Signature holes.

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Signature holes.

Postby discbones » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:15 pm

Stick golf has their's, how about disc golf. What are some of the coolest holes in disc golf? Courses for that matter. Pics would be cool.
discbones
Noob

Postby J-Man » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:48 pm

#15 Pier Park's "Dream Catcher" Half way down the fairway, about 100 feet up hangs a handmade Dream catcher - when they weather it is replaced; no one knows who does it. All 18 pads are now concrete.
Here's the link to the on-line course tour, enjoy.
http://www.bullseyediscgolf.com/or-courses/pier-park/pier-park.html
Team Oregon Ambassador@Large
J-Man
1000 Rated Poster

Postby esip » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:36 pm

that hole looks mean....and the dreamcatcher thing is a little creepy
esip
Noob

Postby RustyP » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:41 am

Circle R Ranch (Wimberly, TX) - Rolling Meadow course - Hole 7

I don't know if you wcould call this THE signature hole for the course (as there are a lot of great holes), but it's definitely one that stands out in my mind when I think about Circle R. It's a pretty short anhyzer shot that you could make with a putter, but the water definitely makes it a little intimidating.

I took this pic from someone's Myspace...last time I played it the water was noticeably higher....tried a forehand with a Rhyno and dumped it right into the waterfall :x

in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby matchu » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:58 am

i love to throw a thumber on that hole for the duece and then a quick swim
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fritz » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:27 am

ooooooo I love this post. Can't wait to get home and post up some pics :)
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Desafinado » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:21 pm

I'll have to make several posts for all of the signature holes here in Northern California, but I'll start with the best of them first(imho):

Delaveaga Park, Santa Cruz, CA - Hole #27 - "Top of the World"

580 feet away, something like a 100 foot drop. It's hard to pick out the basket from this photo, but if you see the eroded away area on the grass far below where this shot was taken, the basket is in the circular portion that's up and left from the path-looking erosion.

Beyond the basket and to the left is the entrance road to the park, and road and beyond is OB. You'd think that because it's more than 600 feet away it wouldn't come into play, but I have thrown OB with a Roc on more than one occasion, and the parking lot is just beyond the road. When you're getting out of your car, it's important to keep an ear out for a distant shout of 'PAARKKIIINGG LOOOTTTT!'

The view from the tee box is amazing- the course is only a few miles from the Pacific, and there are huge coastal redwoods all around. Truly spectacular.

Desafinado
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby niblick83 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:27 pm

Golden Hills Disc Golf Course in Christiansburg, VA is my home course and at least in my opinion hole number 3 would probably be the most memorable hole visually. The hole is roughly 160-175 feet long and drops 62 feet over that distance. While the hole is fairly easy to birdie, especially with a thumber, it can become quite an adventure if you go for the ace run with a backhand shot and leave it a little high as the terrain continues to drop beyond the basket. I've seen people throw a good 100 or more feet past the basket if they throw the shot a little hard and not at a downward angle. Aces, birdies, pars, bogeys and occasionally worse all make an appearance at this hole.

niblick83
Tree Magnet

Postby J-Man » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:24 pm

That's sweet
J-Man
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Gumbo » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:52 pm

The Quarry in Sheboygan, WI. #7.

View from the pro tee. 346'

From the crest of the hill.

From the bottom of the hill. That narrow bike trail leads right to the pin if you can't see it.

The elevation drop is about 35' down at about a 70 degree incline. When the green fills in you have about a 6' window down the hill. No O.B. but if you go off the fairway anywhere, good luck finding your disc. I've never seen a birdie here.
Gumbo
Noob

Postby Will Aubrey » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:16 am

Sanders Ferry, 14 I think. 330 Feet to the basket.

Will Aubrey
Tree Magnet

Postby DELETED » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:40 am

DELETED
DELETED

Postby Eric O » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:38 pm

Good pick J-Man. I always considered 15 at Pier kind of the signature hole for the course.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby J-Man » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:04 pm

It's the one where when I first saw it (on-line) I called a buddy and said, "We gotta play this course today, now!" And now with cement pads, sweet.
J-Man
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:38 pm

Before I understood elevation shots I threw a Champ Viking off of 'Top of the World' at DeLa. Wound up a couple of hundred feet past the basket!
Now a Wasp does the trick.
GREAT hole!!!!!
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Next

Return to Courses