I just have that yearning to buy something, suggestions?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

I just have that yearning to buy something, suggestions?

Postby Hadoken » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:01 am

Every now and then I just can't control myself, I need to go out and get something new and different. Is something wrong with me?

I just play for fun, usually once per week, but sometimes I can't make it out even that often, so I don't have a huge collection of discs. I throw generally in the 200-325 range, I'm very spotty if you can't tell from my range.

I currently have a Avair DX 175g, Magnet Elite-Z 175g, Champion Sidewinder 173g, Leopard DX 171g, and a Lightning Driver #4 I found at the bottom of the river while I was um....uhh....okay I threw 1 in the river and came out with 2, I said I was spotty didn't I?

It seems like a could use a neutral mid range disc, but the Leopard doesn't seem to bad for midrange. What would you suggest I pick up to have a more complete set?
I should probably add I'm LHBH and I don't do anything "fancy" :wink:
Last edited by Hadoken on Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hadoken
Noob

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:06 am

S Element X 180g if you want a little overstable, S Element 180g if you want dead nuts straight. I carry both and prefer over any other mids. My alternate choice would be X MRV's if you want something smaller diameter but still very controllable. There's my .02 :)
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

new disc

Postby twmccoy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:03 am

Sounds like you need a buzz. Very straight and very controllable.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby adidadg » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:05 am

If you just want one Midrange a z-buzzz is a good choice, it holds any line you put it on and is useful for a huge variety of shots. Not too good in a strong headwind though, but hands down my favorite midrange.
adidadg

E Element

Postby Woodchuck » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:55 am

I was a big Buzzz fan, played golf with it all winter, last week Dave from Gateway sent a free E Element to me with a small order i made from him. 1 round was all it took for the E Element to go in the bag and the Buzzz to go bye bye. The E Element will hold any line for me whatsoever. The only bad thing is i'm not getting any putting practice with it lately because after i throw my Element i'm only 5-10 feet from the basket. When i was using the Buzzz i had a lot of 30 foot putts.
Woodchuck
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:02 pm

I am another buzzz to element convert. I dont mind carrying alot of discs, so I have 2 elements and an element x (waiting for a couple more still...) I would say however if youre only carrying one mid, a heavy x buzzz was great for me, or a mid weight 168-172 z buzzz....

If you really want to spend some money buy a basket! :twisted:
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:17 pm

You're not too different than myself. I love the sport, have been playing since about '97, but I don't have the time to play more than once a week (except during vacations) sometimes less just like you.

I also believe that you can play disc for fun without turning it into a pissing contest.

Let me tell you what works for me. Everyone that posted about the buzz...they are right. Easy to throw and accurate unless it's windy. If you're arm is weaker (like mine) a z glide may be a good addition though I plan to beat up a d buzz for this. One good thing about a buzz is it will tell you if you have any off axis torque going on (except for me because I don't throw it for max distance). The z glide will turn right regardless unless you try to hyzer flip it.

The other disc that has worked well for me is the x tracker. I'm not sure if you're ready for an avenger and a wraith yet.

One other noteworthy addition would be a d cyclone. I started with it and remove it from the bag when I think I have something better (like the tracker) but always end up putting it back in. At this point, I can't decide between them so I carry them both.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Hadoken » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:38 pm

Anyone have any experience throwing a Comet?

I see Blake recommends it as a neutral midrange in his disc selection guide.
The course I play at is always windy in the open, but once you get past the first 5 holes and into the woods, the trees block the wind a bit and then the only worry is the river and trees.

I've always heard alot of people recommending Gateway discs and I'd like to try one out, this may be the right time to try a Element.
With all of the trees around here I would prefer something a bit more durable than standard grade, is Gateways E plastic equivelant to Z or champion plastic?
Hadoken
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:18 pm

comets are touchy, and teach good form

very accuarate, if you can try on in z plastic. people realy like the stability in that plastic.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:25 pm

Hadoken wrote:Anyone have any experience throwing a Comet?

I've always heard alot of people recommending Gateway discs and I'd like to try one out, this may be the right time to try a Element.
With all of the trees around here I would prefer something a bit more durable than standard grade, is Gateways E plastic equivelant to Z or champion plastic?

The best disc that Gateway makes is the wizard. I also carry a demon, which I do not believe is that popular. If you want something for the wind, something like a predator or a firebird work well in the wind. I find the wizard to be the best putter I have tried for the wind, with the pro D challenger a slight second.
I use the demon for my mid into 35-40 mph wind. When wind is not that bad, something like a gator, z wasp, or even mrv would work well.

I didn't like the comment, but I didn't try it in z.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby adidadg » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:29 pm

Hadoken wrote:Anyone have any experience throwing a Comet?

I see Blake recommends it as a neutral midrange in his disc selection guide.
The course I play at is always windy in the open, but once you get past the first 5 holes and into the woods, the trees block the wind a bit and then the only worry is the river and trees.

If you like the stabliity of your leopard and sidewinder, a comet would fit in very well with your arsenal. It to can hold a line well but requires less power to do so.
adidadg

Postby Jwt4412 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:54 pm

I've found myself using the Element X in S the most out of my bag now.

I love the Demon for the Lefts going into the woods... A feature on a couple of baskets on my home course.

Wizards, Element, Element X and Sabres - then I am into the RoadRunner and Tracker.

I have a single tee on the course that I play regularly that is perfect for the Star Stingray I carry.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby Hadoken » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:40 pm

Think I'll start looking around for a Element in some form.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the S line Element X will be more overstable than the S line plain Element, which means for my lower speed approaches the disc would be more likely to fade off to the right (for LHBH)?
I know a straight drop has more to do with the thrower than the disc, but if the stars aligned and I threw a good shot, the regular Element would be more likely to drop without the fade?
And the E line will also be more overstable?

The plan is this, retire my leopard (I really don't like the way it throws anymore..)
use the Sidewinder off the tee, then have the Element to get close enough for a putt. Which Element would you all recommend?
I should add, "getting close enough for a putt" usually entails slamming off atleast 1 tree on this heavily wooded course.
Hadoken
Noob

Postby Jwt4412 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:03 pm

I am rhbh with a little less than average power for the group
I play with- I prefer the Element X in the S Series over the Element S.

It isn't the disc it is me of course, but the Element S sometimes takes off to the right on me and has alot of glide - and doesn't comeback. The Elemnet X S Series has that little bit of comeback that saves me alot.

I like the S Series discs better than the E... Firmer dome maybe? That might be the reason. I just throw them better and they are cheaper. Cheaper is good.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:26 pm

Hadoken wrote:Think I'll start looking around for a Element in some form.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the S line Element X will be more overstable than the S line plain Element, which means for my lower speed approaches the disc would be more likely to fade off to the right (for LHBH)?
I know a straight drop has more to do with the thrower than the disc, but if the stars aligned and I threw a good shot, the regular Element would be more likely to drop without the fade?
And the E line will also be more overstable?

The plan is this, retire my leopard (I really don't like the way it throws anymore..)
use the Sidewinder off the tee, then have the Element to get close enough for a putt. Which Element would you all recommend?
I should add, "getting close enough for a putt" usually entails slamming off atleast 1 tree on this heavily wooded course.

For element X's, S is the only way to go. And yes, they fade more than elements. They also work better into a headwind. For elements, the E is like old school champion plastic IMO. S elements get understable a little. If you're gonna get just one, an E element is your best bet.

And am I the only one who liked the pro-d buzz the best of all the buzzes?
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Next

Return to General Discussion