Making an Archangel Gummy?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Making an Archangel Gummy?

Postby schla104 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:03 pm

I've been reading and heard that if you leave a disc, specifically dx type plastic, in water long enough, it will become very gummy and fly different. Is this true? I used to have a gummy Archangel that flew very different from the hard one I have now. I could throw that disc very far sidearm. It was my farthest flying disc. If I could recreate what I lost this way that would be awesome.
schla104
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:07 pm

no, the gummy archangels were a blend of plastic they used but it is on the tail end of its lifespan right now.

if you were to beat up a regular archangel to that gummy they would be horrifically understable.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:05 pm

are the "gummy" archangels just abit softer than regular dx? or is it more like special blend?

Im asking because my girlfriend has a archangel thats softer than any dx driver ive seen. Shes looking for me to give her my old 150 class valk (which I think is a better beginner driver, im not a fan of archangels, even for beginners) and shed be willing to trade off her old archangel if anyone wants it.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:24 pm

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about, but some of the locals call it gummying up a disc; they mainly do it to putters so that they catch the chains better, according to them.

They leave it in the dashboards of their car when it is very hot. I did this to a putt and approach aviar. All that it seemed to do was make it floppy.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Archangels

Postby rodman » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:31 pm

Does anyone like archangels? I havent read much good about them... although I just bought my 3rd one. I dont have one that is properly broken in yet. The 2 I have remaining are still very stiff and still fade left with almost no right turn YET. I am looking forward to breaking one in to get that gliding S curve that i read about in the marketeing of the archangel. Great expectations... no results yet... but i'm patient.
rodman
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:34 pm

my 2nd longest throw of all time on flat ground was with a first run dx archangel back in 2001 at 474'.

it is super inconsistent... but if you rip it right it will go.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:58 pm

Blake_T wrote:my 2nd longest throw of all time on flat ground was with a first run dx archangel back in 2001 at 474'.

it is super inconsistent... but if you rip it right it will go.

I never said it wouldnt go long, but that inconsistancy is enough to make the disc useless.
What disc was your longest (and how long)...

im geussing dx valk
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

archangel

Postby twmccoy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:29 pm

No, leaving DX discs in water will do nothing to make them floppy. I have found DX discs in lakes that had been there over a year and they had the same consistency. I did find a fairly gummy DX archangel once, but it actually flew really overstable. You might try finding a CFR archangel, but they are rare. I only have one.

BTW, I also don't really like the archangel. Very flippy and not that long. I can throw a valk or sidewinder way farther and more consistently. For me an archangel won't S curve, it just turns over and keeps going. No low speed fade at all.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Return to Equipment