Teebird question

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Jestyr » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:48 pm

I'd love some advice on this subject. This will be a fairly long post, as I will give as much info as a I can.

I just started (2 weeks and 5 rounds) and a friend gave me 2 Pro TeeBird L that he didn't like. One is 174 and the other is 169.

I went to practice tonight (for the first time) to work on some of the techniques I learned on this site and really liked the disc a lot.

I was throwing it very flat and consistently, compared to the other drivers I have. I was also throwing a very used DX TeeBird well (weight unknown).

The other drivers I have are 160 DX Eagle, 161 DX Valk, 171 #1 Driver & a 148 DX Archangel. I do not like the AA at all... it just keeps going right on me! I did try 2 hyser shots at the end with it, and when keeping it really low it managed to stay straight, but that seems like poor technique (is it)?

The two Pro TeeBird L seem like they are warped. At first I thought it might have been my eyes playing tricks, but I confirmed it this way: all my DX discs rest flat on one another, the two Pro discs do not. There are small gaps in them.

Sooo... after that really long description, I really like the way the TeeBird L flew for me and really prefered the way the Pro plastic felt (it seemed more flexible and grippy). Should I just use the warped versions, get new Pro versions or get new Star versions. Should I consider the regular TeeBird? If so, in what plastic? Also, I know lower weights are better for beginners like me, but one of the closest courses to me is VERY windy. 15/20 MPH is not uncommon.

Finally, given that the course is so windy, should I consider a different driver for really windy conditions? If so, what and what plastic?

Thanks in advance.

(Wow, that was a really long first post!)

-Jeff
Jestyr
Noob

Your discs

Postby rodman » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:38 pm

I've been playing for a couple of months now but have read everything on the net there is to read and have played 3 or 4 times a week including practice since I started. I'll share my thoughts with you and hopefully Blake or someone more experienced will also weigh in and validate or corect my advice.

The Tee Bird L is a great driver for you to begin with since it's somewhat straight. I have 2 of them. If they are flying straight with a slight fade in the last 20 feet of it's flight then it's flying like it should even though you think it may be warped. The other Tee bird wont be quite as straight but it is a great disc. I dont think it glides as much either. Other discs to consider as a beginner are the Leopard (blake may disagree) for mid/long shots... but may overlap with the tee bird L. Also a roc and a nice putter (aviar or wizard).

Regarding the Tee Bird L: again, if you like the ones you have and they're flying nicely for you then KEEP till you loose them. Consider the Star TL which is the star version of the Teebird L. I got a Tye Dye one and besides looking cool it really performs both side arm and backhand. Try chucking that Tee Bird L side arm like you're skipping a rock. and see how it flys for you. You'll be suprised especially if you have ever played baseball... it may come more naturally.

I dont know bout the wind driver... leaving that to others... i think i read that the firebird is a good wind choice. I dont have one. That Valkyrie might be a nice longer distance driver for you but if you cant seem to control that one at first then consider purchasing one of the following drivers for control with added distance over the Tee BIrd L. (but rarely more control).

The Road Runner is a great straightish driver that adds distance. The sabre also is nice but it isnt that much longer than the L. The sidewinder is another nice one to consider.

Welcome to this great sport.
rodman
Noob

Forgot to mention

Postby rodman » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:41 pm

Forgot to mention, if you do try throwing sidearm then check out the technique article on sidearm. It gives a great description of the form you should employ. Not trying to convince you to be a sidearmer .... just rambling i guess.
rodman
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:37 pm

do not like the AA at all... it just keeps going right on me! I did try 2 hyser shots at the end with it, and when keeping it really low it managed to stay straight, but that seems like poor technique (is it)?

flipping up a disc from a hyzer is fine technique, and the one i recommend most. i do not recommend the archangel though, as it is way too unpredictable.

The two Pro TeeBird L seem like they are warped. At first I thought it might have been my eyes playing tricks, but I confirmed it this way: all my DX discs rest flat on one another, the two Pro discs do not. There are small gaps in them.

do they still fly well? warping is only really an issue if it makes discs horribly understable (even then they have uses as turnover discs and rollers).

Sooo... after that really long description, I really like the way the TeeBird L flew for me and really prefered the way the Pro plastic felt (it seemed more flexible and grippy). Should I just use the warped versions, get new Pro versions or get new Star versions. Should I consider the regular TeeBird? If so, in what plastic? Also, I know lower weights are better for beginners like me, but one of the closest courses to me is VERY windy. 15/20 MPH is not uncommon.

my advice is to get used to the discs you have already and see what is "missing" from the shots you need. the best players could throw under par with a pringles can lid. the way you throw things is always way more important than what you are throwing.

Finally, given that the course is so windy, should I consider a different driver for really windy conditions? If so, what and what plastic?

i would definitely suggest picking up 1 dedicated wind/overstable disc and know that it will probably fade hard left most of the time and fly somewhat straight into strong headwinds. i wouldn't worry too much on the exact model, you are in the stage where finding a bargain is probably more useful than finding a particular disc as chances are you will have different needs in the long run.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:46 pm

btw, if you are looking to build the most solid all around long run game, i would recommend starting with a slower overstable driver that you can really learn the flight characteristics of and control.

by the time it is broken in, you will likely have some desires that may or not have been met by the first one and that will help dictate future purchases.

stuff that fits the bill:
x x-clone
x xtra
x reaper
x talon
dx banshee
dx firebird
pro firebird
dx viper
exp1
Blake_T

Postby Jestyr » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:26 am

That Valkyrie might be a nice longer distance driver for you but if you cant seem to control that one at first then consider purchasing one of the following drivers for control with added distance over the Tee BIrd L. (but rarely more control).

The Road Runner is a great straightish driver that adds distance. The sabre also is nice but it isnt that much longer than the L. The sidewinder is another nice one to consider.

I have a valkyrie, but I seem to like how predictable the TeeBird L was comparitively. I prefered the Eagle to the Valk as well. That said, my very logest throws were with the Valk, but I really liked how the TeeBirds would go straight for a while and then fade at the end. I actually grouped 5 discs the same most times (within around 15' of each other), including the valk, but it just took a weirder way to get there.

I'll look into the RR and the Sidewinder. Btw, I have a Roc and 5 Aviar P&A (bought the extra 4 for practice). I also got a Shark, but I like the Roc more.

Forgot to mention, if you do try throwing sidearm then check out the technique article on sidearm. It gives a great description of the form you should employ. Not trying to convince you to be a sidearmer .... just rambling i guess.

I do throw sidearm and I did check out the technique article on it (as well as others on the web). I use the power 2 finger grip (as opposed to my friend who splays his fingers). That said, I only use a sidearm when I want the disc to curve/fade right. I have not worked on that throw much, but I am pretty consistent with it -- my biggest problem is that I do release in an anhyser release sometimes which makes the disc curve left, defeating the purpose of the throw!

btw, if you are looking to build the most solid all around long run game, i would recommend starting with a slower overstable driver that you can really learn the flight characteristics of and control.

Now I am a tad confused. Should I be using it instead of the TeeBird L (or eagle, or valk, or whatever).

Most of the discs on your list seem to be what the manufactuers and reviews say are really bad for beginners.
Jestyr
Noob

Keep the Tee

Postby rodman » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:34 am

I was a bit confused with Blake's post. I think his list may be in reference to your WIND question.

I think you hold onto your Tee Bird L and use it as your "workhorse" driver and add a wind disc that you can begin to practice and learn. They are probably tougher to throw but after considerable practice and breaking the disc in... you'll warm up to one of them. Funny how proper form and practice helps you warm up to the more difficult discs.

But again, I defer to Blake 100%. If he gives you an opinion then it's bound to be reasonable and based on considerable experience and expertise as well as his own opinion. He wont lead you astray.
rodman
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:56 am

i was referring to headwind drivers.

the valk is symbolic of most distance discs. lost accuracy/predictability for more d. if you find the valk unpredictable, the roadrunner and sidewinder will be more unpredictable.
Blake_T

Postby rodman » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:58 am

I figured that was what you were referring to. So you think the RR and the sidewinder are less predictable than the Valk? I guess that I've not given my Valkyrie enough of a chance then because i find it much less predictable and the results... compared to the other 2 mentioned... is far less desireable.
rodman
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:18 pm

predictability = 3 things:

1) will it flip at high speeds?
2) if it does flip, how far will it turn?
3) does it always fade?

valkyrie
1) yes
2) moderate
3) yes, if given ~15' of height or more.

roadrunner
1) yes
2) lots
3) no

sidewinder
1) yes
2) sometimes a ton, sometimes barely
3) maybe, depends on #2, so answer is no.

i'm not saying the valk is a hallmark of predictability, but i am saying it is more predictable than a roadrunner or sidewinder.

the reason you will find very few players with 400' of power throwing those discs as straight drivers is because they will flip a lot with that kind of power on em.

however, i would say the valk still behaves like most golf discs and it is much more conducive to developing an array of shots and increasing power than the other two.
Blake_T

Postby MrTasses » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:51 am

As someone that is finally starting to come out of the 'beginner' stage, I owe a lot to the advice Blake is giving you. You'll hear that same advice from a lot of other's as well, and it's very good stuff. Pick a stable driver (those TLs and that DX Tbird are great choices.) And throw those discs until they are too beaten to be reliable. When they start to get a little understable with wear, you'll be forced to learn a hyzer-flip to keep them straight. It will make you a better player faster than you would expect.
MrTasses
Tree Magnet

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:28 pm

This morning at the park, I bought a used 10 x kc pro teebird for $4. A guy in my group later saw it and offered me $20 for it. I haven't thrown it yet, but considering I throw a lot of teebirds, I may want to. What's the scoop on this disc and why would someone offer me $20 to buy it?
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:16 pm

because they are old and out of production.

they really didn't fly differently to regular dx teebirds but were slightly more durable.

i would tell him $25, take the cash and buy 3 dx ones :P
Blake_T

Postby the invisible tree » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:00 pm

Blake_T wrote:because they are old and out of production.

they really didn't fly differently to regular dx teebirds but were slightly more durable.

i would tell him $25, take the cash and buy 3 dx ones :P

Or get 5 x out dx teebirds from Blake's shop. I got the dumbest (in a great way) stamped disc that I've ever seen from them. It's a mis-stamped disc that says "Mt. Bachelor". I'm saving that bad boy for when I start playing tournaments.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby lacrimosa » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:45 pm

the invisible tree wrote:Or get 5 x out dx teebirds from Blake's shop. I got the dumbest (in a great way) stamped disc that I've ever seen from them. It's a mis-stamped disc that says "Mt. Bachelor". I'm saving that bad boy for when I start playing tournaments.

hahaha, I also got a 'bachelor' mis-stamp from gggt. pretty entertaining :wink:
lacrimosa
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment