Disc Golf Strength, Fitness, and Training routines

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Strength, Fitness, and Training routines

Postby iacas » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:37 am

BLURR wrote:Logged my 1,000th running mile for the year this morning. Hoping to hit 1,200 by the end of the year.

Congrats. I run 10-15 miles a week only so I've just gone past 500. I used to track them on DailyMile but grew tired of having to post it, so now I just run as long and as far as I want, and listen to some tunes or podcasts. Rarely I'll wear my GPS watch.

Never on the treadmill. I want to quit after a quarter mile.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby BLURR » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:50 am

I hear ya on the treadmill. I hate having to run on those damn things, but sometimes do have to settle for that. Been logging 5-10 miles M-F since the beginning of the year. I have to wage war some mornings to get my ass out of bed, but after that first mile is done, I am in cruising mode for the rest of it. I use mapmyrun to get my distances for my various routes and then I just switch it up from day to day. Some routes are flat, some are hilly, and a little bit of everything in between. If you want to feel lighter on your feet when on the tee pad, I highly recommend getting some jogging/running in.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby BLURR » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:47 am

Today marks 2 years of accepting a fitness/weight loss wager with a former coworker of mine. Two years ago I was tipping the scales at 262 and steadily climbing. I am proud to say that this morning I weighted in at 194 and feeling pretty damn good. Disc Golf has become a joy again because I am not carrying the equivalent of a small child around the course anymore.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby JR » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:58 am

Congratulations! I've lost 8 kilos from this time last year and made my post injury longest bike ride yesterday. With snow on the ground :-) I'm looking forward to getting into even better shape and being able to ride on higher gears with less friction on the ground. I'm bound to lose more weight :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:02 am

BLURR wrote:Today marks 2 years of accepting a fitness/weight loss wager with a former coworker of mine. Two years ago I was tipping the scales at 262 and steadily climbing. I am proud to say that this morning I weighted in at 194 and feeling pretty damn good. Disc Golf has become a joy again because I am not carrying the equivalent of a small child around the course anymore.

Congrats! Very impressive.

Unfortunately life seems to be a zero sum game and I know where the weight you lost went to. :)
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby BLURR » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:03 am

This winter I didn't move my running regiment indoors and it wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. But it wasn't without its issues though.

Congrat's on the 8 kilos down.

"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby JR » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:13 am

Mark Ellis wrote:
BLURR wrote:Today marks 2 years of accepting a fitness/weight loss wager with a former coworker of mine. Two years ago I was tipping the scales at 262 and steadily climbing. I am proud to say that this morning I weighted in at 194 and feeling pretty damn good. Disc Golf has become a joy again because I am not carrying the equivalent of a small child around the course anymore.

Congrats! Very impressive.

Unfortunately life seems to be a zero sum game and I know where the weight you lost went to. :)

My recipe was and is to eat less, especially meat but more sallad and drinking protein to not lose muscle mass and controlling hunger with chia seeds at times. Chia probably shouldn't be used all the time because it prevents some parts of food from getting into the blood stream. While it helps in limiting the energy you get from the food it might also create deficiencies if it is overdone. Naturally more training has helped too. I'd try my hand at HIT. High intensity training. For example 20 second spurt at resistance with a gym bike then pausing and repeating three times at full power. Three times a week plus whatever you were doing previously. When you progress 30 seconds for 5 times was the recommendation by Finnish researchers on Finnish TV program Prisma studio a couple of weeks ago. The initial training takes only 12 minutes per month! You can do it can't you. you might not even sweat at all. Perfect for busy professionals. You could exercise during lunch break in your work clothes and save time for fun outside of work instead of working out then.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BLURR » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:00 am

I added in a 30 minute HITT program a few weeks ago, in addition to my morning run and it has helped strengthen my core a ton. I played a round of disc a few weeks back and could feel the difference when throwing 80%-90% power. It seems as though my distance has gone up by about 20-30 feet. With it being early in the season, I can't wait to see how it goes once I am able to throw regularly without snow on the pads.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby what'shisname » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:19 am

So, like, did you win the bet? :P

Congrats!
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby BLURR » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:51 am

The original wager was for 6 months. But it has stuck with me since then. And yes, I won the wager. :D
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby JR » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:17 am

Nobody can do high intensity training active part for 30 minutes at the best possible power generation level. So does that 30 minutes include the rest periods? How long, how many reps and how long a rest period does your HIT routine include? I've noticed less leg fatigue and a a possible minor increase in the ease of breathing and a certain lengthened ability to sustain aerobic exercise. From a few months of different variations of HIT.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BLURR » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:35 pm

That 30 includes the rest periods. It's a 3:1 system. Upper body is usually 7-10 reps. Lower body is usually 15-20.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby JR » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:33 am

I've not done that much upper body HIT yet but have dabbled with it testing what my body can handle. If i've read correctly between the lines masterbeato does some sort of HIT version at least for the upper body.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sat May 10, 2014 9:36 am

I'll have to post my routines for my workouts and eating habits when i have more time.

Last year around November I weighed 138lbs. Now I weight 165lbs. I'm 5' 8"

It's a pretty intense workout I do. I divide the workouts into different muscle groups. One month I'll be lifting just a little bit heavy then the next month I'm lifting a little bit lighter to give my body time to recover from the last month.

this is just a basic rundown of how I divide the workouts. It's a bit different than what you are use to seeing. I do both pulling movements one day then do all pushing movement the day after next.

Monday - Biceps and Back
Tuesday - Upper Legs and Abs
Wednesday - Chest and Triceps
Thursday - Calves and Abs
Friday - Shoulders
Saturday - Abs
Sunday - Off

When I have time I'll post my Workouts I do and explain how to do them.
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Previous

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury