Putter practice: What discs?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Putter practice: What discs?

Postby Darklord » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:18 am

Blake and forum members,

When training with your putters, is it more important to use clones of the same disc, or is it ok to mix slight differences in plastic and weight of the same mold? Also, is it better to use different stages of wear of the same mold,or switch between plastics to change flight paths?
Darklord
Noob

Postby roadkill » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:57 am

I personaly prefer to practice with all the same mold and similar weights.

However, if you don't have 5 or 10 putters of the same mold, it doesn't hurt to throw in a few other putters with similar flight characteristics.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Fritz » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:21 am

I was told by some long time playing disc golfers PDGA# 387 - John Bird and PDGA# 584 - John Schiller. Play like you practice, and if you putt with a 175 Aviar while playing then practice with all 175 Aviars. They told me that if you should also just pick a putter and stick with it.
Once I took their advice I picked the Wizard and I only practice with 5 175g Wizards. My putting skills really improved, because I got comfortable with that putter. John Schiller showed me his putters and he told me he's been using those same putters since 1984.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Blake_T » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:21 am

i put stock in putting strokes more than in putting styles.

a putting stroke is independent of disc, stance, etc.

practicing a putting stroke does not depend on the specific putter.

part of the style i have developed is one that is not dependent upon the specific putter inside of 25' or so and i can play a round with nearly any putter and not have a dramatic change in my scoring.

so basically: if you can putt pretty well with nearly any putter, it shouldn't matter what putter you use to practice the stroke. if you are working on your lines for a tournament, etc., it is probably ideal to use similar putters but it is by no means mandatory, especially if you have similar design putters to work with, e.g. kc aviar, wizard, challenger, banger = similar lines for all 4.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Fritz » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:24 am

Blake_T wrote:i put stock in putting strokes more than in putting styles.

a putting stroke is independent of disc, stance, etc.

practicing a putting stroke does not depend on the specific putter.

part of the style i have developed is one that is not dependent upon the specific putter inside of 25' or so and i can play a round with nearly any putter and not have a dramatic change in my scoring.

so basically: if you can putt pretty well with nearly any putter, it shouldn't matter what putter you use to practice the stroke. if you are working on your lines for a tournament, etc., it is probably ideal to use similar putters but it is by no means mandatory, especially if you have similar design putters to work with, e.g. kc aviar, wizard, challenger, banger = similar lines for all 4.

Not to mention that Blake's Putting Style, helps remove the need for a jump putt. Using his putting style you can hit a 60footer without even having to use a jump putt and throw the disc like you are putting inside 20.
I've seen it done.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Blake_T » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:25 am

i jump putt at 35' :P
Blake_T

Postby Fritz » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:30 am

Blake_T wrote:i jump putt at 35' :P

Well ya don't need to with your putting style :P
Unless Scott modified your teachings.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Blake_T » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:36 am

it is likely.

scott always putted with a lot more elbow extension than i did (i use none).

i can make my putt fly 60' without a jump, but i have to putt nose up float style to do that, which i don't like to do. i usually putt flat to slight nose down.
Blake_T

Postby Darklord » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:40 am

With regards to my earlier question, Thanks for the replies. What would be the case for approaches 150' and in.?
Darklord
Noob

Postby Fritz » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:23 pm

Darklord wrote:With regards to my earlier question, Thanks for the replies. What would be the case for approaches 150' and in.?

I use my Rhyno.

predicted Blake reply: "Rhynos suck and are for newbs :P"
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby roadkill » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:34 pm

Wizard or Whittler
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:18 pm

Wizard too here, starting to mess with e wizards too, theyre more predictable, but not as long.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Weebl » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:26 pm

For approaches >70' ill use my Aviar-x 30% of the time, Classic Roc 15%, Roc 50% of the time and Firebird 5%(Values based on my 3 rounds today in heavily oak wooded courses). Depending on what line I want/need.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby presidio hills » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:17 am

Darklord wrote:With regards to my earlier question, Thanks for the replies. What would be the case for approaches 150' and in.?

schweberger was talking about aproaching on pdga radio's 60 second clinic. he said at this range he used to jump putt all day (which i guess top pros like him can do). but now he throws a low shot with a little bit of hyzer and low to the ground... either using a midrange (probably for most shots) or a driver (probably with a headwind, or if he needs a bigger fade).
i believe there's a distance where given the right conditions, it's better to "putt" at the basket... for me it's around 60-80'. not because i think it might go in, but because i can control distance very well plopping it down so i know i'll be close. outstide of that i'll "throw" it with hyzer. but, if there's even more than a little wind i'm throwing it until i'm 30' out or so. i'm trying to develop a throw that is a mixture of the two forms...
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Equipment