Uphill/Downhill Teeboxes

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Uphill/Downhill Teeboxes

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:02 am

I am having a hard time with teeboxes that slant uphill. Several of the holes at my home course have teeboxes that are a foot higher at the front than the back (tees are crushed limestone) as well as uneven. Whenever I am on a tee that is uphill, I shank or griplock my drive high and right (waaaay high and right). I've tried to compensate by aiming lower and to the left, but then I have this thought in the back of my mind that I'm aiming on the wrong line and have no accuracy now. Any tips on how to deal with this?
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Blake_T » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:52 am

shorten your final step and/or get more speed into your run up.

the griplock you are getting is caused by having your weight back.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:35 pm

There is one uphill hole that I can think of on my local course. How about throwing with a little bit of hyzer? Or is there an annhyzer approach you can take?

The one on my course has hw problems, so I've taken to bringing it in from the right rather than throwing straitht at the hole. Of course, I'm probably taking away my ace chance.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:21 am

If i need 300'+ Ill do a run up x-step but if i need it 150-300 ill just do a stationary throw, as unless im moving fast, its hard for me to get my weight over my plantfoot...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:44 pm

I tend to throw a less stable disc on uphill holes than I would on the same layout on flat ground. I believe this is because less stable discs tend to be less nose angle sensitive. Throwing uphill I often get discs nose up alittle more than on level ground. I also find the later fade of a less stable disc is very important to getting distance uphill.
This also applies to downhill, I throw more stable, because I tend to get discs more nose down, which generally causes discs to turn more.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Return to Technique