I just have that yearning to buy something, suggestions?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

I too am wanting to buy something

Postby rodman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:45 am

I want more! I cant stop buying discs. I love having the different plastic to play with and learn on. I have a nice selection now. I have 13 discs in my bag of which i probably only use 5 or 6. Most of them just get use in special situations and on the practice field.

I have
2 archangels
1 Sabre
2 Tee bird L
1 Beast DX brand new
1 roadrunner
1 quarter K (not good disc for me)
1 very used cyclone
1 leopard
1 element (new and hasnt fit into my game yet... but I hear good things)
1 Stingray
1 roc (gets tons of use, I even putt with it some)
1 Aviar Champion putter

I've been playing a month or so and my scores have come down almost 20 strokes. I am now averaging bogey golf. My driving distance is 250-330 feet and my discs are just getting broken in and moving like they should.

Does anyone see any holes in my bag? As I view it I have a well rounded bag with several extra drivers to play with and learn on while in practice time. I use the tee birds, leopard and roadrunner off the tee and the roc and leopard for most other shots. The stingray gets a lot of work on specality shots like anheisers and shots where a low glider is needed.

The archangels arent broken in yet so I'm not really getting any high speed turn on them but they fade at the end so I am using this disc for longer hyzers and it's working out nicely. I can also use the Quarter K for this purpose.... Until i learn to throw that thing off the tee for distance...

What a great sport... you guys are helpful as is almost everyone you meet in stores or at the field. It's fun to be fanatical.
rodman
Noob
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:23 pm
Location: Cary, NC

Postby jiwaburst » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:32 pm

Not a sexy suggestion, but I'd go for a DX Aviar to go with your
champ one. Keep the same mold and disc, but the grip on DX is much more forgiving when wet. And the DX beats in a little bit, so you can chose between the two, especially when you need a slight anhyzer put.

Putting and approaching are not sexy, but it's where strokes melt away from your score.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:16 am
Location: central valley, CA

Re: I too am wanting to buy something

Postby garublador » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:46 pm

rodman wrote:Does anyone see any holes in my bag? As I view it I have a well rounded bag with several extra drivers to play with and learn on while in practice time.


I don't see any really overstable discs in there. You could play around with a Spirit, Monster, Firebird, Predator or something like that.
garublador
Disc Whore
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:37 am
Location: Urbandale, IA

Postby rodman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:48 pm

hmmmm. interesting idea. Thanks for that input. I know just like in ball golf, most of the time you can improve your score more dramatically when you get close to the hole. A good short game makes up for lots of woes in the long game.
rodman
Noob
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:23 pm
Location: Cary, NC

Re: I too am wanting to buy something

Postby rodman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:01 pm

Quote: " I don't see any really overstable discs in there. You could play around with a Spirit, Monster, Firebird, Predator or something like that."


Well, I dont seem to have a problem turning some discs to the left so i've stayed away from overstable. That was quite an astute observation however I'm not sure i need them. This actually brings me to a question....

when broken in will I still be able to turn my archangels and quarter Ks as hard to the left as I can right now?

What use would I have for an overstable disc since I can accomplishe that same flight with some of my discs now? If their flight patterns will change then I need to address that.

I had an orc and lost it in a lake.
rodman
Noob
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:23 pm
Location: Cary, NC

Postby garublador » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:20 pm

DX Archangles are notorious for being very understable and very unpredictable. As your technique improves and as they get beat in they will get more and more squirrely. I have a friend that throws only sidearm (except putts) and the Archangel is the only disc he has that he can get an understable flight path out of. He has a beat in JLS, a Z XL and a DX Cobra that fly really straight for him.

The QK will probably start to get straighter and straighter as you get better and it beats in, but I'm not familiar with the disc, so that's just a guess.

The only reason I recommended that was because as you get better, you'll eventually find a use for a naturally overstable disc, so it may be useful to get used to some of them now. I wouldn't really call it a hole in your bag at the moment, especally if you can get a good hyzer from other discs, but it's a type of disc you don't have yet so it may be interesting to try out.
garublador
Disc Whore
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:37 am
Location: Urbandale, IA

Postby adidadg » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:25 pm

You're probably right, if you dont feel the need for it you probably shouldnt get one. What is stable for some throwers may be overstable for others so it is all relative.

All discs become less stable as they wear, so your AA and QK will gradually become easier to turn to the right than they are now. This may happen relatively quickly since they are both made from plastic thats not very durable. Once this occurs then you might want to move up to something more stable, expecially for windy situations. A teebird or an eagle is a good headwind driver for lower power throwers.

You have a good set up for Midrange and putting, a DX aviar (either to replace or compliment the Champion you already have) could be a good addition as was suggested.

