Movies

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby garublador » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:43 am

superq wrote:Grandmas boy - holy crap I have not laughed that hard in a long time... and Linda cardellini is SMOKIN HOT!!!

My wife and I were very pleasantly surprised by "Out Cold" and "Slackers" as well. On paper they look like really dumb movies and, well, they kind of are, but they were also a lot funnier than we expected.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby bigs348 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:09 pm

garublador wrote:My wife and I were very pleasantly surprised by "Out Cold" and "Slackers" as well. On paper they look like really dumb movies and, well, they kind of are, but they were also a lot funnier than we expected.

Man, I hate admitting this, but I'll have to agree with you on those.

I saw Out Cold on half price night (50 cents) when I was in college, and it was so dumb but so, so great at the same time.

"Hey! Hot sluts with tits!"
"Dude, you don't have to do that anymore, remember?"
"Oh yeah. Sorry, old habits die hard. I LOVE MEN!! Who wants me?"

Slackers I caught on TV, and it was hilarious. Jason Schwartzman is great.

"I had a nickname for you. You wanna know what it was? I'm not going to tell you... All right, it was 'Laser'."
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:14 pm

timbuk:

it's one that's hard to articulate. i agree that baumbach and anderson have that feel, but it's presented differently. i've always felt the coen films i've seen were kind of like "hah, get it? if you don't, you're a moron!" "getting it" seems pivotal to getting value (other than entertainment) out of some of their movies (even though most don't get it). with baumbach and anderson i've felt they were more like "hah, get it? if not, that's okay dude"

the scene in kicking & screaming where they are in the dorm room drinking 40's and listening to bob marley... hah... if you lived in a dorm you know what i mean... or blondie heart of glass at the seedy dive campus bar. i've just never felt it was force fed.

i agree hudsucker is overlooked. no one ever mentions it when listing their "best films." the wacky charicatures of people tend to really require a lot of film experience to fully appreciate what they are, but if you've seen mr. deeds goes to town, meet john doe, you can't take it with you, my man godfrey, etc. you can see what an homage the film is.

dom: flirting w/ disaster is a david o. russell film, who is on my list of fav directors (although i like i heart huckabees more).
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby domromer » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:14 pm

I couldn't get into I heart huckabees at all. I tried too, I thought Mark Walber was really good in it, I like him when he doesn't play a tough guy.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby deaddisc » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:47 pm

I love " I heart Huckabees", and so does my gf. We have seen it tons of times and it never gets worse, in fact it keeps getting better. Any thoughts on litte miss sunshine?
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:12 pm

havn't seen little miss sunshine.

as for huckabees... a lot of the theories they cover are actually true...

for those who believe in indigo children, etc. and know if you are one or not, you know exactly what i'm talking about.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Movies

Postby Mommawannathrow » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:50 pm

ahem, little miss sunshine was just at the $1.50 movie theater with the real butter a/k/a Plaza maplewood (www.plazamaplewood.com)
Mommawannathrow
Noob

Favorite Disc: #3 driver

Postby domromer » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:27 pm

I thought Little miss sunshine was really good, one of the best movies I saw last year.. I'm really looking foreword to the movie 300, check out the preview.
http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/

The acting doesn't look too hot, but the effects look really cool
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:48 am

domromer wrote:I thought Little miss sunshine was really good, one of the best movies I saw last year.. I'm really looking foreword to the movie 300, check out the preview.

Yeah, that movie has some potential, I hope they don't screw it up. I read the graphic novel by Frank Miller, and what I saw in the previews looked like it was holding pretty true to his style (much like Sin City). Thing is, the book only took like an hour to read, so they're obviously going to have to throw in some filler...which treads on dangerous territory. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mommawannathrow » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:53 am

domromer wrote:I thought Little miss sunshine was really good, one of the best movies I saw last year.. I'm really looking foreword to the movie 300, check out the preview.

ya, the trailer looks way cool. I love movies where guys have those metal things covering their noses. I totally want to see little miss sunshine (HINT HINT) Isn't it about a dysfunctional family? I love love loved squid and the whale, too. I totally stayed awake for it, so you know it's good.
Mommawannathrow
Noob

Favorite Disc: #3 driver

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:58 am

See Brick!

Watched it last night and damn!!
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby BaggerB » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:01 pm

the first dusk till dawn and all the broken lizard movies.

grandmas boy is absolutley hilarious too!
the only 14 year old bagger
BaggerB
Noob

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:31 pm

anyone else dying to see "There Will be Blood"

i am going to see it this weekend for sure
Daniel Day-Lewis is nasty

his role as bill the butcher in gangs of new york is one of my favorite all time movie characters.
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby MR. WICK » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:35 pm

The greatest movie I've seen in a while was Into the Wild. And the soundtrack is great too.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby DELETED » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:29 pm

DELETED
DELETED

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.