Masking discs during dying?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Weebl » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:06 pm

KC pro plastic is similar to DX in the fact it wont hold dye at all. At least Rit Dye, is it possible to take a permenant marker, take the ink cartrage out of it and soak it in acetone then use that on the disc? Or any other methods?
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:37 pm

Weebl wrote:KC pro plastic is similar to DX in the fact it wont hold dye at all. At least Rit Dye, is it possible to take a permenant marker, take the ink cartrage out of it and soak it in acetone then use that on the disc? Or any other methods?

Not true, I've dyed KC Pro plastic really easy with rit dye. Just use a cap full of acetone nail polish remover, even the non acetone works + 2-3 teaspoons of rit dye. Works great. Also if you heat some water with the rit in it to just before boiling and dip the disc in it'll dye easy.

Same with DX discs.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

DX plastic

Postby twmccoy » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:46 pm

We tried dyeing a DX disc one time and it flat out didn't work, even with acetone. Any other plastic will dye fine though.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Pagan » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:53 pm

Fritz wrote:
Weebl wrote:KC pro plastic is similar to DX in the fact it wont hold dye at all. At least Rit Dye, is it possible to take a permenant marker, take the ink cartrage out of it and soak it in acetone then use that on the disc? Or any other methods?

Not true, I've dyed KC Pro plastic really easy with rit dye. Just use a cap full of acetone nail polish remover, even the non acetone works + 2-3 teaspoons of rit dye. Works great. Also if you heat some water with the rit in it to just before boiling and dip the disc in it'll dye easy.

Same with DX discs.

I reccomend using hot water regardles of plastic to dye. I pur in the dye, and turn on the heat till I see tiny bubbles starting. I tunr off heat and let settle down, insert disc and let it set. I've found hot water works better.
Just my $.02
Pagan
Wizard, Buzzz!, Sabre, Avenger
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Average Controlled Drives ~ 330'
Max Make Putt Range ~ 60'
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Re: DX plastic

Postby Fritz » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:48 pm

twmccoy wrote:We tried dyeing a DX disc one time and it flat out didn't work, even with acetone. Any other plastic will dye fine though.

It's all about the mixture.
THis disc is really old, I've used it for almsot 9 months so it's beat up and faded but here it is.

Example: DX Rox : Technique Acetone and Rit Dye: Length on disc, 10 minutes. Rinse: Cold Water

FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:16 pm

nice josh, that still looks like it took the dye better than ive gotten dx to take.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Hadoken » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:04 pm

When you guys talk about mixing the dye with acetone are you finding pure acetone somewhere or are you just using finger nail polish remover? Acetone is the main ingredient in polish remover but there are sometimes other ingredients as well.

:oops:
Learning to read would be nice, I see someone already answered my question up this page.

But a new question, when you use elmers glue, would it work to mask off the design, then put a thick bead of glue around the edge of the masking tape?
I'm guessing since it's just elmers glue if it does happen to dry in the process you can peel it off?
Hadoken
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:39 pm

go to ace and buy a half gallon, it dosnt much more than a bottle of nail polish remover
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Hadoken » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:31 am

Sorry, I'm still not sure about the Elmers Glue thing.

Do you put the glue down in your design and let it dry totally before starting the dying, or do you try to dye the disc and wash the glue off before the glue dries?

I guess Elmers glue would come off with some rubbing after its dry, but if you dye the disc when the glue is still wet wouldn't some of the dye end up getting through the glue?

Edit, I found some contact paper lying around the house, do I even need to use glue if I use contact paper? It seems there are some conflicting stories about acetone bleeding through contact paper...
Hadoken
Noob

Postby Fritz » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:58 am

I just use Contact paper and/or electrical tape.
I tried teh glue technique and I wasn't impressed.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:08 pm

glue is great when you dont need sharp lines, like if you just want a random kinda design. contact paper as a negitive with vasoline is my fav method, that and spin dying. Email me if you want me to send some pics ouf of different dyeing methods. thatdirtykid@gmail.com
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Fritz » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:34 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:glue is great when you dont need sharp lines, like if you just want a random kinda design. contact paper as a negitive with vasoline is my fav method, that and spin dying. Email me if you want me to send some pics ouf of different dyeing methods. thatdirtykid@gmail.com

Do you use the Bucket Drill technique for the spin design?
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Hadoken » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:40 pm

I've just decided to test one out on my Elite Z Magnet (dayglo orange) with a simple design.
I've already got the contact paper on the disc but I'm deliberating whether or not to redo it. I overcut one of the corners and I'm thinking it'll probably bleed into the cut, but I'm not to worried about how it looks on the first go round. I'm more interested to find out how the Pearl Gray RIT will color the orange disc.

I own a RX-7, so my simple design is going to be a smaller rotor in the middle of the disc.
http://www.mazdatrix.com/8pics/8engine/rotor2.jpg

Then I'm going to use the grey and green and do a Xbox 360 logo on a white disc so the colors will actually be right.
Hadoken
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:11 pm

Fritz wrote:
Thatdirtykid wrote:glue is great when you dont need sharp lines, like if you just want a random kinda design. contact paper as a negitive with vasoline is my fav method, that and spin dying. Email me if you want me to send some pics ouf of different dyeing methods. thatdirtykid@gmail.com

yeah, I was accually the one who submitted that tecnique to dgr, Ive worked out some of the kinks and have gotten some decent results.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Fritz » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:34 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:
Fritz wrote:

yeah, I was accually the one who submitted that tecnique to dgr, Ive worked out some of the kinks and have gotten some decent results.

Kewl, I haven't tried it yet. I tried the record Player and it just doesn't spin fast enough.
Made some neat designs from it tho, but not what I wanted.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment