Latitude 64 Opto XXX. Is it needed for my bag?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Latitude 64 Opto XXX. Is it needed for my bag?

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:41 pm

I only ask this because my Gold Line XXX has just a small amount of turn now on it. I use it for many shots and if i'm not careful that turn kicks in and I'm not where I want to be. However I have come to the realization how this little bit of turn can be used to my advantage for certain shots. but still.

I've never used an Opto XXX or let alone another Opto plastic disc long enough to get use to it's beat in cycle. Would an Opto XXX pretty much retain is flight for a very long time or will it gradually get the same kind of turn that my older Gold Line XXX is getting. I mean it's still a meathook,but I would kind of not want that turn for certain shots.
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Re: Latitude 64 Opto XXX. Is it needed for my bag?

Postby zeike524 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:04 am

The opto definitely holds the stability quite a bit longer.
zeike524
Noob

Postby keltik » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:48 am

I've had the same Opto xXx in my bag for about five years now. it is just as hog stable as the day I got it. but I don't throw it very often.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Timko » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:35 pm

I've got an Opto in my bag that's been there since it was released. Mine is still a meathook, but it's gotten a bit straighter due to the number of forehand rollers I throw with it.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:53 pm

Thanks guys.

I believe here in the next month or so I'll pick me up an Opto. :D

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:53 pm

I have never needed anything more OS than a QOLF or Champion Teebird, even into a strong headwind. Both are rated at 0 turn. No OAT, no problem.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:48 pm

I use the XXX for specialty shots. Short skips and spikes mainly. My PD is too easy to throw 200'. I like something slow and very overstable for those shots thrown 80% rather than throwing a speed 9 or 10 speed driver 40 or 50%. On top of that, the nose on the XXX is massive and makes a great forehand roller disc.
Timko

Postby BentElbow11 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:19 pm

I've handled both the XXX and Trident. They both looked liked way overstable overkill to me, makes the Predator look ordinary by comparison. I know that some players use them, including Pro's. You can throw a 200' hyzer or skip shot with an Opto Fuse, for chrissakes! I personally just don't see the need for that kind of massively OS meathook, unless playing in a hurricane. JMHO...
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:57 am

You don't play in Kansas. Deal with some 40mph winds with greens with huge roll aways and you'll want something that you can throw like that. Sure, you can use a Pred (which I don't carry), but having a short overstable driver is something that can really give you some new options for shots that a longer overstable driver doesn't afford you.
Timko

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:11 am

Okay, point well taken re that kind of wind in Kansas. However, one of the courses I play regularly is right next to a freeway, and it's always windy. There are 3 holes that always have a strong headwind blowing in your face. And there are constantly shifting crosswinds on other holes. Into the headwind, I could use a Predator or even an XXX, but my QOLF's(1.2's and 1.3's) are more than adequate, using a hyzer flip release.

I suppose into a strong enough headwind on shorter holes, which don't exist on this course, an XXX or equivalent could come in handy for the reasons you stated. As for other courses I often play in Calif, including several in the Santa Cruz area and in Lake Tahoe, they can be pretty windy at times.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:55 pm

Yes forehand rollers this disc excels in. I couldn't tell you how many times this disc has gotten me out of the woods with a forehand roller only to roll within 20 to 35ft of the basket. That's a win win right there.

also it is perfect for those skips shots and tomahawks. If you have the power to rip it on a Tomahawk an XXX will be your new go to.

I like a Trident too,but it has a little more turn and a different flight than a XXX. I sometimes throw my Trident in when I go to the bigger courses,it's sweeping hyzer is needed for some of those holes.

oops forgot to quote Timko lol

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:59 pm

I hear you guys, but I've just never felt the need. And I play in some pretty windy conditions. Another windy course I play occasionally is Pinto Lake. It's on the coast. Holes 5 thru 14 are out in a huge open grass area. These are long holes...3 of the holes in that stretch are over 400', 2 over 500', 1 600', and the coupe de grace is 1288 ft. And it's windy as hell! Nonetheless, I am not pulling out an XXX or Trident at any point. I rely on a QOLF to drive with, and will use a champ Eagle or champ Teebird from the fairway, thrown low in the wind. Tomahawks?...take your pick.

Just a matter of my personal opinion re the need for super OS meathooks.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Return to Equipment