Rocksmith 2014

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Rocksmith 2014

Postby Beetard » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:34 pm

This is a video game that lets you use a real guitar and kinda sorta teaches you how to play along with songs selected by the game makers.

I was flirting with learning how to play some guitar for a long time and I wanted to share what this game did and didn't do for me.

Did help me...
get more stamina in my hand and fingers (most important thing the game helped me with)
get better at 2 and 3 finger power chords
think about playing without looking at the guitar
move up and down the neck more
want to learn more songs

Did not help me...
learn songs note-for-note*
develop sense of rhythm
play cleanly

*makes you play most songs in funny tunings and doesn't show all notes until difficulty is set to 100% (though you can play at 100% with the speed turned down) and doesn't necessarily teach all parts of a song you may wish to learn

I used the game for about a month, then it started freezing up all the time. (xbox 360 version)

I don't know if anybody has any questions or input about this game?
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09
User avatar
 
Posts: 1220
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:27 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio
Favorite Disc: XL

Re: Rocksmith 2014

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:25 am

I've thought about trying this game out.

I have a Jackson Guitar just setting in the other room and when I seen this I really wanted to try it out.

Part of me wants to try to play the guitar again and another part of me remembers how frustrating it got for me. So I'm about 50/50 on whether or not I want to get it.
Tern|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Comet|Suspect|Judge|Wizard|Magic

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:47 pm
Favorite Disc: Truth

Re: Rocksmith 2014

Postby Beetard » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:21 am

I don't know if maybe we share some of the same frustrations?
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09
User avatar
 
Posts: 1220
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:27 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio
Favorite Disc: XL

Re: Rocksmith 2014

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:07 pm

Beetard wrote:I don't know if maybe we share some of the same frustrations?


I would have to say you are correct in assuming that.

When I first started trying it out I was so stoked. Then as I progressed more into it,I just kept getting more and more frustrated. Wasn't good especially since I thought about it at work too. not good when it gets in the way with work.

That's why I like coming here to post. I can post my disc golf frustrations if i have any. Then after that I'm not frustrated any more :lol:
Tern|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Comet|Suspect|Judge|Wizard|Magic

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:47 pm
Favorite Disc: Truth

Re: Rocksmith 2014

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:17 pm

The tuning thing is weird. Once you get it tuned for Rocksmith it's out of tune. I don't really care becasue I'm just farting around with it for fun, but my daughter is actually trying to learn guitar and hates that.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR
User avatar
 
Posts: 2539
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:41 am
Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Re: Rocksmith 2014

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:04 am

Working Stiff wrote:The tuning thing is weird. Once you get it tuned for Rocksmith it's out of tune. I don't really care becasue I'm just farting around with it for fun, but my daughter is actually trying to learn guitar and hates that.


Dang that is weird man. Why would they want you to play out of tune? That don't make sense.

Best of luck to your daughter man. :thumbup:
Tern|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Comet|Suspect|Judge|Wizard|Magic

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:47 pm
Favorite Disc: Truth

Re: Rocksmith 2014

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:47 pm

UncleBrother2001 wrote:
Working Stiff wrote:The tuning thing is weird. Once you get it tuned for Rocksmith it's out of tune. I don't really care becasue I'm just farting around with it for fun, but my daughter is actually trying to learn guitar and hates that.


Dang that is weird man. Why would they want you to play out of tune? That don't make sense.

Best of luck to your daughter man. :thumbup:
I'm not sure what the deal is, and since I can't tune by ear it's hard for me to know. All I know is that if you tune it on Rocksmith and then put the Snark on it it shows as too sharp. My daughter has all these songs that she is working on for her lessons, and if she goes straight from Rocksmith to playing a song for her lessons without tuning with the Snark first it's too high pitched. We could be doing something wrong, though. I just mess around with the guitar now becasue we have them so why not? I really don't know what I'm doing.

