Grip struggles...

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Grip struggles...

Postby eg37167 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:19 pm

I am officially looking for help on grips. I have wandered between a power grip (three and four finger variations) but cannot develop the level of consistency to be content. My objective is not for long distance on drives or mid shots but to be consistent and develop adequate control. I don't do the X-step either and I have reviewed the great instructional articles-- Thanks to Blake for such a great resource!
But who can give me some good advice on grip selection and developing consistency?
eg37167
Tree Magnet

Postby adidadg » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:34 pm

the key is to find what grip works best for you. For example the top pro in my area uses a Bonapane grip (which many find very unorthodox) and he throws with amazing distance and accuracy. Check out Blakes Grip article and see what grips feel comfortable to start with and then work with that. Pay particular attention to what he says about disc orientation and where the disc should sit in your hand.

You can also check out Dave Dunipace's grip descriptions here:
http://www.innovadiscs.com/tips/davesgripsmain.html

personally, For about 3 years I have used what Dave calls the "split power/fork grip" (although I think it is more similar to the control grip than the Fork grip). I have smaller hands and it works well for me. What I like most about it is I can use it for every single backhand shot outside of 60 feet (I still use a fan grip for putts), so I dont have to make any grip adjustments depending on the shot I am making.

I had some grip issues a while back, and what helped me is to "grip with your fingers, not your hand". in other words dont bury the disc into the palm of your hand. This goes back to Disc Orientation....Hope some or any of this helps....
adidadg

Postby roadkill » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:39 pm

Back in the late 80s I was having trouble with the power grip. I was turning everything over and getting some flutter occassionally.

I then switched to a Bodapane (sp?) grip. This is what is more commonly known today as the fork grip. The disc is pinched between the index and middle fingers with the remaining fingers either fanned underneath or curled on the rim as in the powergrip.

Some people choose to overlap the index finger on top of their thumb on the flight plate. I started out doing this (more power) but later moved the index finger off the thumb.

I still use this (fork) grip a lot. I use it on backhand approaches 75-300' , on drives with blunt nosed (roc like) discs or even with beveled edged discs where accuracy is at a premium.

You may want to experiment with it. It takes some getting used to as it may feel strange at first. When I switched it took about two weeks of daily practice until I "owned" it, but then it felt natural and my control and consistency improved dramaticly.

Your mileage may vary, but I've had good success with my control after switching. (I still use the power grip when the need for power is greater than the need for accuracy)
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby NCSUphenom » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:54 pm

I use the power grip for my drivers. It seem like with a power grip you get less control at first, but gain a lot more distance.

For throws around 300 or less I switch to a fan grip and tend to use slightly understable discs (cobra, champ classic roc).

Get a feel for a certain grip and use what's comfortable
Raleigh DG born Charlotte DG bred
NCSUphenom
Noob

Postby calvarycoffee » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:07 am

i hurt my arm a couple weeks ago (tennis elbow) and had to refigure my grip.

i have trouble squeezing so i keep my thumb light, and fingers stiff (i think of them as "fish hooking" the rim).

i use the forward momentum of the disc to keep the nose down.

i've been more consistant this way, also. plus better (more stable) flights, and bigger distance.

your inconsistancy might be the varible strength you grip with from throw to throw, as was in my case (or limited grip strength).

dave
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Return to General Discussion