The Newest Greatest thing you just figured out

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Newest Greatest thing you just figured out

Postby inthedrift » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:27 pm

IthrowRocs wrote:While briefing over this thread I may have missed this suggestion, but anyway. In my return to disc golf, in Mi., in January, I have been using Blistex on the problem areas of my hands, and it has prevented cracking. It does take some rubbing it in, and of course you want to remove it from the grip areas of your hand (I never use it within a few hours of a round).

Hmmm. The same Blistex meant for use on chapped lips? I'm slightly intrigued as I too experience frequent cracking in my hands, particularly during the winter months.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby inthedrift » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:28 pm

I've been using Working Hands cream, it does a pretty decent job.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby IthrowRocs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:40 am

inthedrift wrote:I've been using Working Hands cream, it does a pretty decent job.

Working hands is great stuff. Yes the same Blistex, medicated green tube. It holds up longer than the thinner lotions or creams. If I do have any cracking, a layer of Blistex and a bandaid will close it and soften the area in short order.
IthrowRocs
Noob

Favorite Disc: Uhm Roc

Postby PMantle » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:19 pm

Mark Ellis wrote: The fashion police have never been happy with me anyway. :shock:

I always have a hard time getting over the untucked button up shirts. :lol:
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Stringbean » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:10 am

As in you still wear them untucked? Or you can't stand seeing them untucked?
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby PMantle » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:20 am

Stringbean wrote:As in you still wear them untucked? Or you can't stand seeing them untucked?

I always thought it was an odd look on Mark.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BentElbow11 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:10 pm

There's a reason they're not tucked, and not t-shirts.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby eegor » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:41 pm

Big run ups are over-rated. If anything, they promote inconsistency.
eegor
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby JR » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:12 pm

Big run ups only give a couple of dozen of feet for a 400' thrower. They are good for distance competitions strenghtening the legs and showing why gym work is needed for balance muscles. On open holes they are ok if you practice them a lot but they are desperation shots otherwise.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:03 pm

After 15 years I'm finally getting the feel for forehand drives. Took me long enough. :lol:
Tern|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Comet|Suspect|Judge|Wizard|Magic

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:05 pm

eegor wrote:Big run ups are over-rated. If anything, they promote inconsistency.

I just use 4 steps and they are very short. I'm pretty accurate and my average distance is at about 380ft.

And yeah they for sure promote a ton of inconsistency.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:31 am

PMantle wrote:
Stringbean wrote:As in you still wear them untucked? Or you can't stand seeing them untucked?

For those of us built more like a beach ball than an hour glass, keeping a shirt tucked in is a continual hassle. :D Sure we look odd but not matter what we wear or how we wear it a certain degree of oddity is assured. The next time you play a round with a fat guy watch how often he fights to keep his pants pulled up or his shirt tucked in.

I have even tried suspenders and that is a real odd look for the disc golf course. :o :o
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby PMantle » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:47 am

Mark Ellis wrote:
PMantle wrote:

For those of us built more like a beach ball than an hour glass, keeping a shirt tucked in is a continual hassle. :D Sure we look odd but not matter what we wear or how we wear it a certain degree of oddity is assured. The next time you play a round with a fat guy watch how often he fights to keep his pants pulled up or his shirt tucked in.

I have even tried suspenders and that is a real odd look for the disc golf course. :o :o

:D
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:49 pm

I finally got down a running X-Step. Not sure the exact name of it,but I was watching a Tourney with Paul McBeth and some others and I was studying the technique they use when taking a full on run up into an X-Step.

I was Oating the crap out of it at first,but then got it down and I was Hyzerflipping my Beasts out to 410ft+ and getting my PD's to the 410ft mark. It actually also helped my 4-Step X-Step. When I got the feel of the running X-Step I took the last bit of feel I got out of it and transitioned it to my 4-Step X-Step. I was for sure throwing my Rocs and Truths much much better than normal. Almost Aced 2 holes today after that light bulb went off in my head.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JTdisc » Tue May 20, 2014 6:39 pm

This is something they teach you on all of the beginner videos, but it never really clicked with me until now.

Lately, my push putting has gone downhill. I used to be money inside the circle but have been struggling quite a bit, often hitting the top of the basket with putts even from close in.

Focus on a single chain link when you aim

When I don't pick a specific spot on the basket, I visualize it as a whole, and quite often the focal point that sticks into the subconscious is the top of the basket. Sometimes it has a flag on top or a marker or is painted yellow. If you don't have a specific target picked out, the top of the basket is often what your brain defaults too. The second most common default point to subconsciously aim for is the basket itself which ends with your disc bouncing off from being thrown too low.

By focusing on a specific link in one of the chains when you are aiming, you eliminate the subconscious tendency to aim for the top or bottom.

This has helped me dial in my putts a lot better and avoid some of those "too high" or "too low" puts.

It's simple, and I've heard it many times before, but today the "why" of it finally clicked.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion