PDGA Pro Bag vs. Revolution Club Bag

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

PDGA Pro Bag vs. Revolution Club Bag

Postby Aaron_D » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:19 pm

Just wondering if anyone has used both and has anything to warn / advise regarding these two bags. I am also getting quad shocks from which ever company I end up buying the bag from. Ideally I would like to carry 18+ discs and I see the REVO bag only carries 14...but can it actually hold more if you need it to? Is the lack of a bag frame a big deal with the PDGA bag? Comments and advice would be much appreciated.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Aaron_D » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:25 pm

looks like i would have to stretch into the 80 dollar range for 24 discs...in that range, what are the best bags?
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:30 pm

no disc bag has designated compartments for 24 discs.

the largest two on the market are the gateway tour and santa cruz bag (which i believe is discontinued).

the revo bag will definitely hold up better than the pdga, but is more expensive.

with any of the overseas made bags (lighthning, innova, pdga), if you carry more discs than the specified compartments really allot for, you will basically kill the seams. e.g. the pdga bag will hold like 15 discs in the accordian divider, which is fine, but it will hold 20+ in the same compartment with the divider removed.. however, carrying 20+ discs will rip out the seams.

both the revolution bag and gateway bags will hold 3-5 discs in each end pocket.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:31 pm

btw, 24 discs is way too many. if you need that many, i suggest building a cart.
Blake_T

Postby Aaron_D » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:49 pm

well it's 24 discs, but only 5 molds: wizard / roc / teebird / valk / firebird /

I like to carry multiples of my teebirds and wizards to practice.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:55 pm

good setup, but man, that is a lot of discs hehe.

i usually keep my practice discs in a bin in the trunk to save my back.

something to keep in mind is that any of the end pocket bags should really have the end pockets stay zipped or the seams will get strained.
Blake_T

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:57 pm

I couldn't do 31 holes in the summer with that many discs. Any way you can cut it to like 15 for your back's sake?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby adidadg » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:31 pm

the PDGA bag has very heavy duty fabric and zippers, mine looks like it will last a long time (it already has)

Also, I have seen the Revolution frame added to a PDGA bag if you dont like the dividers, so you could go that route.
adidadg

Postby Woodchuck » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:19 pm

i know its more expensive but if you ar ereally going to use that many discs try looking at the new Revolution Backpack. It would probably hold that many if you used the top and bottom compartments. I agree though 24 discs is pretty extreme.
Woodchuck
Noob

Postby Aaron_D » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:15 pm

Ha ha ha! you guys are crazy! When I go out to the park I like to be able to play the same hole with the same molds at least 2 or 3 times...I live in FL and I actually feel like I get more disc golf per calorie burned out in the insane heat and humidity with this method.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby Blake_T » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:59 pm

i generally prefer to throw different molds on totally different lines when i play the same hole with multiple discs.

i've always felt that trying to do the same thing over and over was more practicing a particular shot than practicing throwing in general.

there's a lot of lines people leave unexplored with their discs...
Blake_T

Postby krusen » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:53 am

I could use some advice in buying a new bag also.

I currently have a lighting starter bag.
I'm fairly satisfied with it as I only carry 12 discs, but could use some more room for tournament play to carry energy bars, extra water, rain jacket, etc...
My bag is also starting to rip a little since it's really only designed for 8-10 discs.

I would prefer not to mess with quad shocks, so I'm looking for something that's not real heavy and plan to carry 15 discs at most.

Any suggestions on a mid size bag?
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby Blake_T » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:41 am

if you require large end pockets for storage, there isn't a lot of freedom in terms of lighter bags.

there's a ton of bags that will carry ~15 discs, but half of them only have storage space that will only really fit keys/wallet/cel phone/etc and the other half will carry an XL Pizza.

the discraft elite pro bag only has 1 large end pocket (instead of 2 like the most tour bags), so that may be a best bet as to what you are seeking sizewise.

keep in mind discs and drinks are the heaviest things you can carry. 5 discs ~= 2 lbs.

the lightning medium bag (old name was the cube bag) will fit ~12-13 discs pretty easily and is probably the least bulky. the material on this bag is better than the material on their starter bags.

other bags in the compact range:
lightning large lite
lightning large
innova deluxe
discraft tournament
gateway weekend deluxe
Blake_T

bags

Postby jiwaburst » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:17 pm

I still have never purchased a bag, eventually I might, but I haven't had the need yet.

What I use is a giveaway (from a conference) computer bag. It has the front pocket for phone, ibuprofin, keys, chew, etc... It lets me stick 18 discs in easy and has none of the bulk that a bag that big has. The discs of course just all run together like they would in a duffle bag, but when I'm done playing I take the discs out and restack them in my travelling box anyway.

The problem is that if it's really muddy then I have to be careful about wiping before putting a disc back. Also there isn't a seperate slot for my water bottle/beverages so I just have to stuff it in there. But I'm blown away by how much stuff fits in one of these things, and the lack of a frame means it rests more comfortably on my back/shoulder while walking.

Also it's kind of cool in an anti-hip way to look clueless yet outplay people.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby Aaron_D » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:42 pm

just got the PDGA pro bag and it is very nice.
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Next

Return to Equipment