Movies

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Movies

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:55 am

not only am i a music snob, but i share the same snobbery/passion for film.

wondering if anyone shares the same tastes

favorite directors (any order):
frank capra
ang lee
lars von trier
akira kurosawa
wes anderson
noah baumbach
jean-pierre junaut
todd solondz
w.s. van dyke
martin scorcese

some of my favorite movies (any order):
breaking the waves
dancer in the dark
amelie
you can't take it with you
ghost world
the squid and the whale
the royal tenenbaums
romeo is bleeding
city of lost children
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead
yojimbo
happiness
the ice storm
crouching tiger, hidden dragon
kung fu hustle
the thin man
my man godfrey
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Re: Movies

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:13 pm

I own all of the following, except for the city of lost children which I've only rented.

amelie
ghost world
the royal tenenbaums
city of lost children
crouching tiger, hidden dragon

What do you think of the Kill Bill movies? One of my all time favorite movies is Tombstone though: you know us Texans, must have our westerns...

2nd all time favorite would be the first Dusk Til Dawn.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:50 pm

i'm not a huge fan of the kill bill movies. they were okay, but i always felt it was about 25 minutes of plot supplimented with about 220 minutes of violence (and not very artistic violence at that). was a throwback to the exploitation era of films... and i'm not sure if i consider that to be a good thing beyond the novelty factor. as for newer martial arts films done by american directors, i consider crouching tiger to be the pinnacle of that style. i have seen my fair share of martial arts films (many from the 70's) but i think i still prefer the samurai genre when it comes to asian violence as they generally have much better plots.

i'm not a big fan of tombstone as westerns that were supposed to be based on actual events never really sit well with me... i will say it was better than wyatt earp starring kevin costner. it was also nice to see dennis quaid playing himself :P
i would say out of modern western type films my favorite is probably the unforgiven.
Blake_T

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:57 pm

Unforgiven is good too; I have it. The kill bill movies I saw as parodies to martial art films, maybe I misunderstood them.

I grew up on asian films too because I suffer from insomnia and they used to be on at 2 or 3 in the morning.

I guess I relate more to westerns, but I'm probably a horse and amule away from being a cowboy.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:39 pm

the kill bill movies were more of an homage to martial arts exploitation movies of the 1970's.
it was a style/genre similar to blacksploitation movies of the 70's but done with asians, usually with fists flying at lightning speeds :P

martial arts parodies are generally more like kung fu hustle, riki-oh, kung pow, shaolin soccer, etc. which separate themselves from kung fu comedies such as the legend of drunken master.

ps. a cowboy is about what's inside... and a big f'n belt buckle.
Blake_T

Postby roadkill » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:33 am

The only movies I remember seeing from your list are the royal tennenbaums and hidden dragon crouching tiger. Which were both okay but didn't make my list. I guess I'm more of an action or comedy movie goer.

True Lies
Remember the Titans
Score
"Jack Ryan" triology
Field of Dreams
Indiana Jones triology
Payback
Fallen
Crimson Tide
There's something about Mary

I'll admit while they didn't make my list the kill bill movies were entertaining. As a rule Quentin Tarationo movies have a little too much senseless graphic violence for my taste. Violence is one thing but I don't care to see large pools of blood or body parts being severed every 5 minutes.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:39 am

i watch a lot of comedies, but they are usually funny in more of a futurama way than more obvious humor.
Blake_T

Postby roadkill » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:33 am

I just wanna list my favorite actors since who plays in a movie has a huge bearing on whether I spend the $8 to go see it.

Harrison Ford - Jack Ryan, Indiana Jones and Han Solo How can you not love this guy? Kinda liked him in 6 days, 7 nights too.

Denzel Washington Has played the lead role in many suspense movies and dramas. Remember the Titans was an incredible movie. The duel between him and Gene Hackman in Crimson tide was also fantastic. Antione Fisher and Training Day were pretty good also.

Robert Deniro This guy has put out an incredible amount of movies not all of them great but he has atleast 10 movies I'd highly reccomend with Untouchables being a classic.

Ah-nold Swarzeneger(sp?) I loved True Lies and T2. He was the laughing stock of the film industry in Conan the Barbarian. But he improved his acting skills tremendously and was one of the top (if not the top) paid actors in the 90's. The governator has done alright for himself.

Robert Redford He's been around forever and while I didn't put any of his movies in my list, I really liked The Natural. He also starred in a movie with Brad Pitt about 6-7 years ago that I really liked but for some reason the title eludes me. They were both spies for the CIA and RR coordinates Brad Pitts rescue all while being interrogated by the CIA brass. (It just came to me was called Spy Games)

Morgan Freeman Love this guy and his movies. Shawshank Redemption is a classic I've seen about ten times. His role as Alex Cross in several crime dramas was also riveting. Has such a distinctive voice that seems to exude wisdom and patience.

Other favorites: Sean Connery, Nicholas Cage, Gene Hackman, Tommy Lee Jones, Clint Eastwood, Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, Jack Nicholson, Samuel Jackson, Russel Crowe, Tom Hanks, Christopher Walken, Michael Douglas, Jet Li
Last edited by roadkill on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:57 pm

What about Sam Elliot! Talk about the ultimate man's man, and I don't mean in a Brokeback kinda way.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby adidadg » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:32 pm

i loved the Kill Bill movies (especially Volume 2), they have a simple but still very engaging story, really cool music and cinematography... i feel like I enjoyed them for reasons people dont usually enjoy movies for, which is a good thing by the way.

The last movie I saw was V for Vendetta which I also thought was Excellent.

as for actors, Ed Norton, Morgan Freeman, Tim Robbins are among my faves
adidadg

Postby Blake_T » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:18 am

favorite actors:

gary oldman
william powell
billy crudup
toshiro mifune
udo kier
tim roth
stellan skaarsgard
robert deniro
ernst-hugo jaregard
steve buscemi
ewan mcgregor
serge merlin
stephen chow

favorite actresses:

jean harlow
scarlet johansen
myrna loy
jean arthur
greta garbo
emily watson
patsy kensit
joan allen
christina ricci
kristin scott thomas
juliette binoche
naomi watts
patricia arquette
julie delpy
lena olin
jennifer connelly
megan ward
famke janssen
anna paquin
a bunch of actresses that did a couple of really great acting jobs before taking on crappy roles in big budget monstrosities and got all nasty anorexic.
Blake_T

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:01 pm

I didn't like V for Vendetta. The last movie I saw was something about a group of women exploring a cave and some man-critters attack them. Like rip off of the movie The Cave, but with chicks.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:21 pm

I'm a huge Wes Anderson fan. I think the royal tannenbaums would be my favorite.

I also love Christopher Guest movies, Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show.
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Rooster » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:30 pm

best movie ever:

the original 12 Angry Men.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bigs348 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:26 pm

I just recently found this cool site called dvdaficionado.com.

You can register for free and then add in your dvd collection to display. I have been looking for a good way of keeping track of my movies (like in college when people would borrow and not give back) and this is a good way to have a list all in one place.

You can search for titles, and it will display every dvd release of that title whether it's in print or not. There are categories like Owned, On Order, Wist List, Have Seen, etc.

Here's my dvd collection. I think I got all of them in there:

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=bigs348
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.