Disc recommendations for Newbie & Son

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc recommendations for Newbie & Son

Postby Timeetyo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:51 pm

Long story short I was visiting family out of state and he had picked up a beginner pack of discs for us to play with at the local park course. So off we went with a small group, 3 real discs, 1 ultimate Frisbee, 1 dog Frisbee, and a random cheapy....and my son had a blast and wants to go again (when it thaws out in NY). I have done a bit of reading and am looking to put together a starter set and was hoping for some advice in disc & weights for us. I figure that I'll pick up ~5ish discs and was hoping to get a good selection. I'm looking for:

- A good starter disc for an 8 year old (LHBH). I figure he'll want to stick with 1 disc for now until he gets some form (he was horrible...but had a blast which is what matters). Something easy to throw and make some progress on.
- A selection for myself. I throw RHBH and have below avg arm strength but usually pick up technical pieces fairly quickly. I used to be decent with an ultimate Frisbee many moons ago. Preferably something good to start and learn on as well as 1 disc that stretches me a bit to give feedback as I start to improve.
- A random disc or 2 for my wife or other random folks with no experience what so ever to join along and have fun. Just something super easy to throw.

So - given this criteria - what discs and weights would you recommend?

Thanks.
Timeetyo
Noob

Re: Disc recommendations for Newbie & Son

Postby luma » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:39 pm

I like MVP a lot so I'll reccomend some MVP stuff. Basically every brand has discs you will like, but I would go with the MVP Tangent for a Midrange, an Anode as a Putter and maybe an Amp as a Driver for you. Take weights around 170-172 maybe. For your son there should be lighter Tangents out there, I have one that is 166 g and my little cousin (10 years old) throws some 150' with it. So as I said, that's what I would take as I'm a little MVP biased :)
luma
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis all day long

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:59 pm

Many sporting goods stores offer beginner packs of discs by Discraft and Innova (the 2 biggest manufacturers in the market) which are designed to help newbies and sons ( or wives and daughters) :D :D . These are a good starting place as they have lightweight, stable (straight flying), easy to throw discs with a putter, midrange and driver included. Your background in Ultimate may be a mixed blessing as the overstability of many golf discs will require some "un-learning" of technique for long drives. For short shots and putts your Ultimate background will be very useful.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby money 21 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:17 pm

the starter ser set work well but if you don't want to go that way I would pick up a mid range or slow fair way driver and a putter for each of you. a shark, buzz , cobra are some good choices and then what ever putter feels the best in your hand, look for 150 disc for your son. I have a 10 year old son and he plays most rounds with a 147 eclipse, 145 roc and a 157 wizard.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Return to Equipment