The Judge

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Judge

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:31 pm

That's the main drawback, IMO...they don't stay in the air as long.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby PMantle » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:47 pm

What is the world is this:

it flipped up and flew straight then had that nice mvp glide out to the left.

:?: :?: :?:
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby BentElbow11 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:22 pm

If talking about one of their mids, okay.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:20 am

BentElbow11 wrote:
JR wrote:Good form and power generation is always relevant and with putters people were actually better than now in the 1980s. But you asked when we talked of the 80s -i did in my post an March 22nd :-D The original Eagle became the Aero and what is now called an Eagle is a different disc.

The first non-Frisbee disc was the Puppy, a smaller diameter "putter" design at 200g. Dave D then took a Puppy and modified it with a wedge ring around the outer edge to create a non putter distance driver called the Eagle. It was then renamed the Aero. It wasn't a putter design.

Now, as to my original point which you disagreed with, the putters(Puppy, a couple AMF designs) that could really be thrown hard for new distance records were heavyweights, upwards of 200g. Prior to that, distance records were being set with Frisbees of various designs.

Your earlier reference to Dave D's distance record with a putter that wasn't 200g is incorrect. It wasn't 200g, but it also was NOT a putter design! It was the original Aero.

Sure it's more difficult to throw a putter 400 ft than todays drivers. But there's a reason driver designs caught on, and with increasingly wider rims. Such as: ease of throwing further, much better distance potential, and varying stabilities for line shaping and performance in the wind.

I seem to remember Dave D saying that the current Aero is the same Aero that was rhe original and that the original Eagle is almost the same as the Aero. Sure back then they were called drivers put the shape had not changed and now they are classified as putters. The classification does not change the fact that the Aero to about 470' is pretty radical and gives an edge on the course with every kind of disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby PMantle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:44 am

JR wrote: Dave D saying that the current Aero is the same Aero that was rhe original and that the original Eagle is almost the same as the Aero. Sure back then they were called drivers put the shape had not changed and now they are classified as putters. The classification does not change the fact that the Aero to about 470' is pretty radical and gives an edge on the course with every kind of disc.

Both can't be true.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby BentElbow11 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:13 pm

It appears JR is getting his "facts" mixed up again. Although I agree with what he's saying in general. It's really just a matter of preference how far you want to throw your putters.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:15 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:It appears JR is getting his "facts" mixed up again. Although I agree with what he's saying in general. It's really just a matter of preference how far you want to throw your putters.

200ft to 280ft suits me pretty good. :D
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby BentElbow11 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:38 pm

UncleBrother2001 wrote:
BentElbow11 wrote:It appears JR is getting his "facts" mixed up again. Although I agree with what he's saying in general. It's really just a matter of preference how far you want to throw your putters.

Have you Seen Mike C videos where he's putting out MVP putters > 400 ft? On courses it might be a different story...
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:42 pm

BentElbow11 wrote:
UncleBrother2001 wrote:

Have you Seen Mike C videos where he's putting out MVP putters > 400 ft? On courses it might be a different story...

Yeah those videos are pretty crazy. That guy has a serious arm.
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby BentElbow11 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:45 pm

UncleBrother2001 wrote:
BentElbow11 wrote:
UncleBrother2001 wrote:

Yeah those videos are pretty crazy. That guy has a serious arm.

His videos are invaluable for disc testing(and buying) purposes...and not just MVP. He really does disc golf a great service with his videos.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:58 pm

PMantle wrote:
JR wrote: Dave D saying that the current Aero is the same Aero that was rhe original and that the original Eagle is almost the same as the Aero. Sure back then they were called drivers put the shape had not changed and now they are classified as putters. The classification does not change the fact that the Aero to about 470' is pretty radical and gives an edge on the course with every kind of disc.

Both can't be true.

I read it a long time ago on the PDGA forum and my memory might be off but you could ask Dave if you are really interested.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BentElbow11 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:13 pm

JR, I'm going to take your advice and throw some max D drives with putters at a field, using a full x-step. The putters that I'll be using are 2 SS Voodoos, 172g.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:49 am

Those are good indicators of oat and unclean releases at full power. Master those and many other putters become way easier to drive with. For me Voodoos cannot be crushed like Buzzes Suspects os mids and putters and of course drivers. The Voodoos are not the most power shy driving putters especially with a lot of spin. I just count myself having moderate to good not great spin. So i am a little longer loose and later accelerating with the Voodoos than beefier putters.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:43 am

Right, Voodoo is middle of the road stability, small bead helps make it a straight flyer. I think they can take more power than a Pure or Magnet, for example.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:46 am

Yes.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment