19%
10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock
7%
all the pink ones I can find :)
12%

Total votes : 69

Re: Comet lovers

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sat May 10, 2014 1:49 pm

centipod wrote:Got my first Comet ace today! Green and sparkly 180g Elite X, 210 ft, under the hanging branches and smack bang in the middle of the chains! Oh its a beautiful thing! My buzzzes in the bag are getting fewer and fewer and the ones that are left are hardly used anymore. One newish overstable Z and one überflippy D.

Congrats man.

A Comet is a wonderful Midrange once gotten use to. Plus it's one of the best Midranges ever made. :D
Destroyer|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Roc|Suspect|Judge

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby JTdisc » Sun May 11, 2014 3:03 pm

I still haven't thrown a Comet yet. I've got sooo many mids I'm reluctant to try another one. Between my M1, Verdict, Truth, Fugitive, Core, Fuse, Meteor there's just no room for more.
JTdisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Escape

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Sun May 11, 2014 6:45 pm

JTdisc wrote:I still haven't thrown a Comet yet. I've got sooo many mids I'm reluctant to try another one. Between my M1, Verdict, Truth, Fugitive, Core, Fuse, Meteor there's just no room for more.

After seeing all those it is for sure understandable. :D

But...If you ever get a chance you should try one. They need height like a Putter to get the most out of one. So remember that if you ever decide to try one.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon May 12, 2014 12:19 am

The Fuse is so close that there might not be a reason to try the Comet unless you really love the Fuse and are curious if the closest competition is even better. I prefer the Comet but ymmv.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Mon May 12, 2014 8:36 am

I dunno, I always thought the Comet had both more HSS and less LSS than most Fuses (in Z at least), but that the Fuse had a lot more OAT resistance. I don't have that expensive experience with Fuses though, but I have thrown them around on several occasions and do like the disc.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Stringbean » Mon May 12, 2014 9:50 pm

Anybody use Comets as a forehand disc? I am terrible with my forehand, but for whatever reason the Comet is the easiest mid for me to flick. Strange.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Tue May 13, 2014 12:24 am

jubuttib wrote:I dunno, I always thought the Comet had both more HSS and less LSS than most Fuses (in Z at least), but that the Fuse had a lot more OAT resistance. I don't have that expensive experience with Fuses though, but I have thrown them around on several occasions and do like the disc.

To me the Fuses i have are not more OAT resistant but are easier to release cleanly.

String i can only throw shorter approaches with the Comet and not necessarily well. So i use other discs fh.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby centipod » Tue May 13, 2014 4:38 am

Stringbean wrote:Anybody use Comets as a forehand disc? I am terrible with my forehand, but for whatever reason the Comet is the easiest mid for me to flick. Strange.

Yeah, I use it for forehand. I only use forehand for approaches though and I dont have that much power. But I like that it hardly fades and that it glides nicely at slow speeds. I started using the Comet for FH anhyzer approaches but now also straight approaches when FH is my best option.
centipod
Noob

Favorite Disc: Rattler and Comet

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Stringbean wrote:Anybody use Comets as a forehand disc? I am terrible with my forehand, but for whatever reason the Comet is the easiest mid for me to flick. Strange.

I used one for a little bit to help fix the OAT in my forehand. If I threw a Comet bad Forehand it turned into a roller :lol: . It for sure helped me fix my forehand.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 13, 2014 6:18 pm

Every disc can be a forehand disc. The Comet does feel quite nice when flicking for me, for whatever reason.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Wed May 14, 2014 7:49 pm

I learned a thing to make my fhs better so you guys inspired me to add the Comet to my fh disc test to be performed when i can. I just tilt the wrist farther bag and actively flick the wrist plus i tweaked the fingers to bow a little instead of being straight. Sure the curve the disc makes is shorter by a fraction but the finger spring is stronger and the discs flutter less often and less when they do. So the disc is more stable angles wise in the grip and possibly leaving with more spin too. I cannot say for sure because both can explain the lessened flutter. Gained a little average D.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Wed May 14, 2014 9:11 pm

Forehanding a Comet can be tough,but it can be done. It has the same benefits forehand as it does Backhand. It shows you if you have OAT in your throw. I'd probably still be throwing crappy forehands if it weren't for the Comet.

UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Postby Stringbean » Thu May 15, 2014 5:07 am

JR wrote:I learned a thing to make my fhs better so you guys inspired me to add the Comet to my fh disc test to be performed when i can. I just tilt the wrist farther bag and actively flick the wrist plus i tweaked the fingers to bow a little instead of being straight. Sure the curve the disc makes is shorter by a fraction but the finger spring is stronger and the discs flutter less often and less when they do. So the disc is more stable angles wise in the grip and possibly leaving with more spin too. I cannot say for sure because both can explain the lessened flutter. Gained a little average D.

The same works for me regarding the bowed fingers. I think it creates a stronger pivot point and thus more spin.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu May 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Stringbean wrote:
JR wrote:I learned a thing to make my fhs better so you guys inspired me to add the Comet to my fh disc test to be performed when i can. I just tilt the wrist farther bag and actively flick the wrist plus i tweaked the fingers to bow a little instead of being straight. Sure the curve the disc makes is shorter by a fraction but the finger spring is stronger and the discs flutter less often and less when they do. So the disc is more stable angles wise in the grip and possibly leaving with more spin too. I cannot say for sure because both can explain the lessened flutter. Gained a little average D.

The same works for me regarding the bowed fingers. I think it creates a stronger pivot point and thus more spin.

Not sure about that because the lever is longer with straight fingers than bowed but i seem to be gain more than i lose with a much stronger finger spring. The grip is stronger so maintaining angles like intended helps too.

I tossed a worn x yesterday and was not able to reach back far and pound hard like with beefy warp speeders like the Boss. The disc turned just like it would bh with a pulled power control form. So it behaved identically in mild to moderate rear winds. I need to start slow just like bh and snap hard and then it works. Oh with sliw steps without turning the side fully at the target at the reach back. Pretty well mirrored to bh. Still the glide pushed it to 230' at best. Because my bh is cleaner i can power it more and in calm conditions have gotten a aecond run esp to 330'. Normally 300' though because of safety margin. So i can Roc and Buzz as far which is why the Comet sees more action at field practice. I do not remember when i threw my Comet on a course. Winds do not help.

I dug up esp and z Comets for the next session. They are more hss than the broken in x so i might dare to power it farther. I am too inexperienced for fast run ups and long reach backs even with beefy warp speeders. The consistency and accuracy is not. QOLS on a perfect s curve to 320' a few inches longer than Dominator for my fh record. The great thing is that my arm does nor hurt fh any more. My pec does from the most intensive field work ever. I am comparing about 90 different discs. Half way through. Rr Qols Boss D2 Gator Pig Rhyno are the best ones so far. The surprise was a slightly broken in 150 Dtar TB that is flatter and less lss and power hungry and longer than DX TBs.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Stringbean » Fri May 16, 2014 9:30 am

For me, the straight fingers create more leverage but it also causes OAT. Not flutter but actual OAT where the center of spin isn't the center of the disc. Having a pinch point between my fingers and thumb seems to eliminate that OAT.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment