Star SL

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Star SL

Postby rodman » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:17 pm

What do you guys think of the SL? It's flight chart numbers are impressive showing that it has only a small fade left at the end which would generate that coveted S curve. I'm considering adding one to my stable of drivers.

I think I'm more into collecting plastic than I am actually into disc golf. I cant quit buying discs. Help.
rodman
Noob

starfire

Postby twmccoy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:20 pm

I know that for calm conditions, there are probably no discs that will outfly the pro starfire, which is the SL mold. Yes this thing S curves too.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: Star SL

Postby garublador » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:56 am

rodman wrote:I think I'm more into collecting plastic than I am actually into disc golf. I cant quit buying discs. Help.

This may be a case of the blind leading the blind. ;)

I say that if you're really concerned with getting as good as possible in the shortest amount of time, then fiddling around with as many different discs as possible may not be the best approach. However, it's incredibly enjoyable for most players, so if you're just in it to have fun then go ahead and try away. As long as you keep in mind which discs will aid in your development, then trying different ones out probably won't have a huge impact.

I've heard good things about the Star SL. I threw the Pro Starfire for a while and thought that it got a bit squirrley after it beat in. From what I understand, the Star version may not have that problem.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Fritz » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:01 am

This disc is Really great in a tail wind! Threw this at Pueblo's Steel City Shootout last weekend and man tail winds this disc will fly forever.
I really like it.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Blake_T » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:15 am

the star sl is pretty stable. saw some big guns throwing them and they were one of the straighter flying discs for them.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Weebl » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:40 am

I made a mistake when getting my star SL getting it in max weight... after hitting trees many many times though as well as other objects, it became a bit more manageable. It's a good disc for distance though, the wind tosses it around a bit though.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby schla104 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:43 pm

Just threw one today for a few rounds at our local course. Threw it sidearm and I overdrove many holes. Some I never overdrive otherwise, but as for the others, I thought I threw it light enough but it still went too far. I love this disc. Its 168g and it does fly straight. The only thing I noticed with it was at the end of its flight, it'd hit the ground and make a huge skip to the right. I landed it right by the pin a few times but the huge skip gave me some putting practice.
~Pred~Wraith~SOLF~XL~Roc~Warlock~Wizard
First Ace
4/4/06
schla104
Tree Magnet

Threw one yesterday

Postby rodman » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:03 pm

I had an opportunity to throw one (and order one) yesterday. I'd say it is as long as any in my bag. The one I threw wasnt broken in so it didnt really move much right but a small fade at the end wasnt bad. I'd say as I develop my form and get my distance up this one will be a performer. I cant wait to put it in my bag.
rodman
Noob

Postby presidio hills » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:17 pm

i used to throw a pro starfire... then i switched to the D XL and think the XL is a much more consistent flyer, even if it's not as far. similar flight paths, though.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Equipment