Disc selection and power level.

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc selection and power level.

Postby Darklord » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:59 am

Blake, When you are selecting discs based on different levels of power, e.g. Tier 2 drivers for 250-300ft range, what disc weights would you be refering to for achieving that distance?. Also, would throwing lighter weights alow you to throw more overstable molds for more distance?
Darklord
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:54 am

I thought the same thing when I saw that gateway has made EDGE weight (below 130g) Spirits! Its been a long time since I threw a spirit, and I am throwing 150' further now, but I rember that disc being a good lawn dart that with anny would go 150' max. I realize now that it was probably all me, and it was a new S spirit (more overstable?).

Im curious to see how a PIG of a disc like a spirit would fly at 130g... :roll:
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

overstable light discs

Postby twmccoy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:16 pm

Try a 150 flick sometime. This is easily the most overstable light disc I've ever thrown. In your hand it feels like a paper plate, but when you release it all it does is hyzer. A 150 talon flies like a valk compared to this flick. I also threw a 165 monster once and that thing didn't give up a bit of stability due to its light weight.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:42 pm

yeah I loved 150 flicks for a while, they seemed more overstable than the heavier ones even. The only reason I dont carry one is my 166 is longer for my thumbers (which is why I carry one at all, most other discs hurt my thumb to really rip a thumber) although the 150 was as accurate/predictable as the 166
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:47 pm

darklord:

for tier 2, it's definitely more important about the mold/plastic than weight. generally i recommend weights to go along somewhat with physical strength. most healthy adult males should be able to throw 168-172g drivers pretty easily in that speed range.

you'll find with slower discs, the design dictates the flight characteristics more than the weight.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Blake_T » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:49 pm

btw that was for drivers.

for mids/putters weight shouldn't be that big of an issue but i wouldn't go much above 176g for those types of discs.
Blake_T

Postby garublador » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:22 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:Im curious to see how a PIG of a disc like a spirit would fly at 130g... :roll:

They're super flat (almost no dome at all), really overstable and very touchy. My E Spirits are straighter and fly farther than my super light S Spirits.

It's funny to throw them into a headwind. They get batted around a lot, but still fly overstable.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:47 am

thats what I expected to hear, mabey I will have to try a spirit again sometime, but I think I would have to throw mid 160's to get the same effect as I like out of my overstable discs.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

light illusion

Postby twmccoy » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:37 am

Yeah, I saw a guy fish a 150 illusion out of the pond at expo and it was the flattest disc I've ever seen. My 175 illusion has a dome to it, but this one didn't. Looked very overstable.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Blake_T » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:43 am

a lot of the gateway models are overstable in their design...
i had a 130g demon that was just as overstable as the 175g demons i've thrown.
Blake_T

Postby discmonkey42 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:00 am

garublador wrote:
Thatdirtykid wrote:Im curious to see how a PIG of a disc like a spirit would fly at 130g... :roll:

They're super flat (almost no dome at all), really overstable and very touchy. My E Spirits are straighter and fly farther than my super light S Spirits.

It's funny to throw them into a headwind. They get batted around a lot, but still fly overstable.

I was wondering if anyone elses did this. Mine fly like they're having a twitching fit into strong wind, but still stay overstable. It will pitch over for a quick second and then back to its hyzer line. Really weird to watch fly. I'm actually liking the speed demon for wind a little more as it holds its line no matter how strong the wind. I have a 169 SD that flies just like the heavier ones.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Weebl » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:09 am

When selecting disc weights, I take in a few factors. Will it see much wind? Do I want it to go super distance, or do I want it to be more accurate and lastly is it stable due to rim design, or by a wide rim? If it has rim stablizers, I'll get a 164~ gram driver (Starfire-X, TeeBird, Eagle) otherwise if it's going to see wind 172-175, (if only tailwind 140g-160g) For Discs that aren't much of a headwind driver, even in max weight, I usually like them somewhere in the 165-171 range, I'm really liking my 164 Tsunami (It reminds me of a overstable Starfire-X, I can't wait till it beats in a little!)... as well as my 168 Valk.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:36 pm

Im really liking a lighter tsunami also, however my Z avengers fly nearly as well. Im thinking I will get a lighter (mid 160s) z pred and just keep the tsunamis for backup if I lose my Z avengers. But they arent different enough from the aveners to justify carrying one and a pred.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Return to Equipment