Clear
Cheetah DX
Classic Roc R+
Champion Classic Aviar
Omega AP
Wizard SSS
DX Birdie
zeramant86
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Groove

Postby Yig » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:06 am

Don't get so damned stoned before you golf. That might be a good start. LOL

Just sayin' .
Last edited by Yig on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DX Birdie 175g, Opto Pure 170g. Champ Cobra 165g, Star Mako 162g, Champ TL 168g, Medium Trak 157g, VIP Sword 175g, Medium Lace 163g, RHBH , RHFH , RHOH/Tomahawk
Yig
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova TL

Postby loonybomber » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:37 pm

I agree with Stringbean. I've saved the most discs just by counting how many discs are in the bag and recounting whenever doubting the # discs I currently have. Took losing a lot of discs because I forgot how many I was playing with so many times ... I learned how to count the hard way.
loonybomber
Noob

Favorite Disc: worn rpro leopard

Postby Yig » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:05 am

vivi123 wrote:Nobis jackets are supposed to be worn significant and bold, but a vital thing to consider initial is your body sort. To get a petite frame, look for a jacket with smaller prints that would go with your tiny figure. http://www.carteljackets.com

DX Birdie 175g, Opto Pure 170g. Champ Cobra 165g, Star Mako 162g, Champ TL 168g, Medium Trak 157g, VIP Sword 175g, Medium Lace 163g, RHBH , RHFH , RHOH/Tomahawk
Yig
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova TL

Return to Disc Golf Review Training Assignments