Strive for max weight?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Strive for max weight?

Postby Darklord » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:33 pm

I was told by some local club members that one should strive to throw max weight discs. anyone care to comment!
Darklord
Noob

Postby AciDBatH666 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:35 pm

Heavier discs usually will give you more control. I carry sets of a couple of discs with different weights for this purpose.
2 orcs, 168 and 174
2 Starfires, 175 and 168
2 Firebirds, 168 and 175....

I mainly do it cuz i know that when i rip my lighter weight discs, i can make them turn understable. The heavier ones hold a straighter line for me, tending to not turn over nearly as much. So thats why I carry a couple weights of certain discs, all for varying shots.

I'd say, if you find yourself turning over a lot of discs, go heavier. Kind of do some experimenting and see what you notice.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby roadkill » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:07 pm

It's really a personal preference issue.

Many years ago you threw max weight for the extra stability especially in the wind. But with the plethora of fast stable and overstable discs available today the stability issue shouldn't be a reason to bump up to max weight.

I throw heavier putters (175g), but everything else is moderate to light. The majority of my discs are 168-170.

For all out distance I've had some success with very light drivers. I've had some pretty long tosses with a 144g beast and a 150g teebird. I wouldn't use these in a crosswind or a headwind but with a tailwind thrown high or with no wind they work well.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:43 pm

I don't know if you should strive for max weight, I think you should just throw the weight that feels the best for you. If you are flipping over that 165 valk move up a few grams but don't go overboard. I don't think you should have to strain to throw the disc how it should be thrown. If you can't get that 175 orc on a straight line for long back down to a lighter weight, if you still can't back down to a slower disc.

I know too many players who try to throw discs heavier than they can handle and because of that they always throw real hard off the tee. They lose so much control over their teeshots trying to get those overstable, heavy discs out there. You need to know your limitation on both weight and disc selection.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby NCSUphenom » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:52 pm

It's all about what you're comfortable with as mentioned before. Also, there are holes that suit lighter or heavier discs of the same type. ex. if you have a hole that turns left quickly then levels out, a lighter driver could take the turn then straighten out to glide, however, a heavier disc is much harder to shape a turn like that and have it continue straight.
Raleigh DG born Charlotte DG bred
NCSUphenom
Noob

Postby Weebl » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:06 pm

I can do that shot you just described with a flippy valk thrown with some nose up and hyzer, letting it hyzer a bit before flattening...

Back to topic, I cary various weights in drivers anything from a 164 Tsunami/Starfire-x to a 175 Valkyrie. Lighter gets more glide, and more distance. I am just as accurate with my 164 Tsunami than I am with any heavy driver I have. For midrange I go for near max weight 176-180 as I'm not too worried about distance with midranges, I want stable control. I like putter weights in 169~ maybe lighter, i need to experiment more...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:44 pm

max weight is over-rated.

most discs are actually over-weight now. discs that have very good designs generally do not vary much with weight changes.

disc weight on the distance side of things is a tradeoff of glide vs. momentum. heavier discs have more momentum, lighter discs have more glide.

it can be shown with physics that heavier discs release more uniformly, so they are a bit more consistent, but most players are not strong enough in the wrist/forearms/hands to throw max weight plastic.

imo, the ideal is to throw discs that fit your strength level unless you are going for maximum (over)stability (heavy disc). the heaviest you can throw but still move the disc around like there is nothing in your hand...
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:43 am

I throw heavier mids, but everythign else (including putters) is 166-172.
alot of "max weight" stuff is a bit heavier than its marked. I dont feel I lose predictability throwing lighter weights, that and although I can throw long, Im not super muscular, 168-172 is a bit nicer on my arms after a long day.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Solty » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:17 pm

i throw near max weight with my teebirds...however all of my other drivers in the bag are hi 160s/low 170s.... i noticed that with the heavier tbirds...i dont turn them over as much as i do with say a 165 tb. i think too that my heavier discs give me a lil more 'relieve' from the norm...if my mechanics start to get tired, the heavier disc is slightly more forgiving than a light disc. again, just my thoughts.

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:10 pm

When I first started playing, the rule was throw the lightest driver you could control. Now, I hear more of the, "you should be throwing max weight by now" philosophy.

So, who's right? I don't know, but I do not throw max weight.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:50 pm

As Blake said succinctly: Max weight is overated

I personally think throwing everything max weight is harder on your joints and will likely cause you to fatigue quicker.

I throw 175g putters only because I want to minimize the degree of lift that may occur while putting into a headwind.

Aside from the putter I'm usually throwing 168-170.

It comes down to what works for you and has nothing to do with your ability or progression as a disc golfer. Don't let anyone shame you into throwing anything that's not in your personal best interest.

The same goes for the stability of discs. It appears there's a perception that the more stable or overstable the discs you throw the more manly or accomplished you are. I say Bullpucky! Throw what's comfortable and effective for you.

I throw a lot of understable plastic, especially in the woods where I need to shape my shots. If you want to throw Z wasps, Drones and Champion Sharks, fine I'll throw my Stratus and beat XL because that's what works for me.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:56 pm

roadkill wrote:As Blake said succinctly:

The same goes for the stability of discs. It appears there's a perception that the more stable or overstable the discs you throw the more manly or accomplished you are. I say Bullpucky! Throw what's comfortable and effective for you.

I really have to agree with that.
I know guys that throw Z preds because they "throw really hard" sure they can throw a z pred 400', and then a Star Wraith 450', but I wont tell you which direction.
Alot of them throw really hard, but with bad form, so they need the more overstable discs to keep some predictability... Ive seen guys turn over an Extreame rhbh into a right>left crosswind... Then complain that their disc is too broken in...

I think im sticking to my stable/understable x avengers...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby AciDBatH666 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:13 pm

I just keep my highly overstable discs for certain shots that need a hard dive at the bottom. I wouldnt even try to rip my monsters or firebirds down a long straight path.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:05 am

something to keep in mind is that for players with extremely high snap, disc stability for "average players" goes out the window.

while this pertains to a very small number of players, a disc's true high speed stability will really shine through.

if you see someone throwing 480'+ golf d, there will only be a handful of discs that will fly true high speed stable, even when thrown with a clean throw free of off-axis torque.

it's interesting to watch someone flip over a flick from a 60 degree hyzer but then watch them throw a predator or teebird on the same line and have it fly stable.

this likely won't pertain to anyone here, but it's something to keep in mind.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Equipment