Types of Disc Plastic?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Types of Disc Plastic?

Postby Mark56 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:05 pm

I am new to disc golf. Earlier today I played with some of the more expirenced players from my highschool. They were really launchin their disks. I on the otherhand, struggled, which is fine. However they told me I would never be able to throw as far as them with the discs I have (Vaylkrie & Cheetah). They hold me I had bad versions/plastic of them. They said that I should buy Champion edition discs for better range ect.

As I was looking on Innova's website however, There were many types of discs and it confused me. There were the regular discs like I had, the Pro, Champion, and Star. Could anyone explain to me the differences in these versions, shall I call them. Thanks.
Mark56
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:22 pm

DX (probably what you have) is by far the best plastic for beginners. The champion plastic is accualy the shortest plastic. However, champion plastic makes discs more stable, or overstable, meaning they cover tecnique flaws.

Keep throwing what you have, cheetas are alright beginner drivers, so are leapords.

If they are bugging you to get champ plastic, remind them that a DX Valkarye is the world record distance disc. and that (blake not sure about this one) but champ and z plastics have only broken the 600' barrier a couple times?

Mark, the best advice you will find will be on this forum, the articles on discgolfreview, and your local pros. The kids at your high school may be able to throw further than you, but that dosnt mean they know the best way or discs for you to throw. Keep up with stuff here and love the game, and you will probably be surpassing them in short time.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

plastic

Postby distantdg » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:24 pm

those guys are wrong, you should not be aiming at the champion plastic until you have decent form otherwise you could hurt your technique, and then have more problems later on trying to fix what you did wrong early on. As for the champion plastic flying the longest is also not true. The dx line for innova would be the farthest flying plastic. Im sure Blake T. will chime in with better information for you, but good luck and welcome.
distantdg
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:25 pm

* and to answer your question about plastics, in short

longest to shortest

dx
pro
star
champ

the differences in plastics is the champ and star are more durable than pro and dx.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/plastics.shtml

thats a good place to start, and you should really read: http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/tips.shtml
its very worth the read
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

ty

Postby Mark56 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:25 pm

thanks I read those articles they were pretty good and i appreciate the feedback
Mark56
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:11 am

it's a common myth that champion plastic flies farther than dx.

usually, it is often a misunderstanding.

nowadays, most players still start with dx/d plastic and throw it for their first few weeks/months before buying into the idea that durability > all.

basically, if you throw dx plastic for your first 3 months of dg, and champ plastic for the next 3 months of dg, chances are you will throw champ plastic farther than you were throwing dx. the reason is not that champ plastic flies farther, but that you throw farther during month 6 than during month 1, regardless of the plastic.

only 1 of the 25 longest official throws of all time was performed with any type of champ/z plastic, and i can only think of a few instances where champ/z plastic actually flies farther than a lower grade of plastic.

the z crush flies farther than the d crush because the d is way more overstable (the x crush is the longest). the 2001 ce roc flies farther than dx since it was overstable enough to consistently torque over and s-curve. beyond those two... i can't think of any other discs offhand aside from the early run ce TL's flew similar d to the se TL's.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:31 am

Blake_T wrote: (the x crush is the longest).

With that said, I have had a brand new X Crush waiting to be traded or sold!
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:05 am

When I was answering some people as to why I carried DX discs, they got quite offended and condescending towards me, muttering how I don't know shit. I'll let the scores dothe talking :P Just giving a headsup towards others who didn't know there are some seriously unhappy people in the DG world who are ornary.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue May 02, 2006 8:38 am

Actually, I always have liked the lower end plastic, but I was going through it too quickly. I think the x / pro is a nice compromise.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to General Discussion