Vibram Lace, Prodigy D3/D4, Forehand?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Vibram Lace, Prodigy D3/D4, Forehand?

Postby zeramant86 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:12 am

Does anyone have any experience with the lace for a forehand throw? I've got a couple grooves that are starting to get good and beat up, I'm just looking for something a lil different to try out. I've also been looking at a Prodigy D3/D4, so if anyone knows about any of these and could give me some advice. I throw almost entirely forehand, my backhand is terrible, but slowly improving. I threw a friends katana, and I like it, but most of the courses I play, I don't have room for it to turn when thrown forehand.
My Bag
Blizzard Ape
Prodigy D3 400G
Champion Groove
Champion Destroyer
Champion Mamba
Champion Glow Valkyrie
Lat64 Saint Opto
DX Viking
Lat64 River Gold
Prodigy F2 Clear
Cheetah DX
Classic Roc R+
Champion Classic Aviar
Omega AP
Wizard SSS
DX Birdie
zeramant86
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Groove

Re: Vibram Lace, Prodigy D3/D4, Forehand?

Postby Stringbean » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:46 am

If you are looking for a straighter flight, you are better of with the OLace for forehand.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:54 pm

Each of the discs you mentioned flip at moderate power even with clean form without wind. Save for the most overstable Grooves that could be improved on high speed stability.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zeramant86 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:51 am

Oh, that's not what I'm going to be looking for then. I'm looking for something that I can crank without having a really hard fade at the end. Generally, for max distance, I throw my grooves with a 10-15 degree anhyser, for a nice long s glide. At least when I have room for the turns. I'm looking for something similar to that.
My Bag
Blizzard Ape
Prodigy D3 400G
Champion Groove
Champion Destroyer
Champion Mamba
Champion Glow Valkyrie
Lat64 Saint Opto
DX Viking
Lat64 River Gold
Prodigy F2 Clear
Cheetah DX
Classic Roc R+
Champion Classic Aviar
Omega AP
Wizard SSS
DX Birdie
zeramant86
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:42 am

Needing to throw anny means that the disc has a fair deal of fade meaning it will drop out before maximizing the glide potential. The only solution is to ramp up sin big time and few can make it so a less fading disc is needed. Max D is different to consistent accuracte golf distance especially in tunnels. Normally the least fading discs that go far flip especially FH. So ripping them in the wind gets to be a matter of guessing the amount of the flip. Two discs is a safer way of building the bag. What the less fading disc is depends on your power and the spin plus OAT or lack thereof. Some flipping discs for distance are Crank, Nuke, Beast with the Beast needing the least power flipping the most and fading the least. The Nuke fades the most and is the fastest requiring most power and the Crank falls in between. Tern is Crankish but worse in the wind. There are plenty of options seeing as here are lots of overlapping drivers on the market. Quasar might be a good option as well. These discs have dome and some need flat FH discs and the options get fewer. Flick is designed for FH but it has a hefty fade and power requirement with great spin helping too -a tall order. SOLF is decently flat and if you can get a 1.1 run soewhere it fades less than 1.2 no idea about current ones. PDs come in a wide variety and some of them could work. Some are not domey.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Carmina09 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:22 am

Nice post
Carmina09
Noob

Favorite Disc: Bella

Postby zeramant86 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:47 am

Just because I'm a noob, can you clarify a couple points for me.

OAT?
SOLF?
2nd sentance, ramp up spin, I think?

So more spin = straighter flight for a longer time, right?
Also, when you talk about flipping discs, do you mean like hyzer flipping them? I've got a valk, that I can hyzer flip backhand, but I have alot of difficulty throwing it forehand, due to the stability. When my form is perfect, it is typically my best throw with minimal effort, but it's not common occurance.

I played a round yesterday, and threw the groove about 340-360 measure from the phones gps. It still had an s shaped flight path, but not a very wide one.
My Bag
Blizzard Ape
Prodigy D3 400G
Champion Groove
Champion Destroyer
Champion Mamba
Champion Glow Valkyrie
Lat64 Saint Opto
DX Viking
Lat64 River Gold
Prodigy F2 Clear
Cheetah DX
Classic Roc R+
Champion Classic Aviar
Omega AP
Wizard SSS
DX Birdie
zeramant86
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:03 pm

Off axis torque makes discs flip a lot more. Oat is any form and grip flaw that makes the disc rotate on other axes than around the physical center of the disc. The sources of those errors are faq and you can search this forum. It has been explained over and over also check the main page articles.

SOLF is the abbreviation for Millennium Sirius Orion LF a good driver. Valkyries flip back hand at power and more so forehand. It is normal for a forehand throw to spin less and thus flip more. So you need more hyzer initially or a disc that flips less.

Hyzer flip comes from starting the disc hyzer which turns the disc flat or anhyzer early in the flight. That happens more with undrstable discs throwing faster and having worse form. The spin you have the easier it id to control the disc and also it straightens the flight both early and late.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby money 21 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:38 am

I would recommend a z surge ss to the original poster. Going to have better glide while taking up less room on the side to side movement.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Stringbean » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:10 pm

Good thinking, I wonder if a TD would be a good fit as well.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Return to Equipment