Grip Questions

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Grip Questions

Postby daniebl2 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:05 pm

I'm working on improving my grip and wanted to get some expert input....I've read all articles on grip posted here, Innova's site and even Mr. Climo's. My questions are many....

1) Does it matter what type of throwing style (bent elbow vs. full reach back) in terms of pressure points? I've seen articles stating that the main focus should be into the palm of the hand along the crease at the hit and others state that the focus is between the index finger and thumb pad. I’m trying to throw bent elbow, and my thinking is that it’s better to focus on the pinch between the index and thumb pad. This would help with getting some acceleration on the disc pivot.


2) The thumb pad pressure can be directed….does it matter which direction? By this I mean it can be pushed with the pivot of the disc (like snapping your fingers) or against the pivot.
3) Also, how much downward thumb pad pressure does everyone use and is it directed? Forward or backwards if the thumb nail is pointed straight up in front of you. In the past, I did little more than rest my thumb on top of the disc.
4) Is there a grip that is better suited for smaller hands? Especially in trying to get and keep the nose down. (I’ve tried the boneapane; I’m not a big fan)
daniebl2
Noob
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Aurora IL

Postby Timko » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:21 pm

I have smaller hands (and skinny fingers), and I like a lot of fan/fork/birdie grips. I do not like to have more than 3 fingers on the disc at any one time (and almost always throw with my ring finger stacked on my pinky).


I would love to hear some peoples ideas on thumb pressure, both in the direction and the strength. I'm not sure, but it seems like rolling the thumb would flip the wing, making it easier to throw a hyzer-flip. But that's just a total guess. I'll try and mess around with it after league tomorrow night.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth
User avatar
 
Posts: 7708
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: KCMO

Postby masterbeato » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:43 pm

Grip determines the potential power you can generate from the throw. I have big hands, so naturally I have a strong grip, but I still grip it nice and tight for me. I use the power grip and the fan grip for touch. Pressure points I dont think really matters in a case of bent elbow or reach back. Grip it tight and rip it. Focus the pressure between your thumb and your index finger. Other fingers are there for support.
masterbeato
lol Z predator
 
Posts: 1907
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:37 am
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby mcoppel » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:56 am

I have been working on the bonepane for the past 6 weeks. For the first two weeks I was in field only, every day throwing 2-3 hundred at a time. Distance suffered, but I would notice really nice lines, although they were off a lot. Week 3-4 I started getting deadly accurate, ad now I have been working on more power.

This grip is awesome, but takes time to get use to. I am now throwing 30-50 feet further and on better more accurate lines. I know I still have the potential for more distance, but I am building up slowly.

Also in the midst of the grip changes I started using the hop x step, instead of the full reach back x-step.
mcoppel
Noob
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:49 am

Postby JR » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:42 am

mcoppel wrote:I have been working on the bonepane for the past 6 weeks. For the first two weeks I was in field only, every day throwing 2-3 hundred at a time. Distance suffered, but I would notice really nice lines, although they were off a lot. Week 3-4 I started getting deadly accurate, ad now I have been working on more power.

This grip is awesome, but takes time to get use to. I am now throwing 30-50 feet further and on better more accurate lines. I know I still have the potential for more distance, but I am building up slowly.

Also in the midst of the grip changes I started using the hop x step, instead of the full reach back x-step.


Congratulations! Distance and accuracy in 6 weeks is quick progress indeed. You are probably in good shape because you can throw so many throws each day. For seeing what you're really capable of I suggest taking a couple of days off for recuperation. I've had almost 50' differences in the best distances of a day compared to the next session depending on how tired I am. On the other hand I'm in the middle of really brutal training session which means that I'm stiff as a zombie on a good day. Luckily a doctor told me to back off :-) I did recuperate at record speed according to the doctor.

Based on how you described the hopping x step I imagine that you are doing the hop but your arm is doing a bent elbow technique reach back. Versus straigth reach back. The way you reach back has got nothing to do with hopping or not. It's all a matter of timing if you're quick enough for throwing with both reach back methods with the x step or hopping x step. Or hopping shuffle step or shuffle steps. Get the picture? :-) You can mix all of these steps with all of the reach back methods.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Grip Questions

Postby JR » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:59 am

daniebl2 wrote:
2) The thumb pad pressure can be directed….does it matter which direction? By this I mean it can be pushed with the pivot of the disc (like snapping your fingers) or against the pivot.
3) Also, how much downward thumb pad pressure does everyone use and is it directed? Forward or backwards if the thumb nail is pointed straight up in front of you. In the past, I did little more than rest my thumb on top of the disc.
4) Is there a grip that is better suited for smaller hands? Especially in trying to get and keep the nose down. (I’ve tried the boneapane; I’m not a big fan)


The more you try to push forward and down with the pad of your thumb the higher the potential for keeping the nose of the disc down is. The trouble is that especially for those with small hands the more you try the more you need to strain your mucles which slows down arm speed and possible locks your wrist preventing wrist snap.

I've struggled with several driving grips and am not entirely satisfied with any of them. At least with wide rimmed drivers. See the articles for a picture of power grip 2. I use that with my Wraith but I don't reach to the flight plate with the fingertips. Among other grips. I can't curl my fingertips to the rims of wide rimmed drivers because of my small hands and short fingers. With this variation I get a bit more nose down angle. I need it because I think my injury tenses up my forearm muscles so that I lock my wrist eliminating wrist snap. Any nose down angle with enough muscle looseness is a huge improvement for me. For healthy people this isn't such a bad problem but the arm speed suffers if the muscles tense up. So this grip might be beneficial for throwing high with nose down. I manipulate the disc with my finger tips to achieve the highest amount of nose down angle. There are some degrees available here. It's really useful.

The downside of this grip is that it requires finger strength and that might also make the muscles more tense. So fingers or wrist down angle both can tense up the muscles. It's very personal how flexible you are and how loose you can keep each muscle group overall with different versions. Therefore everyone really needs to experiment on a field to see what kind of distances and accuracy one gets with each grip.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby mcoppel » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:11 pm

JR. yeah I am in good shape.

I only was throwing lots of throws every day for the first 2 weeks, and many times I was throwing at 70% power or less, just to get the form and grip familiar. weeks 3-6 have had some rest days in them also.

I am using the bent elbow... can't believe I didn't post that also.

What I really love about the boepane grip is the lock down feeling I can get and feel right before the snap. It did take a while to get use to the grip though, and even longer to start off with little pressure on the disc then accelerate and get a strong grip at the end.

I am hoping through some more power and strength training to finally get 375 to 400' by end of Oct or Nov. I will probably start doing some taped training to post for better critiques also.
mcoppel
Noob
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:49 am

Postby JR » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:20 am

mcoppel wrote:JR. yeah I am in good shape.

I only was throwing lots of throws every day for the first 2 weeks, and many times I was throwing at 70% power or less, just to get the form and grip familiar. weeks 3-6 have had some rest days in them also.

I am using the bent elbow... can't believe I didn't post that also.

What I really love about the boepane grip is the lock down feeling I can get and feel right before the snap. It did take a while to get use to the grip though, and even longer to start off with little pressure on the disc then accelerate and get a strong grip at the end.

I am hoping through some more power and strength training to finally get 375 to 400' by end of Oct or Nov. I will probably start doing some taped training to post for better critiques also.


This sounds great but take into account that colder weather takes some power off of muscles and heavier clothing resists throwing motions so added purity of form and muscle strength, quickness and controlling might not yield visible results until it gets warmer again. But then you really should see improvements. So don't despair if you don't see improvements once the weather gets colder. BTW. the guy who invented this grip is called Dave Bonopane.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby daniebl2 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:59 pm

Furthur,
Did you get a chance to experiment with the thumb pad pressure/direction? I haven't had a chance yet?

Anyone else have any feed back on grip pressure points / direction.
daniebl2
Noob
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Aurora IL

Postby Timko » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:03 pm

Sorry, I was busy trying not to screw up in league. Drove all right, but putted lights out to beat one of the best players in KC (and maybe the highest rated). Didn't win the open division, but got his tag!

I'll try and get to it this weekend. I'll be off the course for a few days, but maybe Sunday.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth
User avatar
 
Posts: 7708
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: KCMO

Postby gretagun » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:52 pm

I have been messing around with my thumb and pressure points a bit, and for me I find that keeping my thumb about half way over the rim and flight plate to work the best. I keep more of my thumb over the flight plate and it kind of push's down into the flight plate and against the rim, if that makes any sense. I feel I can get a tighter grip, especially between my thumb and index finger.
gretagun
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:58 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA
Favorite Disc: DX Rancho Roc

Postby radsnowsurfer » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:22 am

I had been considering asking this in another thread but because the question of grip styles came up I figure I'll ask it here, I've been using a two fingered power grip for some time know and I've only seen one other person with a similar grip to mine, and he had a significantly larger hand then mine, my fingers are rather small. most people I know throw with a 3 fingered or full 4 fingered grip, is the two fingered grip going to cause distance problems doon the line, it works pretty well for me know, although I feel like I lose a touch of control on wet days, right know I'm throwing 330-350. :?:
Joshua Olmsted
#32726
radsnowsurfer
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:32 am

Postby dgdave » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:18 am

the biggest thing with grip is comfort, nose angle, and all 4 fingers under the rim. I personally use climo's fork grip. only my index and pinky fingers are actually touch the rim while the 2 middle fingers are applying pressure. this grip helped me get the nose down which improves every thing.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General
User avatar
 
Posts: 12099
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:22 pm
Location: Central OK
Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby JR » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:57 am

radsnowsurfer wrote:I had been considering asking this in another thread but because the question of grip styles came up I figure I'll ask it here, I've been using a two fingered power grip for some time know and I've only seen one other person with a similar grip to mine, and he had a significantly larger hand then mine, my fingers are rather small. most people I know throw with a 3 fingered or full 4 fingered grip, is the two fingered grip going to cause distance problems doon the line, it works pretty well for me know, although I feel like I lose a touch of control on wet days, right know I'm throwing 330-350. :?:


I've used it before but honestly don't know how it would compare in distance and accuracy now. I was more accurate with it but once I harnessed more power from my legs and focused my power later in the throw I began to get slippages if I didn't squeeze like with death grip. Usually the extra hard grip wasn't necessary but unless I did that I got a few early slippages.

The thing that turned me off of this grip was getting bloody broken callouses on the right side of the tip of my middle finger. The good thing about the two finger power grip for me was looser forearm muscles than with any previous grip allowing for more nose down until the the overcompensation with the death grip to prevent slippages.

Thanks to the guys here I got more info about nose down and noticed that I needed to shift my weight more forward than I used to. So I can't compare the grips now because I haven't tried the two finger grip with the improvements I got this summer.

It'd be interesting to try it a couple of times only per day to save my skin and to see if I'd get more nose down with looser muscles to be able to let my wrist move and throw higher with nose down. A feat I've never accomplished :-( Preventing good practice for snapping my wrist and robbing me of accuracy and distance and some flight lines. Aargh! The times when reality slaps you into face and reminds me of the fact that there doen't exist a division for handicapped people and I'm !"#¤%& one.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:06 am

dgdave wrote:the biggest thing with grip is comfort, nose angle, and all 4 fingers under the rim. I personally use climo's fork grip. only my index and pinky fingers are actually touch the rim while the 2 middle fingers are applying pressure. this grip helped me get the nose down which improves every thing.


I'd interpret comfort with the ease and consistency of the grip and the ability to keep muscles loose enough for proper power and speed generation at correct times during the throw. Do you agree?

I'm not 100 % sure of the superiority of the 4 finger version in all cases. With less power and worse form I got more distance and accuracy out of the 2 finger version. The articles on grip said that the grip that allows for the largest range of motion and the loosest muscles is the best grip. For me the two finger grip was better. That indicates that I had enough grip strength with two finger grip for my power and form back then. I don't know if it is humanly possible for top level pros to throw at full power with two finger grip.

My first trieswith the fork grip were horrible. I just couldn't get clean releases and the pinky stuck no matter how loose I tried to keep the pinky and stacked fingers. It didn't help enough to slide down the pinky the the corner of the rim and wing. Maybe with time I could master this. More nose down is what I need and with completely loose muscles so it is tempting to try it again. On the other hand I don't remember getting any more nose down nor looser muscles this way. Any hints?
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Next

Return to Technique

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest