wow, what a deal!

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

wow, what a deal!

Postby jgarcia9102 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:52 pm

So once upon a time i was in florida and i decided to find the closest disc golf course, which happned to be half hr away in melbourne. first day i find the course i see this guy fishing discs out of the pond that the 18th hole crosses. well we ge to talking, and it tuns out he does this regularly, and sells all of the no named discs. i got to looking through his stash and for 10$ heres what i ended up buying....

1 - 174 Z Pred ( no stamp, very beat in, but the plastic is without scratches)
1 - 174 CH Orc (stamp just a bit faded, but otherwise no marks at all)
and heres the best part.....
1 - 174 CE Eagle (basically MINT. the stamp appears to be turning silver in some places, but other than that, the edges are still sharp from the mold...))

now i have a few questions. how does the CE Eagle run compare to the CH run today? if it helps, its yellow with a blue stamp. unfortunatly, ive been considering an eagle for a while, but now i dont have much of a place for it in my bag.

also, comparing the pred to my FB, it seems to have less overstability and more glide, but according to all the ratings ive seen the pred should cut more, not less. and my FB ive had for a full season now, so i know its broken in. im having trouble figuring out which i like better for a 'hurricane force' wind driver. any suggestions? ive only played one round with both, but the course didnt really call for them, so i cant decide yet.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:24 pm

the ce eagle stability and champ eagle stability depend so much on if it's an E or EL (they will not be marked as EL's, you'll have to feel the rim).

runs 1, 2, and 4 of CE were EL's, and sporatic numbers of champ eagles are EL's, with more recent batches making it as much as 50% of the newer ones.

CE EL's are imo, similar to light weight x avengers or more stable x xs's.

the CE E's are closer to dx banshees.

as for preds, broken in ones are quite straight.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:27 pm

you think thats a deal, think about fishing them out yourself ;-)

Thats a better deal than the guys I know who sells what they fish, 6$ champ z stuff, then a couple bucks for the rest.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Weebl » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:28 pm

The only CE Eagle I've thrown was 174g and red and it flew exactly like my Champion Teebird(172) but with a fade sooner than the Champ TB. Money for accurate distance in a headwind though, this eagle was slightly used as well. I think I'd like it in a lighter weight for flex shots. What weight is yours?
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:31 pm

that was likely an E.
Blake_T

Postby Weebl » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:36 pm

It almost reminded me of a Monster that can take some wind... it was mighty.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jgarcia9102 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:35 am

Well i said all weigh 174, but to be honest i could be 1-2g off. im pretty sure all are max weight but i dont have my bag with me.

right now i have quite a few drivers fighting for a position in my bag, and the eagle is one of them. It would have immediatly gone into the gap between my FB and XL had i not fallen in love with the Orc first. Now they are completely different discs, but they both would occupy the same place in the bag. While the E may be better for light headwinds, the Orc has gotten better distance for me so far.

heres my current drvers(all are max weight or close to it):

-CH Firebird
-Z Pred
-CE Eagle
-CH Orc
-Z XL
-CH Sidewinder

The sidewinder just kicked the Starfire out of the bag, and now i guess i dont really need to get rid of the eagle or orc, although both kinda currently occupy the moderate wind driver. i suppose my only real problem is Pred or FB. ill have to do some field testing...
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

CE eagles

Postby twmccoy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:14 pm

I have about 4 CE eagles and they fly good, way straighter and less fade than the current lousy champion model.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby jgarcia9102 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:24 am

So far im noticing the CE Eagle i have is quite a bit more overstable than the CH eagle i have thrown before. i find myself not really using it much yet, but i havent had much of a chance to try it out.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:36 pm

jgarcia,

i don't think the orc and the eagle should replace eachother. i think the orc is better for bigger arms getting distance when there's a lot of right to left to work with. the eagles are more for straight lines and consistency, but not as much distance. i like dx eagles a lot since they start out overstable and beat in to fly like faster seasoned rocs. i like them more than my 172g CE EL, plus if they get lost it's no big deal.
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:51 pm

About a year ago, I did some testing of a new champ firebird to a z predator. I found them pretty similar in stability. BUT, the predator yielded more distance for me.

I thought about carrying them both, the champ fb for the wind. I just couldn't justify carrying 2 discs so similar. Now that I've had my predator for a while, I wish I still had that fb to compare again.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:31 pm

Id say for real big arms the eagle would be more consistant than the orc, the orc gets afully flippy for alot of people.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby jgarcia9102 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:06 pm

the orc actually has been a great disc for me. i like the small S turn it does when i throw it just right.

im sure i will learn to throw it better later on, but the eagle isnt so straight for me. fades out quite a bit earlier than the champ i used to throw.

im loving the new sidewinder i picked up. threw my first sucsessfull BH hyzer flip today. also does wide s turns that stretch out my drives.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:57 pm

that eagle sounds definitely like an E mold.

they are substantially overstable but definitely different from an orc.
the champ eagles are basically a lot like teebirds with more fade and less carry.
Blake_T

Postby jgarcia9102 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:18 am

well i know i dont throw them in the same situations at all, but at first i was sortof bothered by 2 slightly overstable drivers. i can see now they are totally different. the eagle will be my slight wind driver while the orc is basically my D driver or for long wide fairways.

its kinda sad because i havent used my ZXL much since i got the Orc eagle and sidewinder into my bag. the sidewinder is now the go to disc for controllable straight drives or anything to the right. the orc is now the straight to left driver, and the eagle does much of my smaller hyzer shots. the XL has saved me so many times in all of those situations, i feel like i should use it more, but i just dont need to now. the only real use i think i will need to keep it for now is tunnel shots on the wooded courses.
jgarcia9102
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Equipment