The "Incomplete" Secret Technique

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The "Incomplete" Secret Technique

Postby pask2155 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:46 pm

how long do you do this until it takes effect?

Essentially I did all the drills today, watched all the videos, read a ton, and did more drills... Then today went out into the field and I lost major distance... I went from throwing 330' easy to 250-270' and all my throws seems to rocket way up in the sky or stay about 5 feet off the ground and then worm burn.... Obviously my control and my consistency is way off...

So back to the question... this is obviously very frustrating... So how fast is this supposed to take effect?

Also how am I supposed to throw at the beginning... After I do the drills then I actually of to the field to I cross step, reach back, the whole nine yards of throwing? Or do you stand still with doing nothing but the reach back and hammer? Or just hammer? Anyhow... please let me know... you guys have been very helpful, hopefully soon I can get 400+ soon...
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby Star Shark » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:44 am

Incorporating any new technique into your game is gonna totally bork up your consistency and/or accuracy. The key is to stick with it until you've fully processed the feel for it.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Blake_T » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:45 pm

the goal of these drills isn't to just throw far, but to feel the disc differently/better when you throw so that you can snap it better.

if you aren't able to have any success at it then you are doing it wrong. it's up to you if you want to keep futzing with it until you get it right or just give up on it.

if you are worm burning and skying, i'm almost certain your shoulder rotation timing and manipulation of the disc's center of gravity are way off.

when this style works for people they tend to "feel something different that feels better" pretty quickly (e.g. the first 10 throws) even if they aren't able to master it right away.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby pask2155 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:30 pm

I guess my question is how do you know when you have the right amount of snap? Because I think I have the idea down but at the same time I'm not throwing any further then before. And the reason this technique becomes such a big thing is because they say without enough snap you will never throw 400'.

So how do you know if you have enough?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby JR » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:22 pm

See the diagram for slip vs half hit vs full hit in the other thread. Once you're getting the rip at full hit territory and the disc leaves the fingers pivoted to at least 3.30 o'clock preferably more and get over 350' with long mids and over 400' with TBs you know you've made strides and should get a lot more distance from warp speeders. I'm a half hitter and before the snap (mostly elbow chop and squeeze strength advances) improvements this year i made a test last fall. I tried to lock my wrist in place and got 350' max and warp speeders and TBs were almost as long. TB max to 340' IIRC. Loosening the arm and allowing the wrist to move popped the discs to past 400' at best.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Blake_T » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:32 pm

Half hit discs with reference points (distances are approximate)
Roc: ~330
Buzzz: ~350
Teebird: ~410
Destroyer: ~430
Nuke: ~450

Full hit distances (approximate)
Roc: ~360+
Buzzz: ~380+
Teebird: ~440+
destroyer: ~460+
nuke: ~480+

the goal of the drill is not to achieve the same thing. The goal is to feel something different that you dont feel in your normal throw.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby tuckerjt07 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:22 pm

I know this thread is old but I need some help in a bad way. I, think, I'm doing these drills correctly. I feel my wrist fly open and rebound, but I cannot for the life of me do the towel drill correctly. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how does one fix it?
tuckerjt07
Noob

Favorite Disc: GStar Tern

Postby seabas22 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:15 am

Towel drill is just to get the idea of late acceleration, that's all. If you try to perfect the towel drill, you will likely screw up good throwing mechanics and could even injure yourself. Drills are exaggerations that you must learn to apply.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby tuckerjt07 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:07 pm

By that I mean I get a great Whoosh but no crack of it popping.
tuckerjt07
Noob

Favorite Disc: GStar Tern

Postby seabas22 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:14 pm

I wouldn't put much stock in the towel drill, although it's a good way to warm up. You are better off throwing hammers.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby rhatton2 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:03 am

Years after doing the sidearm drill and getting the repeatable 250' up to 300' on a good throw from it (thanks Blake for this drill it is excellent) I finally decided to practice a sidearm a bit over the last week - i had never practised it outside of rounds previously as once the drill clicked it was just so easy to flick straight drives out there.

It was time though to try to get a bit more out of it, an extra 30' could just bring a load more birdies my way.

Field practise was good but not really adding much in terms of distance just aiding the consistency.

I have just been out for a round at lunchtime throwing a few shots on holes and had a revelation with it. I was watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Bc6Qp ... ture=share the other day of my friend Tapani who has a beautifully easy flicked forehand and he seemed to be cocking his wrist beyond neutral (the position from where I have done the bounce previously) to actively open so the disc appears to be dragging behind him up until the ferocious disc pivot at the end through a full 180 . I thought I would give it a go and it gave me an immediate 20 meter jump and put me into putting range on a hole I could only ever previously reach with an anny backhand (360' uphill tight OB right and left near the basket.

I had worried this extra opening was going to make me start rolling the wrist or possibly even slow down the pivot but it was so good I am an hour late back from lunch 'cause I just couldn't stop throwing!

Now i just need to find a similar click on the old backhand, i did have some griplocked throws that turned into longer hyzerbombs than my flat throws today which was promising and felt strong so it looks like i am slipping and on my best shots maybe half slipping - I managed to find the same feeling of the griplocked throws on one flat throw and it absolutely crushed until it hit some trees beyond the basket - not sure how far it would have gone otherwise but was still travelling straight and the trees are 330' from the tee - unfortunately by then I really did have to go back to work - can't wait to get out and try it again though!!
rhatton2
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Roc

Postby JR » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:02 pm

Tapani is a very strong man. lcgm8 said he has a background in decathlon.

I busted up my arm with fh field practice and a doctor said to me that after having a surgery my arm wil not handle the stress of hard fhs grr. I applied the hammer drill to pre throw routine in field practice only on the plane i was planning to throw on and started the throw by doing a moderate flick forward of the disc taking the steps and bringing the wrist back as far or almost in the reach back the again whipping the wrist forward for even more power than what is available with your form. Sure there are more moving parts and timing issues but staying relaxed it came to me naturally. YMMV. There is more tendon stretch for more plyometric loading pre snap and unloading during the snap. Unfortunately i need to switch arms if i plan to throw hard fh so nope that door is closed to me for life. Because i'd rather keep on outdistancing lhfh with rhbh.

Seeing the benefits fh i tried the same bh. I lack muscles and tendon strength to get as much benefit but it is still there. Too bad it went away so there is reason for me to practice that so that it becomes automated. good times ahead once my arm heals.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby rhatton2 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:59 pm

Yup, he used to throw a lot of javelin, I am very jealous of his tomahawk :0)

I have been fortunate never really to have much pain from sidearm so hopefully this will continue, today felt exactly the same as before just the disc was rocketing of the fingers a lot quicker. I'm very excited to get out and try this more.

I've got a baby on the way in September though so don't know why I am bothering as that will probably keep me out of the game for another 18 months :(
rhatton2
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Roc

Postby JR » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:11 am

Congratulations anyway :-)
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Technique