Beginner compiling a bag of discs

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:36 am

There is nothing wrong with collecting plastic, but they are right. Use the sabre/leopard for now. By all means, if the bug bites, buy plastic. Put them in the closet for now. (First time we've seen stuff going INTO the closet, I guess).

Sounds like you are hooked, so you will eventually get to throw the others. Also, don't discount discraft and gateway products. A teebird may work for you, but a cyclone may be better.

I'm not sure about the roc. When I first started playing, I met a pro that gave me a roc and told me to play with it for a year before I threw anything else. Of course, I didn't listen! I went from cyclone-->xs--->my next step was to go to a crush/flash/wildcat, of which I don't own any at the moment.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discmonkey42 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:11 am

TexasOutlaw wrote:There is nothing wrong with collecting plastic, but they are right. Use the sabre/leopard for now. By all means, if the bug bites, buy plastic. Put them in the closet for now. (First time we've seen stuff going INTO the closet, I guess).

Sounds like you are hooked, so you will eventually get to throw the others.

I agree 100%. I would even say allow yourself the treat of playing with some of those disc occasionaly. In the end, though, stick to a few discs when playing and know them well. When you think you know a disc well, play with it for several more months and you'll realize you didn't know it before.

It is really fun, though, to take one of those discs out of the closet you couldn't throw before and making it fly. :D
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Gateway and discraft products

Postby rodman » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:31 am

Good advice. I enjoy trying all the other plastic. I have an element and sabre on the way to me to arrive today. I'm not going to neglect those other discs... so far i've just read more about innova and seen them available at local stores more than the others.

I'll look into the cyclone as well as maybe one of those crush/flash/wildcat. I usually first look at their flight characteristics on a number of charts and then decide which ones I'd need/want to try etc...

On my list to put into my bag now are 2 that I just threw away, a beast and an orc

BUT the biggest development in my game/bag right now is the super performance of my Roadrunner. I love that thing. It gives me just a bit of natural right turn before gliding back to the left slightly before touchdown 330 feet down the fairway. I play a course that has tight fairways so this flight path is optimal.

Thanks again,.
rodman
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:02 am

I can see a roadrunner being good for you.

The flash and wildcat are probably too fast for you right now. You want stable to understable plastic. Take some DX or pro D plastic and play with it until it changes stability. That way you are learning about disc break in as well as developing style.

I learned to throw straight first. I'm not sure if times have changed, but the advanced players back then emphasized the straight shot. When you've beat up a disc so much it's understable, it is time to start learning hyzers.

Actually, annhyzer shots came to me more naturally. Most people that I teach tend to have natural hyzers.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:07 am

Oh one other thing. The reason I started with a cyclone wasn't because it was a good beginner disc. It was the only one I had. That and a used polaris I bought at Play IT Again Sports.

This is probably why I developed a fondess for discraft though I buy just about as many Innova. I really can't see why I take so much harassment from Innova people as I buy just about as much Innova as they do; I just don't carry it. I think I sold last orc a few months ago. I experimented with these for months, but I didn't like them. I liked the z flash better. Sadly, I've purchased more orcs than flashes.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Gateway and discraft products

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:14 pm

rodman wrote:Good advice. I enjoy trying all the other plastic. I have an element and sabre on the way to me to arrive today. I'm not going to neglect those other discs... so far i've just read more about innova and seen them available at local stores more than the others.

I'll look into the cyclone as well as maybe one of those crush/flash/wildcat. I usually first look at their flight characteristics on a number of charts and then decide which ones I'd need/want to try etc...

On my list to put into my bag now are 2 that I just threw away, a beast and an orc

BUT the biggest development in my game/bag right now is the super performance of my Roadrunner. I love that thing. It gives me just a bit of natural right turn before gliding back to the left slightly before touchdown 330 feet down the fairway. I play a course that has tight fairways so this flight path is optimal.

Thanks again,.

Avoid getting the crush/flash/wildcat yet if you just ditched the beast and orc, youll find the crush much like the orc, just a touch more overstable, and the flash either alittle more or less overstable than the beast, depending on which mold beast, and which color flash...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Beast

Postby rodman » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:53 pm

Well, It wasnt an intentional ditching of the Beast and ORC. I can say I am truly sad the Beast is gone and have immediate plans to put one back in my bag. I can turn a new beast dx pretty hard to the left and I'm sure it may even make a good primary driver if I can get enough practice with it and get it broken in enough.

SO... i'll be buying another beast along with a tie dyed road runner (as my #1 driver NEVER to be thrown over any body of water, creek, or moisture).

I should probably take a look at the flash.
rodman
Noob

BTW

Postby rodman » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:53 pm

By the way, you guys have really "gotten in to" helping me outfit my bag. Thanks a million.
rodman
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:11 pm

I would love to say were all trying to help to be helpful and nice, but I dont think thats it. I think were all just addicted to the point any disc golf chat is good chat. :roll:

Glad we could help, I know everyones been helpful to my game quite a bit!
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:10 am

If you like an orc, you may want to try a z crush. Flashes vary so much it is hard to compare, but my original z flash was like a longer beast.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rodman » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:21 pm

I dont love the orc. It has too much left turn in the end. I was using it for hyzer turns. I do however like the beast and look forward to getting one broken in.
rodman
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:16 am

rodman wrote:I dont love the orc. It has too much left turn in the end. I was using it for hyzer turns. I do however like the beast and look forward to getting one broken in.

I still think it's too beefy for you if you're a true beginner. One of the original flashes I had was like a beat on steroids. It's hard for me to recommend the flash because it is hard to find two alike. I don't even carry one anymore. But I have fond memories of my pre-lake flash days and had some of my best/longest throws with one.

My gf is basically a beginner, and she is doing really well with an x slipstream and an x tracker. Even though I'll eventually remove the slipstream for a beat to hell avenger, the slipstream is very easy to throw for my injured arm.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Pagan » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:42 am

I've recently started doing the same. Instead of pulling the crush, Xs, or Talon out at every hole 250+ I pull out the Banger, MRV, or Wasp (if it's closer to 300) and try to work the disc better. It's paying off too. I can park my wasp most times or at elast get it close enough to have a go at a deuce. When we do meander around to a hole over 300 and the crush or spectra comes out It's a better throw.

I know there's a strong urge to pull out the longest fastest disc in your bag o tricks and try to get it out there, but if I can resist the urge to Surge anyone can. It really does help your game, and you get to know the charactistics of the shorter discs better.

Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Grendel » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:20 am

My modest bag:

dx wraith 172
classic roc 172
dx avair 174

My fiances bag:

dx archangel 174
roc (non-classic) 146
discraft elite-s swirl 174

The dx archangel is way too heavy for her, IMO, any suggestions on a good mold/weight for a beginner female to throw? I was thinking some kind of stable driver in the 160 class. She's a petite girl, but suprisingly strong for her size. She finally flattened out her run up with an x-step (before she had been hop-skipping into her throw, which was sending it nose up every time). She does great with that putter, and has a decent short game. It's the long game she needs the most work on. She throws left handed backhand and still has a problem with sending it too high and having it fade to the right and back towards her.

As for my bag, I use the wraith when I need the d (at best I can get 250-300' out of it) and have been doing better at disc selection, using the roc off the tee when the wraith would be overkill and cause me to overshoot (took a couple times to learn that lesson). Should I stick with what I have and continue to develope my game, or are there any suggestions on expanding my disc selection?
Grendel
Noob

Postby adidadg » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:15 am

Grendel wrote:My modest bag:

dx wraith 172
classic roc 172
dx avair 174

My fiances bag:

dx archangel 174
roc (non-classic) 146
discraft elite-s swirl 174

The dx archangel is way too heavy for her, IMO, any suggestions on a good mold/weight for a beginner female to throw? I was thinking some kind of stable driver in the 160 class. She's a petite girl, but suprisingly strong for her size. She finally flattened out her run up with an x-step (before she had been hop-skipping into her throw, which was sending it nose up every time). She does great with that putter, and has a decent short game. It's the long game she needs the most work on. She throws left handed backhand and still has a problem with sending it too high and having it fade to the right and back towards her.

As for my bag, I use the wraith when I need the d (at best I can get 250-300' out of it) and have been doing better at disc selection, using the roc off the tee when the wraith would be overkill and cause me to overshoot (took a couple times to learn that lesson). Should I stick with what I have and continue to develope my game, or are there any suggestions on expanding my disc selection?

For your Fiance maybe try out a leopard, TL, XL, or JLS in the weight range that you mentioned. These are not overstable discs by any means but can hold a very straight line. The Archangel (especially when new) fades suprisingly hard at the end of its flight and i wouldnt recommend it for a beginner. My wife throws a worked in Z-XL very well, and she also does well with her 168 sidewinder (for extra distance), but had awful luck with a 168 archangel.

For yourself, to develop your game I would probably suggest setting the wraith aside for now and try out something a little slower. TeeBird, JLS, XL, Cyclone, Gazelle in about the 168-172g range would all be good choices, and at this point you will probably find they will fly nearly, if not just as far as the wraith. They are straighter more predictable discs and will help you develop good technique.

Those are great choices of Midranges and putters you have.

1 driver , 1 mid and 1 putter is a great way to start out so keep at it, dont just add disc after disc to your bag in hopes of finding that magic disc that fixes everything. Developing good technique is key, once you do that you will start to see the need for a few more molds.
adidadg

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion