Distance Inflation... yes or no?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Fritz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:57 am

I think some people over exaggerate, I however have seen many times/played with many times a couple players here in CO that consistently throw 400+ on straight holes. I've even seen one of them park almost every time a 350 uphill. I don't believe people till I see it.

All I can think of is form, tho one of the players is like 6'6"-6'7" so he has massive arms and has the whip/snap to just launch the hell outta the disc. He also holds the record for distance for I think the Pro Masters.

The other one I know just has amazing form, he doesn't even look like he tries to throw the disc, yet it goes forever. I've seen him throw a QMS 300+ on a straight hole as well.

Personally I don't like to think how far I can throw, I just throw and hope it's good and then try to be consistent.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:01 pm
Location: Fruita, CO
Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby trogdor » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:21 am

Blake_T wrote:heavier discs are the discs that take most advantage of thicker air because they fly less stable, get more lift (than usual) and carry the most momentum into the later part of flight, where lighter discs do not.

lighter discs are best suited for thinner air since the focus is on penetration and thin air gives less natural lift.


Unfortunately in Colorado, we have thin air (high elevation, 6% humidity) and lots of wind!
trogdor
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: Colorado

Postby Fritz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:23 am

trogdor wrote:
Blake_T wrote:heavier discs are the discs that take most advantage of thicker air because they fly less stable, get more lift (than usual) and carry the most momentum into the later part of flight, where lighter discs do not.

lighter discs are best suited for thinner air since the focus is on penetration and thin air gives less natural lift.


Unfortunately in Colorado, we have thin air (high elevation, 6% humidity) and lots of wind!


Never a dull day @ Bird's Nest, gotta love those 40mph crosswinds.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:01 pm
Location: Fruita, CO
Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby trogdor » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:28 am

Fritz wrote:I think some people over exaggerate, I however have seen many times/played with many times a couple players here in CO that consistently throw 400+ on straight holes. I've even seen one of them park almost every time a 350 uphill. I don't believe people till I see it.

All I can think of is form, tho one of the players is like 6'6"-6'7" so he has massive arms and has the whip/snap to just launch the hell outta the disc. He also holds the record for distance for I think the Pro Masters.

The other one I know just has amazing form, he doesn't even look like he tries to throw the disc, yet it goes forever. I've seen him throw a QMS 300+ on a straight hole as well.

Personally I don't like to think how far I can throw, I just throw and hope it's good and then try to be consistent.


And you're leaving out quite a few!
trogdor
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: Colorado

Postby roadkill » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:00 pm

I noticed Randy Lahm is now a Colorado guy. Is he still able to send a disc pretty far? He used to be a Virginia guy and used to be among the biggest distance guns on the east coast.

I played guts with him a few times. Pretty scary.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1317
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: in the truck
Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby trogdor » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:44 pm

roadkill wrote:I noticed Randy Lahm is now a Colorado guy. Is he still able to send a disc pretty far? He used to be a Virginia guy and used to be among the biggest distance guns on the east coast.

I played guts with him a few times. Pretty scary.


fritz wrote:All I can think of is form, tho one of the players is like 6'6"-6'7" so he has massive arms and has the whip/snap to just launch the hell outta the disc. He also holds the record for distance for I think the Pro Masters.


Yep! Guts with Randy? Yikes!
trogdor
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: Colorado

Postby Fritz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:34 pm

roadkill wrote:I noticed Randy Lahm is now a Colorado guy. Is he still able to send a disc pretty far? He used to be a Virginia guy and used to be among the biggest distance guns on the east coast.

I played guts with him a few times. Pretty scary.


Yup, still has the distance as well. I love watching him throw.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic
User avatar
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:01 pm
Location: Fruita, CO
Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:06 am

There are some people that can throw. Most of them, I suspect are travelling pro's. One of the guys that was discraft sponsored (I don't remember his name; it was several years ago) threw a reaper on a 500+ foot hole. We lost it in the sun then spent an hour looking for it. It had crossed the parking lot, crossed the next part of the course, and ended up in the street.

Of course, we don't know how much glide, roll, or other factors affected it. This was about the time that quad shocks either came out or became popular cause I had never seen them before. He also had some discs I had never seen; I imagine they may have been crush, flash, and/or wildcat prototypes.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:45 pm
Location: south Texas

Postby bigs348 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:35 am

This is somewhat on-topic.

Anyone else notice distance increasing now that it's getting warmer? I spent my winter playing in New Jersey and Virginia, and most of the time it was in high 30s, sometimes warmer, a lot of times colder. I thought I was making improvements, but I couldn't really tell distance wise. Now that it's in the 60s and 70s here in Virginia, my distance is booming. I'm not sure what it was I did this winter, but apparently it's working, I just couldn't really tell in the cold weather. I'm now overthrowing holes that I couldn't reach before and I'm much more consistent in my distance and my accuracy on the big distance throws. The feeling is crazy -- the holes I couldn't quite reach with my Beast or Wraith this winter, I can now throw my TLs and my Firebirds on with no problem. I'm really loving the "throw the slowest thing that will get you there" concept of Blake's, now that I feel I have a full range with all my discs. I figure most of it is the technique stuff I've been working on for a few months and the amount that I've been playing, but the warm weather is really showing it. Gotta love spring...
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:27 pm
Location: new jersey

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:39 pm

It is, but is it the weather or just us? I think I can throw better in hot weather than cool or cold. Just the way my body handles...
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:45 pm
Location: south Texas

Postby Blake_T » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:25 pm

air particles move slower when it is cold out.

disc plastic characteristics also change due to temperature.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi
 
Posts: 5824
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 12:44 am
Location: Minneapolis

distance

Postby twmccoy » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:07 pm

I throw better in warm weather too, but I attribute this to the fact that I can grip the disc far better than when it's cold. IMO, having a good grip on the disc is probably the most important thing to getting your max distance more often.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler
 
Posts: 2168
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Littleton, CO

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Spinthrift and 2 guests