My daughter has been in piano for years. She saved up her own money, went down to the music store and bought a Telecaster last August. Her younger sister has been in violin lessons for three years, she saved up her money and we went 1/2's with her for a drum kit a few months ago. This time last year they were playing Vivaldi on piano and violin. We just got done running through "Blitzkrieg Bop" tonight. A year can make a big difference. I gotta say, this year is more fun. :D
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR
User avatar
 
Posts: 2539
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:41 am
Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Re: Rocksmith 2014

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:04 pm

Working Stiff wrote:
UncleBrother2001 wrote:
Working Stiff wrote:The tuning thing is weird. Once you get it tuned for Rocksmith it's out of tune. I don't really care becasue I'm just farting around with it for fun, but my daughter is actually trying to learn guitar and hates that.


Dang that is weird man. Why would they want you to play out of tune? That don't make sense.

Best of luck to your daughter man. :thumbup:
I'm not sure what the deal is, and since I can't tune by ear it's hard for me to know. All I know is that if you tune it on Rocksmith and then put the Snark on it it shows as too sharp. My daughter has all these songs that she is working on for her lessons, and if she goes straight from Rocksmith to playing a song for her lessons without tuning with the Snark first it's too high pitched. We could be doing something wrong, though. I just mess around with the guitar now becasue we have them so why not? I really don't know what I'm doing.

My daughter has been in piano for years. She saved up her own money, went down to the music store and bought a Telecaster last August. Her younger sister has been in violin lessons for three years, she saved up her money and we went 1/2's with her for a drum kit a few months ago. This time last year they were playing Vivaldi on piano and violin. We just got done running through "Blitzkrieg Bop" tonight. A year can make a big difference. I gotta say, this year is more fun. :D


Sweet man. That's good to hear they both enjoy music like that. :thumbup:

I was really into music for a long time,before I lost my drive for it I guess I should say. I was in Chorus,Played in the High School Band and did the whole Orchestra Concert thing when I was younger. I was in the Percussion and loved every minute of it man. I can still sing pretty darn good too...for an older guy :lol:
Tern|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Comet|Suspect|Judge|Wizard|Magic

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:47 pm
Favorite Disc: Truth

Re: Rocksmith 2014

Postby Beetard » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:32 pm

UncleBrother2001 wrote:
Beetard wrote:I don't know if maybe we share some of the same frustrations?


I would have to say you are correct in assuming that.

When I first started trying it out I was so stoked. Then as I progressed more into it,I just kept getting more and more frustrated. Wasn't good especially since I thought about it at work too. not good when it gets in the way with work.

That's why I like coming here to post. I can post my disc golf frustrations if i have any. Then after that I'm not frustrated any more :lol:


So is what you're saying that you got frustrated that you got too obsessed with playing guitar? You got addicted to it and it interfered with what you were supposed to do at work?

If so, the right thing to do is quit work and become a rock star! :lol:
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09
User avatar
 
Posts: 1220
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:27 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio
Favorite Disc: XL

Re: Rocksmith 2014

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:39 pm

Beetard wrote:
UncleBrother2001 wrote:
Beetard wrote:I don't know if maybe we share some of the same frustrations?


I would have to say you are correct in assuming that.

When I first started trying it out I was so stoked. Then as I progressed more into it,I just kept getting more and more frustrated. Wasn't good especially since I thought about it at work too. not good when it gets in the way with work.

That's why I like coming here to post. I can post my disc golf frustrations if i have any. Then after that I'm not frustrated any more :lol:


So is what you're saying that you got frustrated that you got too obsessed with playing guitar? You got addicted to it and it interfered with what you were supposed to do at work?

If so, the right thing to do is quit work and become a rock star! :lol:


I guess you could say that was the case. :lol:

Man a rock star would be awesome. I could see myself as one. :D
Tern|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Comet|Suspect|Judge|Wizard|Magic

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:47 pm
Favorite Disc: Truth


Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron