________ will get you longer range.

Heavier disc
No votes
Better form
100%

Total votes : 11

Better form or heavier Discs?

Postby Mark56 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:04 pm

Hey I've been playing Disc Golf for about 2-3 days now with about 3-4 hours of practise time. I realize that is not a lot but the questions stands.

I have 2 discs. Both Innova. One is a Valkery and the other is a Cheetah. They cost about 9$ so I thought it would be good to start me off. Anyways after playing I average about 40-50 yards a toss so thats about 120-150 feet If I'm doin my math correctly. However I've noticed that when I am throwing higher to get more range they get controled by the wind. A more expierenced golfer told me that he usually plays with a lot heavier discs, however he isnt that knowledgeable of the sport so I thought I'd head to the community for this one.

Which will get me better range, better form or heavier discs?
Mark56
Noob

My guess

Postby rodman » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:47 pm

my guess is that when you throw a higher disc that it balloons off and to the left (if you are a right handed back hander) which means you didnt keep the nose down enough for the aerodynamics of the disc to extend your throw. As the nose points up to the sky the disc looses its flight characteristics and will usually fade left and die.

If you've ever seen someone throw a low burner with the nose properly pointed down/flat... then you'd know that you probably have the power to throw for more than 150 feet (i'm guessing) if you only had the proper form.

If you suspect this may be the case then you should check out the section of this site that discusses disc orientation and the grip to help you get that disc parallel to the ground and flying better/longer and more predictable for you. Good luck and welcome.
rodman
Noob

I see

Postby Mark56 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:15 pm

Yea that makes sense usually I try to keep it fairly low cause I did some background reading on it and stuff.

About how high should it be getting then? At a semi-constant height when its in a steady flow should it be like 5 feet off of the ground or like 10-15? I haven't seen many pro's play so I'm still a major begniner. Howver I am going out with some more expireneced players hopfully they can show me some stuff also. (By the way yea I try to keep the disc mostly parrallel with the ground by occasionally it curves the the left a lot haha).

When I hold it I don't use any of the grips on this site either. I throw Right handed Back throw (RHBT) and when I throw I have my thum on top while my pinky and ring finger are tucked in (not touching the frisbee) and my index and middle finger make a "V" shape on the bottom of the frisbee. I saw this on a site when reading some stuff and it felt comfortable enough. Has anyone seen/heard of a style like this? Thanks again.
Mark56
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:19 pm

i would worry first about being able to get the nose down consistently on low line drives ~6-10' off the ground at the highest point. the valkyrie will likely fly much farther on the low line than a cheetah.

from there, how high will depend on what kind of power you can generate. the less power you have, the lower you will need to keep it to prevent the disc from stalling out.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

thanks

Postby Mark56 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:15 pm

yea that makes sense thanks a lot.
Mark56
Noob

Return to General Discussion