Tired underarm

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Tired underarm

Postby tisjja » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:54 pm

So I am a beginner from last summer and now it is winter and around -10 celcius... i have been working on my form - indoors mainly, but I have also tried to get those putters flying on a schoolyard close by a couple of times. The last time I went out I got some pretty good distances around 90-100 steps (~meters?). Then all of a sudden my underarm just gave up and went numb with a lactic acidish kind of feeling. I gave it a weeks rest and just now I did some toweldrills with some good hits, but after 5 mins my underarm got tired. I have done some searching on the web but this doesent seem to be a common problem.

My question is short: What can this be a sign of?

English is not my language so sorry if it was a pain to read : )

Thx!

Edit: To be clear, my underarm feels stiff and powerless a couple of days after.
tisjja
Noob

Re: Tired underarm

Postby JR » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:27 am

Hi and welcome. Sorry for the late reply i had missed this post.

I do not know how accurate your distance estimate is. Even if it was 80 m backhand with drivers your technique may be so taxing on the arm that you may have pinched nerves. The muscles and tendons can swell from use but for me it had never been instantaneous rather than slow and worse on the next day.

Do you get numbness in driving practice alone?

How many throws did you you have when the arm got numb the first time? What is the least amount of throws that has caused it?

You should take a couple of weeks off of stress on the arm meaning not lifting half a kilo or more to see if the troubles go away along with anti inflammatory drugs for at least five days. You need to avoid all twisting motions and total immobilisation of the arm. Look up tendonitis on the net. That may be the reason but pray that it is not carpal tunnel syndrome if it is in the hand instead of the arm.

when you return to throwing make sure you are warmed up and have stretched mildly. Cold is very bad for arm muscles and tendons so you need a lot of clothes to make sure you are not too stiff. You should drink hot liquids often during winter practice. And limit the time you are in the cold at first. Half hour max at first. It takes months for the body to adjust to the kind of power you are generating. -10 C makes matters much worse.

Which throwing technique do you use? Were there any overhead throws or sidearms? Those are more taxing than back hands.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby tisjja » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:43 am

Yes, hand problems as well... Damn, could be carpal tunnel syndrome.
Here I was hoping my "soreness" i the hand (in the "Feldberg thumbflexmuscle") was because my grip was getting stronger and that it was a simple muscle soreness thing. Weird I though as I am a metal sheet worker and my grip should be strong enough from that. Scissoring metal sheets for work kind of makes the resting part difficult as well.

Hehe maybe my grip is TOO strong! ; ) Letting me hold on to the disc on a arcing throwing motion for too long when It should been slipping out earlier? (haven't filmed me so maybe I am arcing or something)... ; (
Anyway, I hope resting from DG activities will heal me up, and later, when healed, starting real slow with proper form awareness will fix this problem.

(As a side note: I haven't really felt any weight shift in the disc when entering the power zone, maybe I haven't been feeling it because I wasn't pulling straight?)

I have only been practising backhand drives and I think I felt it before, but the problem really got my attention for the first time when driving 4x (instead of three) putters back and forth about 10-15 times (maybe more). So yeah, that should cause some stress... after that the bad feeling never really went away.

Thanks JR, I will rest (hehe good thing its winter!) and after that I will make sure I am warmed up and stretched out. Btw, do you think a power ball is a good way to warm up?

If the feeling is still there after some time I will go to the doctor, carpal tunnel syndrome can be linked to my line of work as well.

Thx
tisjja
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:12 pm

Squeezing with a rotating motion is what caused me get an injury that required surgery. So squeezing the scissors is likely to csuse a repetitive stress injury which is made worse by squeezing the disc in between adding stress cutting recovery time. Sux i know. Do you have a chance to go to a work safety doctor?

In throwing i would avoid full power throws until you are weeks sfter feeling fine. The disc should not slip it should rip the fingers straight violently late in the throw. The grip is too strong only when it grip locks and sends the disc 10 or so degrees right of the target rhbh. And when the other grip lock inducing errors are not present which are starting the arm pull before the plant step lands and pulling far away from the right pec.

I have a powerball and it is fine when you are beyond the inflammation pain torn muscle or tendon membrane stage. Which is to say three months min later. Milder dumbell work witout rotation and hard squeezing is way safer. Rotations stretch the tendons fully trying to tear the membranes starting the trouble anew. Leading to more scars rubbing the tendons and muscles possibly pinching nerves. Nerve pain is not going away with regular pain killers but iirc arcoxia is a tendon trouble related pain killer that worked after surgery and worst pain stage.

When you are good enough for practice you should strengthen the tendons to protect from more trouble. Tendonitis is common among disc golfers from the squeezing and the shaking of the muscles and tendons. So maybe one those lighter neoprene tendonitis braces for throwing and a heavy duty one for scissoring might be good. You should allow the the blood to flow to allow oxygen replenishment and flushing of muscle work induced gunk preferably every ten minutes. Too bad i cannot do that at work and it risks inflammations.

dumbell tendon strenghtening moves examples are arm supported by an arm rest down to the wrist palm up lifting and lowering the hand to both sides of neutral. Then the same with back of the hand up. Then rotating the bell wristin line with the forearm from side to side. At first not pushing full mobility range and only a couple of repetitions with light weights. A pound or two. i would not jump to beyond ten pounds before a few months of trouble free light weight practice.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury