Beginner compiling a bag of discs

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:33 am

I agree agains the archangel for beginners, It is too fast, and at the same time too understable. After a beginner throws a dx archangel for more than a month, it will be too touchy... and I like touchy discs... :wink:
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Grendel » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:17 pm

Innova states that the wraith flies well below full speed as well as at full, and I've been reasonably happy with it, but would love to try something different just to have something to compare it to. I feel I'm doing well for a beginner with my limited experience and developing my form. I've been talking with some of the more experienced local players in my area and am going to start playing with them and (hopefully) get some good advice.

As for a choice of driver, if the wraith is at the extreme end of the spectrum then I definitely don't want to go to the extreme opposite end. I'm thinking something more middle of the road. What do you guys think? What are the best choices.
Grendel
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:35 pm

The wraith is an awesome disc, but it is not a beginner disc. The leopard, xs suggestion was good.

My progression (granted I rushed it) was cyclone/used polaris -->xl-->xs.

I stuck with the xs as my main driver for several years until I started buying more.

Now, I throw avengers and trackers (and cyclones).
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Beginning driver

Postby rodman » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:48 pm

I have overrotated on purchasing discs and trying new models. I can safely say that my favorite is the Roadrunner as you'll see if you read earlier in this thread. I dont really have any discs with more than 4 rounds experience so they may not be performing at "broken in" level but that roadrunner is fantastic. I'm giving the Archangel another go at the 168-169 grams level. Also both the Tee Bird and the Tee Bird L have been great drivers for me and 2 other friends that are also beginners.

I also believe my game has progressed quickly for a beginner and I've enjoyed throwing several different drivers.

IF you have some money to spend and enjoy trying different drivers try that roadrunner and grab a sabre. Also the Beast seems to be a good one to have as you advance.

Take this for what it is... advice by a beginner to a beginner.
Last edited by rodman on Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rodman
Noob

Postby adidadg » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:52 pm

I wouldnt say that the Teebird, JLS, Cyclone, XL, Gazelle suggestion I made are at the opposite end of the spectrum, they are all good, stable very accurate drivers. Also both the Teebird and XL are former world distance record holders, so they are seriously long discs when thrown right.

The thing with using a wraith as a main driver is that you have to adjust your throw to compensate for the large amount of fade. Also faster discs are more sensitive to the angle you release them at which makes them much more unforgiving. I do throw and like Orcs, but only 2-3 times a round when I need that extra distance or if the hole favours a hard left fade. The rest of the time I typically throw a QJLS or a Buzzz.
adidadg

Postby Grendel » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:54 pm

adidadg wrote:I wouldnt say that the Teebird, JLS, Cyclone, XL, Gazelle suggestion I made are at the opposite end of the spectrum, they are all good, stable very accurate drivers. Also both the Teebird and XL are former world distance record holders, so they are seriously long discs when thrown right.

The thing with using a wraith as a main driver is that you have to adjust your throw to compensate for the large amount of fade. Also faster discs are more sensitive to the angle you release them at which makes them much more unforgiving. I do throw and like Orcs, but only 2-3 times a round when I need that extra distance or if the hole favours a hard left fade. The rest of the time I typically throw a QJLS or a Buzzz.

Ok so I'm leaning towards trying a Teebird from all the responses so far. Do you guys think that will give me a well rounded enough disc selection for now?
Grendel
Noob

Postby didihitatree » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:36 pm

The Teebird-L is the more beginner-friendly of the two models. It was my farthest flying disc for quite a while. And it's very straight which means you can concentrate on your throwing form without worrying as much about disc angle and compensating for fade.

My friend saw me throw my Teebird-L and bought a Teebird by mistake. He had problems with it fading left so I just gave him my old Teebird-L, although now I think he has enough power that he can throw either one.

I had a classic Roc for awhile (I still keep it in my bag) but as I got better I started turning the Classic Roc over. It's good for beginners, good for touch shots, but not quite as good for real midrange shots. I switched over to an MRV, which I like much better and use as a driver on a lot of short, woodsy holes. The Roc (not classic) is pretty much the equivalent of the MRV. Another good midrange is the Buzzz, but I don't like it as much. It feels too big and slow. I've seen people throw it with a lot of success so it's just a personal thing with me.

I think if you got a Teebird-L and a Roc you'd have a nice setup. Wraith for max distance on an open field, TL for most of your drives, Roc for midrange, and classic roc/aviar for the short stuff. I think you'll find you end up throwing the Teebird-L and Roc for the majority of your shots and they are great "neutral" discs to learn on.
didihitatree
Noob

I'd agree

Postby rodman » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:12 pm

I think the post above is fairly accurate except the wraith seems a bit advanced for me.

One very important one that I'd add to the total setup is a leopard. It is a great long range disc. I drive with it and on long approaches it is as accurate for me as my Roc.
rodman
Noob

Postby discmonkey42 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:19 pm

Tbird L is a great disc. Had a pro for a while that flew straight forever. Your fiance would probably enjoy a 150 class Leopard.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

beginner discs

Postby twmccoy » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:26 pm

When I first started, I carried a DX eagle, cheetah, shark and spider. I quickly ditched the eagle, cheetah and shark in favor of the orc, buzz and flash. Lets just say that my first throw with the orc was an eye opener after being disappointed in the distance of the eagle.

Here are a few current long drivers I'd recommend to beginners

Sidewinder: Long, tons of glide and little fade.
Roadrunner: same
Beast 2X: Very fast yet somewhat understable
Spectra: Super long and easy to throw. This disc is the easiest yardage money can buy.
Dragon: This disc has a ton of naysayers, but IMO it will outfly an archangel any day. Some are more overstable than others.

Any one of these drivers will provide weaker arms with the maximum possible yardage.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby didihitatree » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:40 am

This brings up a somewhat OT question: How do you throw wide-rim drivers?

Because I don't get the Spectra. Yes, it ends up straight of where I threw it instead of fading way off left, but it needs lots of room. It flies out right then fades back and there doesn't seem to be much ability to change the flight pattern. I find it much easier to throw a Tracker farther and on a rope even though it supposedly has more fade. I can even throw right turns with the Tracker.

I seem to have a lot of problem with the wider rim drivers. I know a lot of them require a bigger arm than I have, but that's not supposed to be the case with the Spectra. I don't know if it's because I have small hands or what.
didihitatree
Noob

Re: beginner discs

Postby adidadg » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:02 am

twmccoy wrote:When I first started, I carried a DX eagle, cheetah, shark and spider. I quickly ditched the eagle, cheetah and shark in favor of the orc, buzz and flash. Lets just say that my first throw with the orc was an eye opener after being disappointed in the distance of the eagle.

Here are a few current long drivers I'd recommend to beginners

Sidewinder: Long, tons of glide and little fade.
Roadrunner: same
Beast 2X: Very fast yet somewhat understable
Spectra: Super long and easy to throw. This disc is the easiest yardage money can buy.
Dragon: This disc has a ton of naysayers, but IMO it will outfly an archangel any day. Some are more overstable than others.

Any one of these drivers will provide weaker arms with the maximum possible yardage.

an Orion LS fits right in with these as well
adidadg

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:49 am

1. Tracker is a great disc to use as your main driver. Who cares how wide the rim is.
2. I couldn't get the "miracle distance" out of the Spectra that everyone told me I would either.
3. Best, easiest to throw, wide winged drivers (IMHO) are the Sidewinder and Roadrunner. A 168g Champ Sidewinder would be ideal, I think, for you.
4. I found that until I had the snap to throw a hyzer flip, anything with a wide rim was useless to me.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

drivers

Postby twmccoy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:01 am

Yeah, the spectra is definitely not a miracle disc, but for calm or downwind conditions, it will hang with anything out there. The spectra would go way farther if it had less low speed fade. Mine just stops and dies instead of gliding to a stop like a sidewinder. I personally think the 2X beast is the easiest wide rim driver to throw (never thrown an orion).
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby adidadg » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:07 am

I'd say the orion is a cross between a starfire and a valkyrie
adidadg

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion