Best into the WIND?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Best into the WIND?

Postby Chains » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:39 am

I was thinking Firebird, or Valk, but I'm open for suggestions. I don't know much about the discs from Millenium, Discraft, Gateway, or lightning.

FYI Drivers I currently have:
* CE Teebird 169 ish
* DX Cheetah 150class
* Xpress UV 169 ish

Also: What is the best starting weight for a headwind?
Chains
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:50 am

weight is less important than the mold. but sometimes you can avoid changing molds by stepping up in weight. generally when i step up a mold i stay in the mid range weights (what i usually drive with) because i want decent carry. heavier = more overstable, so...

best into the wind is also subjective :) not sure if you mean longest flying into the wind or "this disc will not turn ever if thrown into the wind."

from my experiences, longest flying into the wind. these will turn into say... 70 mph headwinds or if you torque them over:
z crush
x predator
x talon
x reaper
h spirit
dx firebird
pro firebird

decent D with more stability than above:
champ firebird
champ monster
z talon
x xtra
x x-clone
z reaper
exp1

"this disc is always coming back but also isn't going very far":
z predator
z xtreme
z xtra
e speed demon
s spirit
champ eagle
champ banshee

imo, discraft makes better overstable stuff than anyone else.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Calle_SWE » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:27 pm

Whippet is an excellent headwind driver
oj
Calle_SWE
Noob

A

Postby DiscinDeadHead » Mon May 16, 2005 11:00 pm

Calle_SWE wrote:Whippet is an excellent headwind driver

Whippets are a joke! If you want an overstable disc, go with either a Spirit or a Crush...Spirits are faster though, which is a HUGE advantage in the wind...it get farther out before the wind messes with it...which still isn't much, b/c Spirits are still kinda beefy...which become pretty straight into a strong headwind! Bottom line...Whippets=Junk....get a Spirit!!!
Chris Boro
~Team GDS~
DiscinDeadHead
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue May 17, 2005 3:49 am

actually, i still like whippets... and vipers.

they are nice and slow and a lot more accurate and predictable than most discs coming out nowadays imo. discs that are overstable by design are a rare breed nowadays compared to discs that are overstable because they are fast (the spirit and speed demon are some of the rare exceptions but they are lawn darts if you don't have the arm to throw them).

discs like the whippet, viper, x-clone, etc. do lack D of the faster penetrating discs, but imo, it's more of a skill to be able to read/play the wind than to simply carve through it. i didn't mention a lot of these types in my earlier post as the general trend in recent years is for players to sacrfice tons of predictability and accuracy for an extra 20' :P
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

A

Postby DiscinDeadHead » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:26 pm

I used to have a Viper for a while that was pretty cool. If you are going to be going with Innova, try the Viper...but I still say Spirit! :D
Chris Boro
~Team GDS~
DiscinDeadHead
Noob

Postby alerik » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:04 am

I like to throw a 170 C. Banshee or a 170 Elite Z Flick.

I too carry a Whippet and throw it often.
If I can't beat you now, I will practice until I can.
alerik
Noob

Postby Supermau » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:29 am

I've found my Pro and CFR Wraiths (174) to be both long and fairly accurate in any wind. The heavier the better on the plastic.
Supermau
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:43 pm

Supermau wrote:I've found my Pro and CFR Wraiths (174) to be both long and fairly accurate in any wind. The heavier the better on the plastic.

My 171 pro wraith is good into the wind. The other disc I didn't see mentioned was the z avenger, but my go to disc into the wind is my predator.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:27 pm

i know this is a dying topic, but my opinion has recently changed.
I have about 450' of power, so crushes and similar are not overstable enough for major headwinds.
I used to swear by a Champ Firebird. It would turn some, but would hold its own better than anything I would throw.
I had thrown z predators before, but had no luck. Last week I lost my firebird and had a match planned out for today (its been windy lately) so i really needed something that would hold in a head wind, with predictability. Well about 3 days ago i got to a store that has a pretty limited selection in discs, but they had them.
long story short i got a Z predator.
overall the predator was...

more predictable
further flying
got a bit less lift
and over all it just felt better, and gave me confidence in the wind.

the only downside ive found is its not as great for trick shots such as thumbers and flex shots.

by the way i agree with blake that the dx viper is of the best mid/fairway overstable headwind discs.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Fritz » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:14 pm

We get a lot of wind in Colorado, I've always had great success using a Pro Firebird, 174g, Champ Monster 174g when the wind is extremely fast (50+ mph) which does happen at a few courses. The X-Talon 170g seemed to work pretty good as well, in my experience.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Pagan » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:05 pm

Blake_T wrote:imo, discraft makes better overstable stuff than anyone else.

Amen!

I find myself reaching for my Predator, or Crush when the winds get hard and hitting me in the face. When the wind is at my back I reach for the Xs or Spectra.

Pagan
Wizard, Roc, Teebird, Wraith
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Addicted since October of '05
Pagan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby distantdg » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:22 pm

my z talon has been money into the wind lately...even pulled through with an ace yesterday into 30 mph winds!
distantdg
Noob

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:30 am

I have used and liked: Monster, Firebird, Crush, Flick.

I use now and like the most: 175g E Spirit, this thing laughs at the wind.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

wind discs

Postby trogdor » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:19 pm

Lots of wind: Predator, Whippet are great
Some wind (<15 mph): I'll add a champ Tee-Bird

Also, if it is very strong wind coming from between 1:30 and 4:00, I'll throw a flippy driver RHBH. The trick is get the disc to flip and stay flipped letting it fight the wind the whole way. You sacrafice some distance this way, but add some accuracy in a tough situation.

I think the wind is what keeps my bag at more than 10 discs. In calm situations, I'd probably feel perfectly happy with 1 Wraith, 2 Teebirds, 1 Cobra, 1 Rhyno (for throwing) and 1 Arrow (for putting)
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Equipment