Left Arm Extension

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Left Arm Extension

Postby shanest » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:59 am

Let me start by saying that I don't have bad form and am not looking for a major form overhaul. One flaw that has been pointed out to me is that I do not extend my left arm in the opposite direction of my right arm when I am in full pullback. This probably doesn't fully open my shoulders. What are the results of not extending the left arm in the pullback? What will happen if I do begin extending it out?
For references, there's a video of me throwing an airshot and another of me throwing a roller if you click here. My left arm leaves my body a little bit, but nowhere near as much as most of the people who have technique videos on this site. However, some people (Cameron Todd, Avery Jenkins) have very similar left arm motion to me.
So, should I start incorporating more extension in to my throw? What will be the benefits? And what side effects will show up?
shanest
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:55 am

the left arm extension is only as a "guide" when developing form in order to make sure that you get the upper body rotation as most newer players tend to try to throw the disc without rotating their upper body.

you seem to get your body turned away at max reach back to the extent that it should be so i do not see any reason that you need to use it to help the turn away as you are already 180 degrees from the target. i do know several people who use it as a check mechanism, since on occasion on tighter holes they tend to get "scared" and do not allow their upper body to turn all the way. the only benefit i really see is that it ensures full rotation away. the downside of it is that then there needs to be a conscious motion to bring the arm back close to your side during the pull through.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby shanest » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:47 pm

Thanks Blake. This is just how my form naturally developed from observing other people, reading articles (mainly on this site), and seeing what worked. The left arm extension was just something that didn't get incorporated and it now feels unnatural if I try and do it, so it's good to know that I don't need to.
shanest
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:27 pm

the only time it may come into play are on really tight tunnel shots when accuracy is critical. might recommend shooting some video on some of these types of holes. a lot of people end up wanting to keep their eyes down the fairway and as a result, don't get a full turn which leads to not enough snap and a grip lock.

also which should be of note, not all people perform best with turning their back all the way to the basket during the reach.
Blake_T

Postby shanest » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:43 pm

I've never seemed to have had problems on accuracy shots, many times birdying a hole at our course that's 300' uphill (about 5' elevation change), about 10 or 12' wide and dead straight. I'll still take some to see what it's like in comparison next time I'm at the course.
shanest
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:49 pm

i guess a lot of it depends on what the courses are like

we have several courses with 400'+ shots with 10' wide fairways that you can't reach unless you really get ahold of em and it's often better to lay up with a midrange if you aren't going to "go for it"

the majority of people who go for it tend to underrotate and underdrive badly on those holes
Blake_T

Return to Technique