Overstable

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Overstable

Postby cschwab » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:07 pm

I have been using a firebird for all my over stable needs (wind, spike hyzers, general get out of trouble shots) and have talked to people who say they prefer either a monster or predator for these shots more than the firebird. I'm curious in the differences in flight between these 3 discs and if they are significant enough for it to be worth getting one of each and seeing which I like best.

Thanks
cschwab
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:43 pm

they are slightly different discs.

the firebird is most high speed stable, but the shortest flyer of the bunch.

the predator is the longest of the bunch and still very overstable in z plastic.

the monster is kind of in between in terms of distance and stability.

i would just pick one and go with it. im a big pred fan so that is my recommendation, but honestly it doesn't really matter.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby cschwab » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:03 am

Thanks, that was kind of what I was expecting to hear. If I get a chance I may pick up a z predator just to compair.
cschwab
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:55 pm

I found the predator much like the firebird but longer. I wish I could retest to see if I notice extra stability from the FB, but I didn't before.

I like monsters, but be aware that it is the shortest of the three. Many call it a midrange. I actually got a demon when I lost my monster.

My progression on these was xtreme, monster, and now a demon. All of them are shorter than the fb and pred (with the demon being the shortest).
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:14 pm

Monsters are longer for me than firebirds, but less consistant and comfortable (theyre easier to get nose up because theyre faster)

I agree preds are nearly as overstable as firebirds, but they arent quite. Its really hard (unless youre trying) to turn them into a very very strong headwind, while predators will almost hold a decent driver line into a very strong headwind.

I like the pred more.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Overstable

Postby trogdor » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:33 pm

The Z-Pred is the Discraft representative in my bag.

Just to throw one more out there, I got a chance to throw a T-Rex (only about 6 throws) and it is somewhere between the Firebird and Monster in overstability.

:roll: Not my favorite, but it was fun to try this disc.
trogdor
Tree Magnet

flick

Postby twmccoy » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:22 pm

The flick is my go-to overstable disc unless the wind is howling. It flies dead straight with a big predictable fade at the end. Heavy wind will cause this disc to get flippy and inconsistent. I can push my flick out to 400' if necessary.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue May 09, 2006 8:54 am

I'm having fun throwing the tee rex, but I suspect I don't have the speed to throw it. All I can make it do so far is hyzer hard. I need to work on turning it more I guess.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Wed May 10, 2006 7:42 am

I'm thinking of getting a flick for this spot... the more I throw it the more I want to buy one for myself...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BAM » Wed May 10, 2006 10:05 am

Don't mean to go too much off topic, but distance wise, how do the Firebird and Monster compare to the Viper, Whippet and Banshee?
BAM
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed May 10, 2006 10:37 am

depends on power. and also depends on what line. None of those discs are ment to be a main distance driver (viper used to).
If you dont have the power to throw a firebird or monster they will fly much like a lawn dart.

If youre looking to move up from a whippet or viper for go to overstable, try a banshee, or just go straight for the firebird. (most people dont have the power to really use a monster, that and if they do, firebirds are more overstable so the birds tend to be used there too)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Return to Equipment