Otherwise I would suggest simplifying your bag rather than expanding it, but where is the fun in that??
adidadg
 

Putter

Postby rodman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:17 pm

This is a very interesting conversation. I thought I did myself a favor by buying champion plastic aviar but you recommend otherwise. I'll look into that. I confess that I've been using my DX ROC for some putts.

you're right on the simplification... where's the fun. Reality is that I dont make it too complicated when on the course. I surely dont use them all. I use about 6 of them.
rodman
Noob
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:23 pm
Location: Cary, NC

Postby presidio hills » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:31 pm

out of the discs you mentioned i'd personally recommend throwing the sabre and the leopard on the course and pick your fave eventually and get another to beat in with it. figure out how to get distance with 'em throwing it nice and easy.
if you dig the roc you don't really need to travel into 'element land'... and vice versa. i'd get 2 more of whatever one you want to go with. rocs are most easily available and i have no complaints with it as my only midrange (aside from my overstable champion gator). it's great to practice with 3 of the same disc... especially midranges.
stingrays are fun to get around things, but i think you should figure out how to use your putter and rocs for these throws.

i think it's good to practice with at least 3 of each disc... so i'd suggest picking a mold for each purpose and getting some more.
there's my advice.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:04 pm
Location: san francisco

Re: Putter

Postby trogdor » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:52 pm

rodman wrote:This is a very interesting conversation. I thought I did myself a favor by buying champion plastic aviar but you recommend otherwise. I'll look into that. I confess that I've been using my DX ROC for some putts.

you're right on the simplification... where's the fun. Reality is that I dont make it too complicated when on the course. I surely dont use them all. I use about 6 of them.


Get some more of those six. Having an extra putter or 2 is great. Especially if you practice/play alone. Sinking 3 putts per hole is better practice than one. Just be aware of players behind you. (Don't take those extra putts if you're holding up others.)
trogdor
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:10 pm
Location: Colorado

Postby sleepy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:32 am

A practice basket and 10 exact copies of your favorite putter. I've only been playing for six months and I already feel putting is more important than driving. Even if you have a bad drive, you should be able to save for par (or at least bogey) if you're a good putter. If you can't afford a basket, at least get the stack of putters.

I've already got my practice basket (Discatcher Sport) and I'm trying out several putters to determine my favorite...it's down to the Aviar P&A, and the Soft Magnet at the moment. I should probably try some Wizards before I make my final choice though...


sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

Image
PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1077
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:52 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby garublador » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:42 am

sleepy wrote:I've already got my practice basket (Discatcher Sport) and I'm trying out several putters to determine my favorite...it's down to the Aviar P&A, and the Soft Magnet at the moment. I should probably try some Wizards before I make my final choice though...


Not that you aren't doign it, but I would hightly recommend finding a putter that you're comfortable driving and approaching with as well.
garublador
Disc Whore
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:37 am
Location: Urbandale, IA

Postby sleepy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:04 pm

garublador wrote:Not that you aren't doign it, but I would hightly recommend finding a putter that you're comfortable driving and approaching with as well.


A great point. I have, up until now, been using the same putter(s) for driving and putting. I am using a soft rhyno for windy putts, and it comes off of the tee rather well, but only for short distances. Do most people use a different one for each use (wind, regular putts and approach/driving) or do most people try to find one that does it all?

I don't want to hijack this thread too badly, so I'll check out the 'putter off the tee' threads for recommendations...


sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

Image
PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1077
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:52 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:09 pm

sleepy wrote:A practice basket and 10 exact copies of your favorite putter. I've only been playing for six months and I already feel putting is more important than driving. Even if you have a bad drive, you should be able to save for par (or at least bogey) if you're a good putter. If you can't afford a basket, at least get the stack of putters.

I've already got my practice basket (Discatcher Sport) and I'm trying out several putters to determine my favorite...it's down to the Aviar P&A, and the Soft Magnet at the moment. I should probably try some Wizards before I make my final choice though...


sleepy


If you like putting with avair p&a and soft magnets, the wizard will put a bit different for you. If you try one mabey a lighter one would be better for your style. They are aswome driving putters in any weight.
I used soft magnets a while, you will want to replace them more often than other putters because they get fairly inconsistant as they beat.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3673
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:35 am
Location: Longmont Co
Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby sleepy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:36 pm

Thanks, Thatdirtykid

I'm thinking of doing the '5 Wizards for $35' deal from Gateway's site. I figure that'll give me a good mix of weights/plastics to learn which I like better/worse for putting/driving/approaching.


sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

Image
PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1077
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:52 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Favorite Disc: Comet

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests