Taking care of your discs

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Taking care of your discs

Postby rodman » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:05 pm

Other than the obvious things such as dont leave them in the trunk of your car in southern alabama in august....

What do you do to care for your discs? Do you clean them? Do they get to sleep in bed with you? If so... Do they have their own pillow? Just kidding.
rodman
Noob

Re: Taking care of your discs

Postby Tim H » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:50 pm

rodman wrote:Other than the obvious things such as dont leave them in the trunk of your car in southern alabama in august....

What do you do to care for your discs? Do you clean them? Do they get to sleep in bed with you? If so... Do they have their own pillow? Just kidding.

I do wash them if I know they are going to be sitting for a while. I make sure I stack them directly on top of each other so that there is no warping. I don't own a bag, but I wouldn't leave them in the bag for long periods of time. My discs have there own bed/table at the end of my bed. I don't let them sleep with me under any conditions :D
Tim H
Noob

Postby Solty » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:39 pm

i wash my discs about once a month...based on normal 1-2 times a week play. Cleans off all the nasty grit and oils and seems to keep the plastic softer longer. Other than that, they sit on my workbench in the garage, away from direct light.

m
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby bigs348 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:14 pm

My discs sit in my bag, stacked vertically. They all stay pretty much straight up and down because of the Revolution frame. So far it works.

I don't ever leave my discs in my truck -- in the winter they get too cold, in the summer too warm.

I wash them before every tournament. During non-tournament season usually every 2-3 weeks depending on the mud on the course, if it rains, etc.

When I get a new disc it'll usually sit on the table next to my bed for the first few nights until I use it on the course and then it joins the bag. Is that weird? I also tend to grab a disc at random and have it with me when I'm watching tv or whatever. I'll spin it on my finger and pratice grips and whatnot. Something to do to keep me busy when I'm not out on the course...
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:15 pm

too add to whats been mentioned

Discs youre storing should sit flat (stacked is ok) or vertically such as in a bag, to avoid warping (epsecially when you cant avoid, such as if you have to keep them in your trunk for extended periods, and I know a couple guys wives demand the discs stay in the cer :evil: )

Especially with baseline plastic, sand knicks regulary some 100 grit for getting big knicks down, and some 220 or so for finish sanding works great for me. This will help these plastics last much longer.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:08 am

I used to just wipe them off, but started washing them. Some of the stamps faded off though, especially the metallic stamps on my avenger. I'm probably going to go back to just wiping them off.

I do sand my d and x plastic; I'm still learning about sanding. My discs stay in my car. As it gets hotter, I will probably start taking them into the house. The main reason I started leaving them in the car is that I found a mouse in my revolution bag.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discmonkey42 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:12 am

I hear a mouse is good for short, sneaky approach shots. :P
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:29 am

discmonkey42 wrote:I hear a mouse is good for short, sneaky approach shots. :P

Also good for chewing your Revolution bag that you spent 6 months saving for ... :cry:
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:59 am

I wash my discs, prior to tournaments. I keep them inside whenever I'm not playing, and I try to cover them with blankets and keep them in their bags or in a tub that keeps them straight, when they are in my car.
If for some reason I don't have a tub or bag, I lay them flat in the trunk and make sure they aren't stacked on top of each other.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Pagan » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:48 am

Wonder what the flight stats on a mouse are? Maybee it depends on the mouse... Maybee Field mice are overstable with more fade then a house mouse. Does it handle well in a headwind?
Can we expect an ESP/Star version soon?
LOL
Pagan
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:36 am

a star mouse would be perfect, I have problem gripping my mouse so champ wouldnt cut it, and after throwing my mouse against a brick wall once or twice, I was just too disgusted to even handle it anymore, I left it there for some newbie to try.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:38 pm

Pagan wrote:

Wonder what the flight stats on a mouse are? Maybee it depends on the mouse... Maybee Field mice are overstable with more fade then a house mouse. Does it handle well in a headwind?
Can we expect an ESP/Star version soon?
LOL
Pagan

The Star mouse is more overstable, but the x mouse beats up really quick. A broken in star field mouse = new esp house mouse.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby distantdg » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:49 pm

can you get a good skip with them?
distantdg
Noob

Postby discmonkey42 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:28 pm

Funny, funny stuff. :lol: :lol: :lol:
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Pagan » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:51 pm

distantdg wrote:can you get a good skip with them?

Yeah but ya gotta make em land legs up.
;-)
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to General Discussion