Just an observation

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:27 am

discmonkey42 wrote:Every shot just listed can be hit with a Wizard. Get an E for the woods if concerned, but left, straight, right, low, high, wind, or calm, inside 250' I'm reaching for a wizard. They don't let you down and aren't near as touchy as a glide or a breeze and can replace both IMHO.

Well I have the five wizard deal coming in the mail sometime this week :P. Hopefully this weekend I will be trying them out.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Pagan » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:43 am

mikesolt wrote:i concur...the banger does get beat up rather quickly....Z plastic..please!

Here Here! Gimme an Elite Z Banger GT or gimme a Putt'R GT The banger is a kickass approach disc! The putt'r has a great drop like a rock trait that I like to pull out for the "Go for it!" shots... I amazed my friend today (he's only been playing a little while now) by throwing my banger gt hyzer flip on a 210' hole. Released it hyzer, let it flip over to flat and glide a bit then it faded around the large tree seting up a nice putt.

Yeah an elite z banger would be awesome.
Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:11 am

I don't know if I want it in Z, I would rather just have it in X. That would give it the durability I need without changing the glide or stability of it too much.
Frank Delicious

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:27 pm

Id like it in x also, especially if its soft like the x puttr, but now Im switched back to wizards ( secretly happy ;-) )

by the way tomorrow evening I will be adding two bangers that are worn very evenly and are perfect worn for putting, to my list to trade, I would be willing to trade them both 2 for 1 for baseline plastic (because they are a bit worn)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby adidadg » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:47 pm

So far I have found that while my Banger does get marked up really easily with scuffs and scrapes (it really shows on the black plastic) the shape of the disc has not changed a bit, and there are no chunks out of it. This includes absolutely nailing a tree in cold weather (I'd say it was about 80% power and hit the tree about 60' away). Maybe it holds it shape better in the cold as the plastic would be less malluable (sp?).

either way im loving this putter and hoping to get a couple more.
adidadg

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:56 pm

I also stopped using it for putting and went to a SE rhyno. I hope my wizards get here today so I can throw them at my basket. I still use the banger for driving, for me it holds a line really well even in some pretty hefty wind.

Also if it was soft like the x puttr that would rock!
Frank Delicious

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:32 pm

the banger holds a line, and the wizard has a higher resistance to turn.

that makes me like the banger more for short and the wizard more for long.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby didihitatree » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:04 pm

I find myself throwing pretty much all discraft, but for me it's purely the X plastic. I just find it easier to throw than the Innova Pro, and the distance I get is better than with Z plus you don't have to fight the overstability and skips you get with Innova Champion. I like a lot of the Innova discs in DX but they just don't hold up..

I have a Gateway Wizard that I like, and I like the classic Roc in DX but the rest of my bag is all Discraft because Elite X discs just seem to have the right combination of durability and feeling good in my hand.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:39 am

I agree completely with tree. For me, the wizard holds a line well too.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

rhyno

Postby twmccoy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:56 am

Frank_Delicious wrote:I also stopped using it for putting and went to a SE rhyno. I hope my wizards get here today so I can throw them at my basket. I still use the banger for driving, for me it holds a line really well even in some pretty hefty wind.

Also if it was soft like the x puttr that would rock!

I also just switched to a pro rhyno for putts. I found the rhyno to be straighter and have less glide, which is what I was looking for. My most recent round was also one of my best due to fewer missed short putts. However the rhyno is lousy for driving off the tee. The banger has it beat in that category.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:07 pm

I agree the wizard holds a line, but it will also flip from a hyzer, and fade from an anny (which I both really like)
but the banger will flip from a hyzer, but it also holds a anny line to the ground, wether its accidental or not.
Over all the wizard is probably the best way to go (not to mention its more durable, available in more firmness/plastics, and a more consistant putter w/ less bounce outs)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby bigs348 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:18 am

So back when I first started playing I used XLs and MRVs a lot, and I tried the XS, Xpress, and various other Discraft discs. When the Flash first came out, it also had a place in my bag for about 6 months. Since then, I've switched to all Innova just because I find the flight ratings are easier for me to know what I'm getting and it's more readily available in my area.

Well, I just got a Z-Buzzz this weekend and I threw it around for about 45 minutes off the course. I instantly loved it, and I can't wait to get out and play again. I've had a lot of trouble finding midrange discs that I like and that work for me. I'd taken to stretching my putter distance out instead, but this isn't always the best thing for my game. This Buzzz is friggin' sweet and had a place in my bag inside of 15 mintues.

However, I'm now finding myself wanting to try more Discraft, just because of this one disc. I was looking at Discraft's website and Disc Golf Review and wondering what discs were comparable to the Innova discs that I carry, and I even found myself thinking back fondly to my beginner days with an XL (including my first ace). So, while I'm content with my lineup for now, I am planning to break out my old XLs and Flashes, and try out some more Discraft stuff once I get some money. It's a funny thing...
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:56 am

new stuff generally has that kind of appeal. If youre ever having trouble seeing which discraft molds are comparable to what innova, asking here youre sure to get quite a bit of response.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby eg37167 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:14 pm

On the topic of the Wizard, I finally got to throw one last week. I am no expert (struggle for par) but I love this disc. I wanted to try it since my Sabre is a favorite. I am becoming a Gateway convert, even though it is harder to find locally than Innova or discraft. Not that I dislike the other brands but the feel and control on my Gateway discs is superior for me.
eg37167
Tree Magnet

Postby bigs348 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:20 pm

Good call. I'm not planning to flip the whole bag over for no reason, but I would like to try out the Discraft equivalents and see if I can mix it up a bit.

Currently, this is my bag and what I think might be the equivalent, from what I've thrown in the past and from reading descriptions. If you think there's a better equal, let me know.

2 Wraiths (DX, Star) - - - - - - - - - - - - ESP Surge, maybe a D Crush or X Avenger?
Tee-Rex (Star) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Z Avenger
Orc (Champ for overhands) - - - - - - Z Flick
2 Firebirds (Champ, Star) - - - - - - - -X or Z Predator
Sidewinder (Star for rolling) - - - - - - Beat EliteX XL
4 Teebird-Ls (2 Star, 2 CFR) - - - - - XLs, Trackers
Roc (champ) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Z Wasp
Z Buzzz
Panther (Champ) - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Comet? Glide?
2 Aviars (Star, 10x KC Pro) - - - - - - - Magnet for putting, X Challenger for driving?

I tried out a bunch of Gateway a while back, but had an extremely hard time finding good equivalents. This seems like it could work better...
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion