Vibram Disc Golf

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Vibram Disc Golf

Postby VibramDiscGolf » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi Everyone, Steve Dodge here from Vibram DG. I'm starting this thread with three goals and you all may indulge as you see fit.

1. Build interest in and answer questions about Vibram Disc Golf (just to be up front about this!)
2. Be involved in some frank discussions about growing the sport - pro side, grass roots, schools, events - what, how, and why
3. Let people know about upcoming Vibram DG products, events, and promotions.

---------------------

For example, I would start by saying: Run a Vibram Birdie Bash (VBB)!

The VBB is a fun day of disc golf. For $30, each player gets two Vibram discs, a shirt, towel and coaster mini. There are also tons of card prizes, CTPs, and several awards. We then play two rounds of Birdie Bash where we only count Birdies or better. On a par 3, you get two throws. On a par 4, you get three throws. Birdies are worth two points, Aces/Eagles are worth five points, and hitting metal is worth one point. The VBB is great for both tournament players and beginners as it is competitive but has a low key, fun attitude. Tons of prizes that everyone has a chance to win. Come out and see how fun "organized" disc golf can be.

The VBB is also a great way to be a Tournament Director (TD). If you have TDed an event, you will love how easy we make it. If this is your first time TDing, the VBB’s Tournament-In-A-Box approach will make it very easy.

For more info: http://www.birdiebash.com/
---------------------

VibramDiscGolf.com
BirdieBash.com
MapleHillOpen.com
VibramDiscGolf
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ibex

Re: Vibram Disc Golf

Postby klemle » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:23 pm

There is a birdie bash that is being put on at my home course (Carter Park in Bowling Green, OH) and I am very excited for it. This will be my first experience with a birdie bash and I am looking forward to it. I have one question about the rules however. When you say that you get a single point for hitting metal, that is on any shot correct, not just the drive? So if I chain out on a birdie putt, I would still get a point instead of the two I would get for sinking it? Either way seems like a fun way to get people involved with a couple rounds of competitive disc.
klemle
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Boss

Postby inthedrift » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:02 pm

Welcome Steve, glad to have you here. I think you have some great ideas and I look forward to seeing what Vibram continues to bring to disc golf. Some locals intend to run at least one Birdie Bash, it sounds like a lot of fun and a great way to get new people out.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby VibramDiscGolf » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:35 am

Thanks. I'm fortunate to be sitting in my seat and happy to be able to do what I love. Regarding the VBB, we've expanded the player packs and prizes this year and for the TDs, each player's pack will be bagged and tagged when they arrive to you.
VibramDiscGolf
Noob

Postby Stringbean » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:40 pm

1. Hi Steve, big fan of Vibram... favorite disc is the Obex. Question - any consideration in developing a line of discs in the speed 10-11 category? And if so, how far down the line?

2. I think sport could benefit if a larger effort was made to push for it as a club sport in high schools. I don't think the PDGA has any interest because high school events would eventually fall under the control of state athletic associations. Has Vibram considered developing some sort of program to get disc golf into high schools?

3. Any guess on how many new molds Vibram will produce in 2014?
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:26 pm

Absolutely echo what Stringbean said. The key to "legitimizing" the sport (aka wide acceptance) is to start with the children. Make players/competitors out of them and you WILL bring attention to the sport in the eyes of the adults. What parent would watch their child perform competitively in ANY sport and not be an immediate supporter (aside from terrible parents...)? School extracurricular's are essential.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:22 pm

I would approach through fun with younger children.

Steve i boycot Facebook and so i never got an answer to a question on Disc Golf Talk Radio about possible rejuvenating agents that restore the tackiness of Vibram material discs that have dried a few years. Has anything like that been found?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby veganray » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:23 am

I treat my rubber vomits once a year with Lacrosse Rubber Conditioner. They're as old as pretty much any Vibrams out there now, and still are supple and pliant.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby JR » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:55 am

I tried it last year and my disc got even more slick where i applied that stuff. Pliability has not changed in the three years i have had that disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby NOHalffastpull » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:31 pm

veganray wrote:I treat my rubber vomits once a year with Lacrosse Rubber Conditioner. They're as old as pretty much any Vibrams out there now, and still are supple and pliant.

V Ray-P

I can tell where you got those VIBvomits.

"You got them in your bag!"

Vibram rubber (especially the soft) only gets better with age.

Steve Godge, Thanks for your efforts.

Steve Timm
NOTeam
NOHalffastpull
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: still searching ....

Postby joecoin » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:19 pm

Stringbean wrote:...

2. I think sport could benefit if a larger effort was made to push for it as a club sport in high schools. I don't think the PDGA has any interest because high school events would eventually fall under the control of state athletic associations. Has Vibram considered developing some sort of program to get disc golf into high schools?

Don't classify it as a sport. I don't know if the FIRST program is controlled by any State governing bodies, but I don't thnk it is. And FIRST has many different levels of organized competition. Treat disc golf more like chess club and sneak the sponsorships in the back door.
joecoin
Noob

Favorite Disc: Leopard

Postby VibramDiscGolf » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Stringbean wrote:1. Hi Steve, big fan of Vibram... favorite disc is the Obex. Question - any consideration in developing a line of discs in the speed 10-11 category? And if so, how far down the line?

3. Any guess on how many new molds Vibram will produce in 2014?

1. Mums the word.

2. I agree that getting discs in schools is critical, however, I want to avoid the Pickleball Paradox. In high school, I (and millions of other kids) learned to play Pickleball for three weeks every year in gym class - I actually won our school Pickleball competition. However, since there was no legit Pickleball outside of school, we all completely forgot about it as a game/sport. In my opinion, for disc golf to be effective in schools, there should be a Pro Tour in place for the kids to see and aspire to (whether it is to go and watch or try to make it). This way, when the kids learn the game, it seems legit and if they like it, they will stick with it. I liked Pickleball, but will (sadly?) never play again.

3. My guess would be two or three, but who knows? :-)
VibramDiscGolf
Noob

Postby Stringbean » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:11 pm

Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby inthedrift » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:33 pm

Wow, I remember playing Pickleball in elementary school. That would've been the 80s. :lol:

I do remember enjoying it. :D
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Return to General Discussion